Disappearence

SirTacoface

So one lovey afternoon of playing some Minecraft I decided to build more on my parkour, I built a giant mountain and added redstone for puzzle parts and everything, it was crazy cool and I was having fun building it, but then the server did its reset thing... okay thats fine, happens... I relog back and its all gone. Everything I built was GONE. Enkription was building his thing and all of that went away as well as many other people complaining about their builds just going away. It was strange because I remember the map saved, is there a reason for all of this to happen?

I can't tell you why it happened, but going to ask you some things to help the techs see what went wrong. What day did this happen, and what time as well as timezone? Do you know about how much work you lost? By that I mean was it about 2 hours, so the entire period between restarts, or maybe a longer/shorter period of time?

I can't tell you why it happened, but going to ask you some things to help the techs see what went wrong. What day did this happen, and what time as well as timezone? Do you know about how much work you lost? By that I mean was it about 2 hours, so the entire period between restarts, or maybe a longer/shorter period of time?

Ah this happened CET at around 10 this morning, so if you are in america, that would be around 1 in the morning for you. Gaberios17 also mentioned this happened once last week but didnt say exactly when. I lost about 20 minutes of work, well everyone did, we were all disappointed after the server reset, however, some of the work during that time was still there, it was only the last 20 minutes. I hope that makes sense.

Not sure if related, but Creative has been having issues restarting lately. Several times in the past week it has restarted without coming back up and we've had to get a tech, and more recently when it does restart it takes a really long time to do so.

Yes, I've been present when that happens, and it happens quite a lot. This morning it did that but only for an extra minute I believe, I think you were there for that one. Also happened a few times later where its delayed.

BTW, I've heard reports of this happening a couple of weeks ago when I was on, so it's not something that just popped up. Interesting to note, it seems not everyone loses all their work. At the time I was present, I think most, if not all of my changes were saved, but some others had 5-10 minutes of work undone.

I'm actively trying to figure out why the servers all of a sudden seem to be stalling on reboots, it seems to only really be affecting c and s but it's a hard issue to debug. I hadn't heard about any kind of rollbacks though before this thread so next time it happens, or if you can remember a specific time it already has please get me the following information: exact time of build, exact time of restart, approx length of rollback, exact location in the world so I can look into it some more.

Are each of the servers hosted on separate machines?

If so, I'd look into it being a possible hardware issue. If they're on one of those sites that hosts stuff for you, I'd contact them and have them take a look.

Actually, even if they weren't on separate machines I'd look into hardware just to be on the safe side.

Update: Everyone crashed and went to the lobby and then rejoined and some things were slightly gone (approx 20 blocks off my build and 1 minute lost from someone elses), this time not as much. (thankfully). Happened according to Aypop at 4:01 A.M. EST, most of us were at spawn if that matters. there were about 6 people on, 4 of us at spawn, 2 spread out in the world. (I was watching the livemap). Hopefully this helps a little.

If so, I'd look into it being a possible hardware issue. If they're on one of those sites that hosts stuff for you, I'd contact them and have them take a look.

Actually, even if they weren't on separate machines I'd look into hardware just to be on the safe side.

I believe all 3 servers are hosted on the same box

They are all on the same box remotely hosted. They use mark2 and bungee to manage 3 servers all in one place.

I have seen rollbacks on nerd.nu before, but it was due to severe lag on chaos. I believe if a server crashes it auto restarts, so if C crashed for example, it would start again and load the last saved changes, usually from a couple minutes ago. Tech admins might be able to restore a lost build if a server did a backup, that "Map Saving" message in chat.

Edited by coolgamerovr90

I have seen rollbacks on nerd.nu before, but it was due to severe lag on chaos. I believe if a server crashes it auto restarts, so if C crashed for example, it would start again and load the last saved changes, usually from a couple minutes ago. Tech admins might be able to restore a lost build if a server did a backup, that "Map Saving" message in chat.

No, the map is constantly saving, however if some sort of hacking problems were to arise, the "map saving" is taking a copy of the map to put in another location. if C were to crash, it should not loose more than a minutes worth of work, unless the server was once again hanging, but players remain able to interact client side(which happens right before these mysterious crashes.) As far as I can tell its the same problem we were having 2 years ago, where chat on the server worked perfectly, but placing blocks does not.

No, the map is constantly saving, however if some sort of hacking problems were to arise, the "map saving" is taking a copy of the map to put in another location. if C were to crash, it should not loose more than a minutes worth of work, unless the server was once again hanging, but players remain able to interact client side(which happens right before these mysterious crashes.) As far as I can tell its the same problem we were having 2 years ago, where chat on the server worked perfectly, but placing blocks does not.

The chat working and placing blocks does not happened last week if I remember correctly. Switchviewz was on when that happened and no commands would work too. It was quite strange. But one more update: Server crashed again at the same exact time it did yesterday (ive been keeping track in my head) so I don't know if its a coincidence but it happened. I lost the same amount of work as well...

I wonder if a DDoS could cause something like this?

As far as I can tell its the same problem we were having 2 years ago, where chat on the server worked perfectly, but placing blocks does not.

What did you guys do to solve it when it happened then?

When the server restarts it saves the map before shutting down. Lately when the servers have been getting stuck, it has been when they are coming back up so no data loss should be happening then. A DoS attack cannot cause server data loss, it cab cause your connection to time out and maybe a minute or so of your blocks being placed won't get trough to the server, but you most likely will notice nothing happening on the server in that time period,

In order to debug these reports I need exact times (date, hour, minute) and locations (x,y,z) of any missing blocks. 

This is continuing to occur. The server rolled back around 30 minutes when it came back up after the restart at around 5:02 PM EDT on July 24th. Some rolled back blocks included some stuff I was working on at (-201,66,2694). Since LB retains the block logs, I was able to redo players' edits since the rollback, but this is still a big problem.

Thoughts on troubleshooting: either the server's crashing, or someone's forgetting to flush at the end of a write operation. Say, how is the server being rebooted? A script, or some built-in feature? If the former, is the script merely killing the server or is it nicely notifying the server and leaving the server to tidy up? Also, how's the autosave triggered? With a plugin, script, or CraftBukkit builtin?

Another rollback on C when the server came back up at 7:03 PM EDT. At least 10 minutes, probably more. Some blocks that were rolled back are in the area around (-1794,64,2054).

Would it be a good idea to force a save a few minutes before each restart, so that while we can still report when this happens and continue to debug the problem, the rollbacks won't be quite as devastating?

The map saves before it shuts down and there haven't been any errors in the log files from that, or when the server restarts. The next time it happens, please don't redo the area so that I can do some testing on it.

If this happens to me again, would you like me to just leave the area alone and not fix it myself?

Also maybe some of the chunks are corrupted?