Why was this thread locked without a little more discussion?

SkrapssparkS

https://nerd.nu/forums/index.php?/topic/2462-new-poll-should-mods-only-be-voted-on-and-have-powers-on-one-server/

"We have discussed this before and have no intentions of implementing it." There seemed to be quite positive responses to this, I don't think it should be taken down before the community had a chance to fully express their thoughts on the matter.

• Upvote 9

There have always been and will always be situations where there is a shortage of mods on servers and mods from the other servers will change over to help out.  I think that it is insane to have mods for a specific server only.  The mods are here to help with the servers in general.

• Upvote 6

What is the harm of voting for all mods together? The not knowing someone well enough is not really a mark against them in a vote, at least it shouldn't be.  If there is a big issue with a nomination, the person will contact the head admins with a reason to why they don't think that they would be a good fit.

• Upvote 5

People have been pointing out that some people are getting voted no on by mods they have never spoken to or interacted with instead of getting voted i don't know this player. The reason I was a bit upset with the thread being closed was because it'd be good to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

• Upvote 6

Again, the "no" votes aren't meant to be a negative.   They are just a "I'm not 100%" and if there are issues with the person, contact the head admins about it.  The only thing separating out into the different servers would do would segregate the mods.   If they feel like they are classed as an S mod, they might not even bother looking at the P and C nominations.  Also, how do you decide which server the person should be modded for?  It couldn't just be determined by number of hours on each server.  What if they are just as active on multiple servers?  Should they be nominated in all of them separately?  I think that this would add a whole bunch of bureaucracy that is not needed.  A mod should just be a mod in general.

• Upvote 5

The player could request which server to be modded in. A lot of mods already don't bother going over to the other servers and often when someone has a load of no votes they will not be modded, I was fairly sure depending on the voting thread mods with a certain percentage of no votes very often didn't get in.

• Upvote 1

Also, since Mrloud was quick to reply with this response, could we please be shown that this was actually looked into, and to what degree it was? Thank you.

This thread happened in Admin Chat, and unfortunately will not be made public. I should have explained why we decided to not implement this instead of giving the reply I did and for that I'm sorry. 

• Upvote 4

This thread happened in Admin Chat, and unfortunately will not be made public. I should have explained why we decided to not implement this instead of giving the reply I did and for that I'm sorry. 

Couldn't you show us (at least a screenshot of it's existence would work) some proof? I appreciate your explanation, but I would like further evidence this has been discussed.

Let me reword how I approach this. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to explain this to us, but I would like that future threads of this nature not be closed immediately without much discussion. Thank you.

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Upvote 6

I believe that some productive discussion could have come out of the thread, but the admins have concluded that we will not be separating moderators into ranks according to which servers they frequent, based on reasons which have already been mentioned in this thread. The thread was closed because it would be misleading for us to suggest that the proposed policy could happen. While we're not interested in implementing that policy in the form in which it was originally proposed, we are open to suggestions for how our current system could be improved upon. I believe that a thread with the goal in mind of developing changes to an existing system would be more constructive, more open to compromise, and less contested than a poll asking whether or not people believe that a certain change is a good idea.

I apologize for not making this clearer, earlier on, and in the future I'll make sure we do our best to provide sufficient explanations if similar actions are taken.

• Upvote 9

I apologize for not making this clearer, earlier on, and in the future I'll make sure we do our best to provide sufficient explanations if similar actions are taken.

Thank you Dumbo, your explanation is much appreciated. I still believe that it was in the wrong to close a post that was merely to see where the majority of the players opinions lie, whether or not a decision had already been made. It was not posted to initiate any direct change in policy. In regards to taking in more suggestions, how would you recommend doing so? Another thread on the forums? A Reddit post? Another absolutely pointless mumble meeting? Or actually taking a suggestion straight to the heads? How will we know what suggestions were "submitted" or rejected? Or if it's even been brought up yet? Will someone tell us? I don't mean to sound pushy, but I genuinely want a better way to have discussions other than the forums where everyone just downvotes everything they don't agree with and all everyone does is stab at each other's necks.

In the meantime I will soon be posting a poll of my own, and I sincerely hope that I won't have to fear that it'll be shut down before anyone even gets the chance to talk about it.

• Upvote 4

Where do you have the right to close a discussion that someone else conducted without any intention of it being used by the servers what-so-ever? I do not care that you have no intention of following through with its suggestion. This post belongs to NEVAstop and him alone. he did not do this for your or the servers sake and the fact that you closed this post appears to be repressing the community. 

NO, you should have not said anything other than your own opinion on the matter and let the community speak as they please. This is NEVAstop's post to close, he is not offending anyone or breaking any rules. You had no reason to close the post. 

The thread was closed because it would be misleading for us to suggest that the proposed policy could happen. 

So what your telling me that repressing the community is perfectly fine? To be perfectly honest, I am shocked to see something like this come from you of all people Dumbo. Regardless if this is what the new(and remaining old) administration of nerd.nu believes to be acceptable, then I feel I will soon be leaving the community.

