bounties can't be collected by clanmates

ender chests return

beds in the nether no longer explode

true random spawn

a smaller map

a higher iron buff

public clans for new players

arenas

Unfortunately, these sort of changes won’t be enough to bring or retain new players next rev because S has already begun to falter in the <10 dangerzone (at least when I’ve been playing).

Civcraft has added more sand to our sandbox, but we’re not really making anything with it. Some players have experienced more of its potential than others, but for their experiences to be shared and made a bit more substantial the server has to provide a structure to bring players together and give them objectives to work towards.

This rev the discharge/border control threat provided that incentive, but that wasn’t sustainable without a lot of x-ray abuse. Building has to return as an aspect of conflict alongside grief and new players need to be included in the action. That’s not something we are going to have without a traditional spawn surrounded by large building projects.

This is my proposal:

Split the map into three regions. The biggest one is S as it exists now, the other two will have a city built on them and at the end of the rev these cities destroy each other.

Note this MS paint masterpiece,  http://imgur.com/Aq5W681

Islands A and B essentially have P’s rule set (but rather than PVP or grief resulting in a ban, the offender is pearled), don't freak out they're pretty small. These areas are for the more social play styles, for people who want to build something cool and use it in PVP when it’s done. We’ll need to nominate a player or a small group of players to oversee the building of a city on each island and the construction of defences. People will need to work together to strengthen their city or set out to explore the wastes of islands C.

Island C is for PVP. Hiding, raiding looting ect. It has ore plumps and nether portals that A-B do not. As someone who plays mostly on this island it’s the same deal as last rev except maybe one of the cities wants my resources or pvp skills. Maybe I feel like allying with a city or maybe not. Perhaps the players on Islands C decide to wipe out both cities.

The islands would be linked together with warps. Warps from a skybox spawn to  A, B or C and warps between A/C and B/C (squares and circles in da pic).

Say the rev lasts for 2 months. The first 6 weeks would be set-up after which the current S rev's rules go global. Which city survives the next two weeks? The one with the biggest defences or the best traps? The sneakiest invasion plans? The one that bribed the most pvp’ers?

This is mish mash of what’s made S, P and the CTF events good. It could well be sucky and unworkable. At the very least it’s something different. S won’t survive as an underpopulated civcraft clone.

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 2

I think that would be cool, but I don't think it's right for S. Personally, I think the S should start distancing itself from P, and from being more safe because I think we are draining from some of the same player pool already with the way it is now. I'm not really sure how to make that take effect, but I do think that advertising is a big part of what we need for any direction we decide. Again this is just my opinion, and everyone's entitled to one!

• Upvote 3

S needs to see a increase in the cost of the prison pearl (>1 diamond block for the time) and a decrease in the amount of time pearled (2 hours -> 30 minutes, etc). Right now it's too easy to keep someone indefinitely pearled with little effort.

Also changing snitches so that they're more expensive to set up and you can't have too many of them in an area (can't have them closer than 50 blocks to each other, for example) would definitely help as well. Clans having a massive network of snitches may be nice for them, but it puts new players at a massive disadvantage when those clans will be able to hunt them down and raid them before they can even have a proper base started.

Edited by thelifelessone

I disagree.  It's already very expensive to keep someone pearled indefinitely.  I've had to put quite a lot of effort into keeping you pearled.

I can mine out about 20 diamonds in about <1 hour's time on S right now. 20 diamonds turns into 40 hours of time pearled. It's not hard at all; you're probably just not mining very efficiently.

Edited by thelifelessone

If we're seriously going to make PrisonPearl insanely expensive, we may as well remove it. As I said in another thread, basecamping people is much more fun, fairer and actually works. 

My point behind increasing the cost of PrisonPearl is to make it a harder decision than it currently is to keep someone trapped. That is, if you're going to invest X amount of diamond blocks (doesn't need to be diamond or blocks, just using as example) then you obvious have a very good reason to keep them pearled (raiding base, etc). Otherwise there is no point in keeping the player pearled, other than to inconvenience them, which for some players is going to cause them to just leave the server and find somewhere else to play.

Edited by thelifelessone
  • Upvote 2

So what you're proposing is a prison-style setup except with islands?

No.

I think that would be cool, but I don't think it's right for S. Personally, I think the S should start distancing itself from P, and from being more safe because I think we are draining from some of the same player pool already with the way it is

I can't think of a time when we haven't drawn from the same pool. What's the problem with people playing on both servers?

The furthest we can go from P would be a chaos/faction/kits server, but where's the appeal in that for a community like ours?

As important as ads are making sure the server itself engages people will do more to increase the number of players.

If people don't like my pitch on how to do that, then I want to hear theirs. We all agree that S needs to be more distinctive and active. The details of how we bring this about are up for discussion.

If we're seriously going to make PrisonPearl insanely expensive, we may as well remove it. As I said in another thread, basecamping people is much more fun, fairer and actually works.

I pretty much view pearls as something to make raiding easier. I don't see the value added by keeping someone pearled after an attack.All that does is reduce the number of players available for pvp.

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 2

I can't think of a time when we haven't drawn from the same pool. What's the problem with people playing on both servers?

There's no problem per se but there is the fact that player cannot be playing on both servers at the same time which in turn results in not as many players on both servers, admittedly this affects S more than P, but still. 

The furthest we can go from P would be a chaos/faction/kits server, but where's the appeal in that for a community like ours?

As important as ads are making sure the server itself engages people will do more to increase the number of players.

I don't know, but I'm not opposed to trying it. What is a "community like ours" and right, but S before being changed was obviously engaging for people because it didn't change from before when it had many people on at a time, but it just becomes less fun when there are few people available to fight and compete against. Ads are definitely a priority in my mind.