Staff Members' Behavior in Ban Appeals

HailSaban

Going back to the original subject, I wasn't particularly impressed with this reply from CROCKODUCK on a topic marked [head admin]: https://nerd.nu/forums/index.php?/topic/2422-ongoing-problem-with-gags-headadmin/?p=17736

Firstly this is obviously a head admin matter. If I were in this position, I'd add "[headadmin]" to the title if it wasn't there already, then leave it.

I would not:

1. Complain about the terminology "gagging" when it's completely clear what was meant. It's rather stroppy to demand people use the same words as me.

2. Announce my decision not to move the topic. "I'll allow it." come on, what is this? Good forums don't have mods like this.

3. Ask the player to be patient, when they haven't said anything to indicate impatience.

4. Link to their notes, which saves almost no time given head admins are well equipped to view mcbouncer notes themselves

If you want to reply with something that doesn't make you sound derisive, try:

"Hello [name], thank you for raising these concerns. Our head admins are currently busy so there may be a wait time but I'll contact them on your behalf so that they are aware of your topic."

1) this player in particular knows exactly what he's doing as he has been warned by staff more than 20 times.

2) Barney, if you have a problem with how I handled that, please contact a head admin or me personally. There's no reason to post it here. Thanks.

• Upvote 2

2) Barney, if you have a problem with how I handled that, please contact a head admin or me personally. There's no reason to post it here. Thanks.

I disagree, Barneys comment is perfectly reasonable and on-topic. This thread is specifically for discussing how Staff Members behave in appeals, Barney is just voicing concerns along with providing evidence to support them.

EDIT: Just to note, I'm not involving myself with any of the content in Barneys post, purely crocks comment which I quoted and highlighted.

Edited by Four_Down

While I agree with four that barney certainly has the right to post what he did as it is relevant to the thread at hand, I must say that I disagree with his opinion about this specific case.

Firstly, he corrected the player on calling the gags simply because we officially refer to them as mutes. I don't really see anything wrong about that.

Secondly, I do believe that as a moderator of the forum, it is his prerogative to decide whether something was posted in the wrong place.

Thirdly, while asking for patience initially isn't always what is done, I believe it is justified when asking for a headadmin or when one is required, as they tend to take longer in replying than the usual banning moderator.

Fourthly, while linking to the mcbouncer profile is admittedly a little unusual, it's not that far a leap from what us usually done. That being just copy-pasting the information from the mcbouncer profile.

Edited by Diznatch52
  • Upvote 2

Okay, I'm going to post here briefly so this doesn't end up into a long and drawn out conversation.

The part about stating that he was allowing the posting is something I would have expected from any staff member that was reviewing an appeal.  It might have been stated a little different but it was more or less one staff member addressing that they know that this wasn't probably the place that this should have been posted since it doesn't specifically deal with a ban but they will leave it to be dealt with by a head admin. 

They could have probably corrected their terminology in something that wasn't so blunt, however It could have been felt necessary to do so for when the player verifies the rules they understand that is the terminology we use. 

It is also normally standard terminology to ask a player to be patient during their appeal.  Our policy states that a player should wait until either a staff person responds to their appeal or 48 hours have passed before they bump or make repetitive posts asking of someone to look at their appeal.  Asking for a user to be patient is very much needed.

• Upvote 3

Quick question, since we're talking about it.  If the ban appeals forum isn't the appropriate place to post a mute appeal, where is?

Currently you either /modreq about being unmuted or discuss it with the staff member in game via /msg. There isn't an official place for it since we don't use mutes anywhere near enough and quite a few staff members prefer to just hand a ban to the player instead.

• Upvote 1