Up votes and down votes.

SkrapssparkS

Up votes and down votes.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need up votes and down votes on the forums?

Originally I had voted "no" to removing the upvote/ down vote system as I thought it was a helpful tool to easily express an opinion. However, in current discussion threads it has gotten completely out of control. Members and staff are routinely down voting specific users without explanation, causing drama and derailing the original discussion thread. If we, as a community, cannot utilize the vote system with maturity and without bias towards certain users, we should not be afforded the privilege to vote.

I want to be clear, I am not lumping everyone into my statement.  I am well aware there are many users that use the voting system in a respectful way and thank you for doing so. It is unfortunate that the privilege may be lost due to a minority of users abusing the system.

• Upvote 3

I agree, djt. Voting had never bothered me or affected me negatively so i didn't think a change was needed, but i understand now about how seeing a lot of downvotes on a post can tint the actual content poorly and how frequently topics are derailed into arguments about why downvotes are being used. I think we should try removing downvotes since they're the ones that are causing the problems.

• Upvote 1

I think leaving just upvotes lets others lend support to a post's content without having to sit down and craft a reply themselves.  You can easily gauge support for a post or idea by glancing at upvotes without the downvote brigading (real or imagined) and without the negativity associated with downvotes.

However, we don't strictly need either as the question is framed.

• Upvote 1

IMO the voting system adds nothing but potential drama and harsh feelings all around. If you agree/disagree with someone, you should be constructive and explain why you feel how you do instead in a comment that builds on the conversation instead of just clicking a button. Also, I have a feeling more people would rather downvote someone then call them out on something via a comment.

EDIT: I do like the idea of an upvote only style, helps show support of a thread as Jchance said

Edited by nolanater5711

Guest Former Staff

Thank you for making this topic SkrapssparkS, I had noticed that the most recent topic had become locked for new comments due to the duration of the thread running its course (I appreciate the link above, Schererererer).

I never responded in the previous topic because whether you vote my post up, down, left or right, doesn't affect me. I'm only interested in seeing people's opinions, right or otherwise.

Due to some of the recent topics, I would prefer to see the removal of at least the down voting button or the reputation system as a whole in it's current format (possibly a new one that rewards points for contributing new topics / polls and replying, within certain forums - as a rough idea). To go into more detail, I feel that some people are focusing more on the fact that someone has clicked a red button on their post and we're seeing important discussions being derailed by this minority.

I'm getting tired of seeing people attacking each other, not everyone in this community is the best of friends but we're all here together. Most people have different opinions so how about we focus on staying constructive with each others points. (that is not a question but a polite request)

They're pointless and abusable, as we saw when slide downvoted every post gsand had made until that point. No admin had enough balls to call him out on it and put up a rule against malicious use, so the 2nd best option is to remove them altogether IMO.

Let's not get into specific people please. I can point numerous cases from a variety of people(staff and nonstaff) downvoting posts certain people make just to downvote, with many recent threads providing excellent examples, not that this hasn't been an issue for a while now.

• Upvote 3

I was only pointing out the most egregious example. I don't want people to vote in ignorance.

Then let's make the problem more apparent than pointing out one specific case passive-aggressively aimed at the admins.

Since my views haven't really changed, I'll just copy/paste what I said from the other thread:

The way I treat upvotes is an acknowledgement that I read someone's post and agree with it, where I then either add onto the existing ideas, or leave it alone because there's nothing more to add. The issue with downvotes is that most of the time, exacerbated to even worse levels recently, is that it's just used as a dislike button without adding anything to the discussion. It also tends to be used as a petty form of personal attack where users just downvote each other because they dislike that person without putting much thought into what is being said. Unlike an agreeing opinion, with dissenting opinion you generally have to agree to someone else's arguments or present your own.

As such, I'd like to see downvotes removed, since they're not useful for anything in particular that a well-written counterargument wouldn't do far better at. If they're being used to downvote trollish/counterproductive posts, it's better to just ignore them rather than start vote wars that don't add anything. Granted, there's still going to be vote wars with people upvoting their friends and ignoring other opinions, but at least it's better than yelling "I DISAGREE" and downvoting people while moving on without saying anything.

To add, even though we're the "Official Reddit Minecraft Servers"(or at least like to cling to that title) it doesn't mean we have to adopt Reddit's philosophies and mechanics into what we do. To make a somewhat poor analogy It'd be like if a company based in Chicago had to do everything the "Chicago way" because that's where they happened to set up. 

