[PMC] Why don't we use the jail anymore?

smdavis93

What I think was a very good idea was brought up to me by AvadaKedavra03. He suggested using the jail to punish players rather than banning so many. You could either set the length of time they will be jailed for, or what Avada suggested, make it so they can get out of the jail by doing something like /rules, then going through them to find the rule they broke, and then doing /leave (rule #), or something like that. 

I still like to use the jail, especially when it comes to hackers and griefers. Put them in there for a few minutes and speak to them ensuring they know what they did wrong and why it isn't allowed. Not speaking down to them or anything, just be friendly and helpful and they're more likely to stop and continue playing. Jail is for when they're doing physical things that you want them to stop without removing them from the server.

I think we need to get into the habit of muting players, also. There've been numerous bans recently that could've been sorted out by muting a player, for verbal things like harassment or excessive chat spam. I believe players can still message whilst muted so you can speak to them quickly and they shouldn't continue.

They're both good steps to use before kicks/bans because the player never leaves the server, if they get kicked they'll be more inclined to stay off and not return.

• Upvote 3

I still like to use the jail, especially when it comes to hackers and griefers. Put them in there for a few minutes and speak to them ensuring they know what they did wrong and why it isn't allowed. Not speaking down to them or anything, just be friendly and helpful and they're more likely to stop and continue playing. Jail is for when they're doing physical things that you want them to stop without removing them from the server.

I think we need to get into the habit of muting players, also. There've been numerous bans recently that could've been sorted out by muting a player, for verbal things like harassment or excessive chat spam. I believe players can still message whilst muted so you can speak to them quickly and they shouldn't continue.

They're both good steps to use before kicks/bans because the player never leaves the server, if they get kicked they'll be more inclined to stay off and not return.

I like the idea of using a timed jail to punish people, but every time I'm tried muting someone, they've just continued spamming using /me. So, at the very least, /me needs to be disabled for muted players.

Honestly, there will always be ways for a harassing/spamming player to get around being muted, via pm or modreq. If someone has been muted, ignores a request to stop what they're doing, and continues with /me or whatnot, it's indicative of a person who simply does not want to play normally on the server, and warrants a ban.