[PMC] Head Admins

XkinOEC

Hello everyone,

It was brought to my attention last night by EeHee2000 who later made a post/response on the forum that we’ve made ourselves extremely concerned over inactive staff recently, yet some of the moderators we recently moved to the inactive category have been on the servers more recently than our own Head Admins.

At the time EeHee brought up the topic in mumble, which he later wrote the post about, the statistics were

ubozSjB.png

*NA signifies that they have not visited the server since the revision began. 

The numbers here represent days since they’ve visited the servers.  I am not including statistics about mumble and IRC because we are MCPUBLIC meaning we are to be known for our Minecraft Public Servers, as well as many people remain idle on these services anyways. These numbers are a bit concerning to me. It seems the Head Admins have become distanced from the servers they are supposed to be in charge of. I am well aware that the Head Admins' duties are no longer the day to day moderating of the servers, however I do feel it is quite important that they at least be active on the servers. 

-Nick

• Upvote 8

This is what we need. Back in 2011-2012 all heads were very active on the servers, but since at least last year we have formed this norm that the head admins are nothing but myths who appear very very occasionally.

I understand real life. Trust me on that, but then they have to ask themself if they are busy or burnt out of the game. That is really the defining difference and yes we do need active head admins in game and out of game.

• Upvote 4

I do think this is a topic worth discussing.  When I started to play here, many of the heads were active and interacted with everyone, now I know many players that are active that have not met a single head admin yet.   In my opinion we have two routes to take here.

Option 1 Reduce the Powers of the Head Admins

I've always considered the Head Admins to be more of a board of advisers.  It's a group of people who have been here a long time and have experienced lots, and can offer great insight when problems come up.  That being said, for being a board of mostly inactive older members, they have too much power.  Many times I see mod nomination threads that are held up for days because they need a head admin to approve it.  If the current head admins want to stay in their "advising" role, then allow the server admins to run mod nominations, training, and yes, even advertising.  This way we have you guys for help, but we don't require you for many things.

Option 2 Elect your replacement

This is what I think we need to do.  In my opinion, as a head admin, when you feel like you cannot normally fulfill your duties, visit the server, and know the community, you should elect someone to replace you and step down.  I know some of you have been head admins forever, but it may be time to select someone new.  Trust me when I say you have all done a fantastic job.  Nerd.nu has changed so much over the years, but you guys have all really contributed to there still being a great place for us to play and have fun today.  Maybe it's time for the generation of players that you mentored to take the reins.  I can guarantee you that there are multiple server admins who do a fantastic job with the everyday running of this community and would make really good head admins.     

~LetsBFehr

• Upvote 3

If the current head admins want to stay in their "advising" role, then allow the server admins to run mod nominations, training, and yes, even advertising.

My concern with this is that the server admins would have to basically do everything, and that isn't always possible. The sadmins have been having to completely recreate survival as well as doing most of the head admin tasks too, from a player's point of view anyway. I wouldn't want any of them to get burnt out or have the job half completed due to them having to many responsibilities. 

Option 2 Elect your replacement

In the past this has been a problem. When there is a head admin who isn't too popular, they tend to select someone similar to them to take their place. We then just get a chain of poor head admins that the players can do nothing about because they have no say. I can't really think of a solution for a fair way to choose the next heads, but if we were choosing candidates now I'd say Mrloud, kitcatbar and Dumbo in place for Draykhar, WCS and thrawn. We don't really have any active heads currently and although I think that those 3 did fantastic jobs whilst they were around and involved more frequently, I think a reshuffle could be refreshing for the servers.

I do think this is a topic worth discussing.  When I started to play here, many of the heads were active and interacted with everyone, now I know many players that are active that have not met a single head admin yet.   In my opinion we have two routes to take here.

I can attest to this. I met Draykhar on S a while back, and I've seen the name thrawn online, but the others I didn't even know existed until I became a mod to be honest.

Good topic. I know myself and 1-2 of the other heads have had a plethora of life issues lately that have prevented us from playing. At least for myself, things have finally quieted down this last week and I'll be around substantially more. That being said, us headadmins do need to take a more active role in the server. It's not fair to to the staff or playerbase if we're not around to lend a helping hand. Those of us that are dodgy in our activity levels need to start leading, or get out of the way for someone who will.

• Upvote 8

Good topic. I know myself and 1-2 of the other heads have had a plethora of life issues lately that have prevented us from playing. At least for myself, things have finally quieted down this last week and I'll be around substantially more. That being said, us headadmins do need to take a more active role in the server. It's not fair to to the staff or playerbase if we're not around to lend a helping hand. Those of us that are dodgy in our activity levels need to start leading, or get out of the way for someone who will.

This is exactly, spot on what we need.

Perhaps we can get a feel for how head admins feel about their role now?  We truly do need stronger leadership and in the coming weeks I hope to see a significant change that we can all agree will benefit us in the end. 

• Upvote 1

I also wanted to comment here.  For those who didn't know I had some health issues that came up and put me in the hospital for a bit.  However, I'm back in the swing of things now and you can expect those numbers to jump up significantly for me.

However, I do want to comment that there are a lot of things that we do as a part of our positions that don't require us on the servers a lot, and while I do like to come on the servers to help out with modreq's and such, finding time to play (which I'm going to assume is what most of the above login counts are about) isn't necessarily going to portray an accurate representation of our activity levels.  That's like trying to say Deaygo doesn't do much for the servers because he's not logged into them.  I just wanted to point this out.

• Upvote 2

However, I do want to comment that there are a lot of things that we do as a part of our positions that don't require us on the servers a lot, and while I do like to come on the servers to help out with modreq's and such, finding time to play (which I'm going to assume is what most of the above login counts are about) isn't necessarily going to portray an accurate representation of our activity levels.  That's like trying to say Deaygo doesn't do much for the servers because he's not logged into them.  I just wanted to point this out.

Remember this?

A lot of what the HAdmins do is "behind the scenes" stuff, which can give the false impression of inactivity (which makes real inactivity that much harder to spot).  I thought this was a great idea, but obviously it petered out fast.  And no wonder, thrawn was trying to single-handedly make a blow-by-blow daily account, no way that was sustainable.  But what about a weekly summary, contributed to by the whole team?

• Upvote 2

I get the behind the scenes idea, but again that seems to be excuses for why none of our ingame players who are maybe new to the servers within 5 months have NO idea we even have head admins. We need to establish some kind of median that please everyone. Back in the day, shouldn't be the "golden age" where we could consult our head admins in game and not have to sift through IRC and wait long periods of time. That is the kind of direct leadership that we require.

• Upvote 2