• Upvote 1

They're pointless and abusable, as we saw when slide downvoted every post gsand had made until that point. No admin had enough balls to call him out on it and put up a rule against malicious use, so the 2nd best option is to remove them altogether IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if this post was also down voted, my previous two posts made after I mentioned it on that thread were also down voted.

Let's not get into specific people please. I can point numerous cases from a variety of people(staff and nonstaff) downvoting posts certain people make just to downvote, with many recent threads providing excellent examples, not that this hasn't been an issue for a while now.

It's EVERY post (margin of error 5%) by the same person.

-gsand

;D

Edited by gsand
  • Upvote 2

I voted to keep upvotes. They distinguish interesting posts and keep threads clean of redundant "I agree with x" replies.

Downvotes,on the other hand, are no substitute for explaining why you think something is wrong. If you believe a comment is "detrimental" to the server then you report it. If it turns out that you're the only one who finds it that offensive chances are that some frank explanation might improve your position. The biggest issue I have with the forums is the passive aggressive undertone in a lot of posts and it’s fuelled in part by an unproductive cycle of downvoting.

Edited by Ridiculous

If we're removing voting, it should be removed completely. Don't allow people to agree, but not to disagree.

I'd say the division here can still allow for disagreement. If you agree, upvote and either leave it at that if there is nothing more to say. or add a reply that elaborates upon and adds to what has been said. If you disagree, post a dissent as a reply - if someone has already made the dissenting point you hold, upvote that comment. This would tend to neuter knee-jerk reactions and promote thinking and discourse about why something garners your opposition.

• Upvote 4

I'd say the division here can still allow for disagreement. If you agree, upvote and either leave it at that if there is nothing more to say. or add a reply that elaborates upon and adds to what has been said. If you disagree, post a dissent as a reply - if someone has already made the dissenting point you hold, upvote that comment. This would tend to neuter knee-jerk reactions and promote thinking and discourse about why something garners your opposition.

How would members show that they disagree with actions such as these?

• Upvote 1

I think leaving just upvotes lets others lend support to a post's content without having to sit down and craft a reply themselves.  You can easily gauge support for a post or idea by glancing at upvotes without the downvote brigading (real or imagined) and without the negativity associated with downvotes.

However, we don't strictly need either as the question is framed.

While I do agree, personally, I don't like that having upvotes means you don't have to actually reply and provide your own opinion. It's lazy and it'll have the same effect as downvotes when that one person is upvoted to shit, and everyone else's comments are at 0. Get rid of both of them, it's absolutely pointless to get rid of one and keep the other.

• Upvote 1

How would members show that they disagree with actions such as these?

Hopefully situations like this won't happen too frequently, and I'm sure that we've all learned from this example that it's a lot easier and more productive to let the discussion happen and only step in with locking threads if the OP has requested it or the thread has come to a conclusion and run it's course.

And then be accused of "personal attacks", being "detrimental to the server" and not having "honest intentions"?

I think there was and is no reason for accusations like that to be made, if players want to have arguments then they can take it to PM, keep it out of where we are meant to be having constructive discussion - that goes for both the accuser and accused.

We got the forums to have a sensible place to discuss the server without having opinions and comments pile up and hidden. If we get rid of downvotes then I'd like to see everyone acting more maturely in the discussions, if there are comments that are totally irrelevant and only take away from the post then they should be removed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this post was also down voted, my previous two posts made after I mentioned it on that thread were also down voted.

It's EVERY post (margin of error 5%).

-gsand

;D

So uh, I accidentally downvoted your post.  no shit, total accident.  There appears to be no way to undo that, so I'm sorry.  I just accidentally clicked it while scrolling on my touchpad.

Given the content of your post, I'm accidentally the best troll ever though.

• Upvote 3

So uh, I accidentally downvoted your post.  no shit, total accident.  There appears to be no way to undo that, so I'm sorry.  I just accidentally clicked it while scrolling on my touchpad.

Given the content of your post, I'm accidentally the best troll ever though.

fixed

• Upvote 1

And then be accused of "personal attacks", being "detrimental to the server" and not having "honest intentions"?

Sounds like a great replacement to a little red button.

Let's be honest, the little red button has the same problems ascribed to it. Downvote sprees instantly get characterized as personal in all but the most unanimous of cases. At least responding allows for a conversation for the amiable among the opposition.

• Upvote 1