Clearing water on C within confined structures by modreq

MasterCommaThe

I've been thinking for a while that it is about time that we set rules for, and allow modreq-ing the draining water on C within confined structures.

The process that goes into clearing structures of water by sand filling and mining is not at the heart of what I believe C players want to do with their time. Many do it because they have to. Many form community projects to get it over with sooner. I feel we should give our players a place where they can have a choice.

The rules I propose are simple:

• Players may modreq the removal of water within "watertight" structures.
  • Please do not make this modreq for trivial amounts of water (<50 blocks).

Mod Policy:

• Such structures will be immediately protected greifers from "breaking the dam"

That covers the logistics, now to head off a few opposing arguements.

"But what if some players want to mine?" - Nothing is stopping them from mining as usual on C, or if they want such an experience with meaning, we have three other worlds where it can be had. 

"If we allow WorldEditing of one block, won't we have to do them all, opening up land holes everywhere?" - Nope. Water is fundamentally more difficult to remove by hand than normal blocks and deserves to be treated differently. In addition, the rule I proposed ensures that for larger removals, players will first have to construct a proportionally larger water-tight "bowl". This reduces the likelihood that a player will modreq water removal, and then never do anything with the space. 

"Won't we see a lot of skyscrapers move out into the open ocean then?" - Yes, until we make future maps with "low altitude" biomes on land so this only gets done for aesthetic appeal. Honestly, this isn't a problem.

So how about it?

• Upvote 1

I'm against allowing for the removal of water for a player.  It has always been the policy to make a player clear water by hand.  This has been made easier when creative mode was introduced and insta-break was instituted.  In trying to make creative as vanilla as possible (with the exception of exploits, stability issues, and blocks that could be used to grief) players would normally not have access to world edit or mod commands.  

I'm up for allowing the other admins to comment on this and see their opinions however, my opinion is No.

Guest Former Staff

I really like this forward thinking.

If we are to pull open any of the cartographs from the last several creative revisions, it's clear that oceans play a large role in the map, in some cases, they dominated the map, with the exception of revision 21 where it appeared more toned down (within the world borders). If future revisions continue to have such vast areas of ocean then I would like to see some form of compromise when it comes to clearing out water as first you not only have to replace all the water with another block, but then you have to dig out those blocks. An additional concern is that to dig an area on land, you have the advantage of enchanted pickaxes and beacons. Ocean digging has no such reprise.

From the feedback within the Biome Poll and Thread, we're looking into greatly reducing oceans so that if someone wants to create a build at bedrock within the ocean, this will be a choice and not forced upon them due to running out of space as there will be plenty of other areas to build upon.

For now, based upon how the map for revision 25 is shaping up, I don't believe that players will be forced to create large projects in bodies of water so I don't think we will need to clear larger areas of water for players.

• 3 months later...