Only having up votes is ridiculous

bmx20042004

We need to ether have up votes and down votes or nothing at all. If we can only up vote something it makes the community have a false sense of how people feel, it doesn't show both sides but only one.

Discuss?

If you have an issue with a post, you can make a counterargument instead of just blindly & seemingly without reason downvoting a post, like I'm doing right now. If you agree, that's what the upvote's for. I see no issue with this system's logic. If you can, please enlighten me.

EDIT: Perhaps continuing to call the upvotes is the issue here.

Edited by ROCKONN
  • Upvote 5

If you have an issue with it, you can post a counterargument instead of just blindly & seemingly without reason downvoting a post, like I'm doing right now. If you agree, that's what the upvote's for. I see no issue with this system's logic. If you can, please enlighten me.

It's ridiculous that you can only up vote and not down vote. My main issue with it is if I disagree with something I can't down vote it but if I agree I can. Disabling down votes is fixing an issue that wasn't an issue to begin with. There's no reason to have them disabled but you shouldn't just pick one side and disable only down votes.

Blindly agreeing to everyone's posts isn't constructive either. If you disagree, you should provide your counterargument or provide your reason. It's absurd to think that you don't need to provide a reason as to why you agree. If everyone just upvotes everything, they won't contribute to the discussions.

• Upvote 2

Unless you have something to add to a point that's been made, there's no reason to write out a full explanation saying you agree with something. That's just a drawn out "^" posting. The upvote system simplifies that, saving time & space. It's absurd to think that you'd need to completely restate your approval of a post in another posting.

Disabling down votes is fixing an issue that wasn't an issue to begin with. There's no reason to have them disabled but you shouldn't just pick one side and disable only down votes.

What issue is/isn't that? People downvoting posts en masse and not posting a counterpoint? I believe this is a suitable solution. All that it needs now is a new name besides "upvote."

If you feel strongly enough to publically disagree with something in any way, you should be expected to voice your reasoning for it.

Edited by ROCKONN
  • Upvote 3

I've read through quite a few forum posts now, and I'm a little sceptical as to the utility of "per-comment" voting.  Casting a vote on one particular chunk of or comment within a larger debate feels like atomizing arguments that should be seen as greater wholes, or like being part of a voting setup that imperfectly indicates the weight of a particular pro or con.

The situation's not helped by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to what the votes are meant to represent: recognition of contribution or redundancy? agreement or disagreement? and so on.  It's also a bit disturbing to me that the tone of debate, when it becomes heated, "poisons" the way people see the voting of others... votes become more likely to be attributed to bad faith than to genuine belief, as though any of us could make windows into each others' souls.

This is a forum.  Doesn't the word "forum" imply discussion and debate primarily?  To aid the progression of that debate, I'm in favour of:

• eliminating the per-comment voting altogether
  • making a positive effort to read previous comments in a thread and not repeat anything that's been substantially said before
  • when the thread starts to "fizzle" or when matters otherwise need to be closed, lock commenting and post a poll for a final vote...
  • ... this vote to be a secret ballot, where how people voted is not visible to others

Hopefully, this might remove some of the personal animosity that crops-up from time to time.  It would also give a finality to things debated, and aid how discussions unfold.

EDIT soz, didn't know this was discussed on other threads.  Moral - check first! :/

Edited by WyndySascha
  • Upvote 3

Here is something I'd like to point out about this scenario. We claim to be a reddit minecraft server. What does reddit have? Up and Down votes, on every comment I can choose up or down. This feature is what draws the forums and subreddit to a similar stance. If you get rid of one option, get rid of both because we have no business being facebook where we can exclusively support something. It's unnatural, and why people complain to facebook about implementing a dislike button till they get so annoyed that they move to reddit.  What if we were to get rid of just the NO option in the modvote? Sure, in all actuality, it means nothing everyone is spoken about prior to the vote, the admins choose who they would be comfortable with... then we are allowed to publicly show whether or not we'd like you to be a staff by saying yes, no, or don't know well enough. But in all seriousness, getting rid of downvotes would be like getting rid of the NO option on the modvote, all candidates would be chosen because there is only one option.

• Upvote 2

If we should keep upvotes and downvotes because we're the reddit servers, why do we not have threaded discussions too? Why do we not have modmail? Why do we not have subforums that anyone can start and moderate? Etc. You can't cherry-pick one reddit feature and say "we need this because we're the reddit servers".

If you want to show disapproval at something, leave a reply saying why

The comparison to mod voting is not a great one because polls and post votes fundamentally serve different purposes. Nothing gets decided from post scores.

I welcome this change - it seems like a good middle-ground.

• Upvote 10

It's ridiculous that you can only up vote and not down vote. My main issue with it is if I disagree with something I can't down vote it but if I agree I can. Disabling down votes is fixing an issue that wasn't an issue to begin with. There's no reason to have them disabled but you shouldn't just pick one side and disable only down votes.