• Upvote 8

I'm not as upset about it as other people, but the thread shouldn't have been closed. Maybe the community would have come up with a better idea instead of just the admin team. I can't agree with discussions being stopped on community based servers for any reason honestly. 

With that I still would have disagreed with the OP. As a mod who mainly plays on S, i've found myself asked by other players to come help on C or P from time to time if another mod isn't on. I have no problem with this, and normally go to help out. It makes it easier for everyone if problems on the servers arise without other players on.

• Upvote 3

The discussion meant for nevastop’s thread has already spilled into this one and to stop it going anywhere else that thread needs to be unlocked.   

The players will have their say regardless, but a civil discussion could be aided by staff being more open to the debate outside of their private circle; especially when that debate is reaching different conclusions to their own.

• Upvote 2

For what it's worth, I don't agree with the decision to close the thread, but I understand the reasoning. I believe the situation could have been better handled by explaining that while moderators would not be separated by server, discussion of ways to improve our current system would be welcomed. I believe the best option currently is for players to continue discussion on this thread, which has adopted the intent of the thread which was closed.

• Upvote 2

Relevant thread from way back when: http://nerd.nu/archives/index.php?p=/discussion/14742/proposing-a-small-shift-in-forum-moderation.

Lately it seems we're very eager to close topics. Most forums I frequent simply let topics die of their own accord. There have been quite a few threads closed where someone might ask a question and a staff member might respond. It's best to at least wait for confirmation from the OP that they're satisfied with the answer, and if possible only close threads if they're inappropriate for the forum or are causing moderation problems that can't be solved with forum bans or deleting posts.

I'm sure we've got the capacity to moderate threads past the earliest convenient place we can close them.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Mrloud and Dumbo, if closing the thread was a mistake correct it. Telling people to take the discussion to a thread on a different topic is a cop-out not a compromise.

Hadmins shouldn't be dictating the flow of conversion on these forums by shutting down threads, they like every other player should have to argue their points. You might have had the arguments a thousand times in private channels like admin chat. You might have reached a solid final decision. But if you don't check to see how it corresponds to what the community thinks you're missing out on a lot of useful additions and criticisms.

Far too often for a public server decisions are made in private and input from players given afterwards. The admin team has gotten better at implementing suggestions which improve on policy presented to the community in this way. However when somebody calls into question the reasoning behind existing policy they're dismissed as being deconstructive. You may have already explained the reasoning behind it to other staff, but it's bloody disrespectful to assume players couldn't add to your understanding or even change your mind on the subject.

We're making progress. Before it was just "here's our idea live with it". Now it's "here's our idea, got any tips on improving it?" We need to reach a stage where we can be like "ey yo yo let's come up with policies together then make them better".

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 4

We're making progress. Before it was just "here's our idea live with it". Now it's "here's our idea, got any tips on improving it?" We need to reach a stage where we can be like "ey yo yo let's come up with policies together then make them better".

I agree, the community funds the servers, so the community should be entitled to transparency. When I first joined, everything was very transparent, if one had an issue, you could always go to ludeman84 and he would get it resolved without issue and post a forum post about it. A lot of players nowadays feel like any criticism will get them labeled "toxic" or grouped with other players that have criticized the servers as if there was some sort of #conspiracy to destroy the server.

just sayin'

-gsand

;D

Edited by gsand
  • Upvote 4

I agree, the community funds the servers, so the community should be entitled to transparency. When I first joined, everything was very transparent, if one had an issue, you could always go to ludeman84 and he would get it resolved without issue and post a forum post about it. A lot of players nowadays feel like any criticism will get them labeled "toxic" or grouped with other players that have criticized the servers as if there was some sort of #conspiracy to destroy the server.

just sayin'

-gsand

;D

And now we can't call out anyone or deal with any bad behaviour because people immediately say we are biased and oppressing them

• Upvote 3

Do you really have to downvote all my posts?

-gsand

;D

If i feel like the comment is detrimental to the server, I do. If I actually tried to post my opinion it also is sure to get completely downvoted, after all, only non staff get to speak their minds. We have to be respectful and courteous and never upset anyone or else we are unfit for staff.

• Upvote 3

Except you downvote Ridiculous's last comment stating something very important about how the forums are being moderated. I feel his comment was worthwhile and constructive, and gave a different perspective. These forums are made for the community to feel comfortable having open discussion with whatever comes on there minds about the server (or other things) and having it closed because it was discussed and finalized in private makes me feel that there is no point in having the forums public!

• Upvote 7

If i feel like the comment is detrimental to the server, I do. If I actually tried to post my opinion it also is sure to get completely downvoted, after all, only non staff get to speak their minds. We have to be respectful and courteous and never upset anyone or else we are unfit for staff.

I honestly cannot even tell if you're being sarcastic... If that's legit, than I pity you for taking this so seriously. If it's not, than I can say that I downvoted you because your snide remarks are more detrimental to this discussion than anything Ridiculous and Gsand have said.

• Upvote 6