Down votes were removed because they were causing a lot of issues. In the middle of threads, users would call out others for down voting and not explaining themselves. Others would just go through and down vote a specific user no matter what they said. Just take a look through some of the more recent threads on the forums. Down voting took away from the main discussion.

At the moment, up votes have not caused any drama so I see no problem with them staying. If they start to become an issue, we can always discuss other options. 

• Upvote 4

I don't think it was necessary and honestly it's simply childish for people to change a policy about the servers to stop them from getting downvoted. I don't see what positives the new system is going to bring. 
People are saying "you should have to point out why you disagree with x post" - nah, I don't think anyone here has the energy or the time to write up an essay in response to every single thing we disagree with. I'm sorry, but this was an absurd policy change sparked by certain players getting flared up about getting downvoted, and I don't support it. 

Voting is an idea of a system, nothing in it dictates how it will be used. We have to do that ourselves. We tried following redditiquete, so I'd suggest something a bit more general. Maybe it's something like don't be afraid of posting short but constructive replies, try to ignore who the poster is, and try to find new reasoning and allies at every opportunity.

• Upvote 1

So disappointing to see the actions of certain Staff Members leading to features being removed, they're meant to be setting an example.

Hopefully this does allow for more positive discussion here on the forums and it doesn't lead to more bickering over who is right and who isn't.

To those of you who are set on having downvotes, you can always make your threads on the Subreddit instead.

• Upvote 10

If we should keep upvotes and downvotes because we're the reddit servers, why do we not have threaded discussions too? Why do we not have modmail? Why do we not have subforums that anyone can start and moderate? Etc. You can't cherry-pick one reddit feature and say "we need this because we're the reddit servers".

If you want to show disapproval at something, leave a reply saying why

The comparison to mod voting is not a great one because polls and post votes fundamentally serve different purposes. Nothing gets decided from post scores.

I welcome this change - it seems like a good middle-ground.

I'm not saying we need it because we're reddit servers. I'm saying it is what brought the forums and subreddit together. Reddit is about user choice, upvotes and downvotes. If we want to call ourselves reddit servers, we should too be about choice, and if I cannot downvote to show my disapproval on something, then why can I upvote to approve of an idea? What if we did the same on the subreddit? Got rid of downvotes. Obviously with how forums are laid out, you cannot have nested comments, but realize we're better off getting rid of them all together so to not cause this only positive support system like facebook has.

At that, I am willing to give it a try, lets see what happens, but when our staff seem to think our proper affiliation with minecraft is through reddit, they will not enjoy a single option forum.

I've done my best to stay out of this but it's really getting ridiculous.  To begin with, I really don't see why there is public outcry in this.  You guys voted on this issue in a public poll that was asked to be conducted.  The majority vote was to only keep the upvotes.  You guys were begging for a democracy and got what the majority asked for.  This is your bed, you've made it, now lay in it.

• Upvote 5

I'm not saying we need it because we're reddit servers. I'm saying it is what brought the forums and subreddit together.

I don't think that's a valid reason at all, the two aren't brought together because we can upvote and downvote ideas.

If removing downvotes makes the discussion better, I'm all for it. They really don't and shouldn't impact anyone's opinions, they're just an extra to show if you support an idea or not. I never understood why anyone might take a downvote as a personal attack and if you did think that you were being ganged up on with votes, so what? Grow up and ignore it. The time for discussion on votes has now passed, for now we will only have upvotes. Give it a few weeks and everyone will have stopped caring that downvotes were removed, it's such a small change.

• Upvote 2

I wanted to contribute to the topic, but because I can't voice my opinion in a regular way anymore due to restrictions imposed by the staff, I've decided to leave it here instead:

G1tSvx8.jpg

And then you wonder why people prefer to discuss stuff on the subreddit.

Edited by erdtzac_
  • Upvote 3

Last i checked, the poll showed a community consensus to keep only upvotes...if you have a problem with that you could easly go check that post and read the different arguments. Its a vote, dont complain when most people who voted vote for something diffrent.

Edit: If you need information about if you dont agree with someone or have a reason they need to be reported, Dumbo summed it up in a server news post, go check that out.

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 1

Come on, you can't rely on an upvote downvote system to agree/disagree. That's stupid. If I go to someones profile and see them with 10000 reputation, does that change the fact that they are a complete moron sometimes? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope.

Edited by Random
  • Upvote 3

This is honestly a bit comical. It hasn't even been 24 hours and you're complaining about having to explain yourselves? The idea is that no one can go on a down voting spree when they are upset at one particular post or person. We voted on this, so I apologize if not everyone got their way but it happens. It's why we ask for majority, cause if that system works for a country, I hope it can for a Minecraft server.

• Upvote 3

Along the same line as CROCK said, it has hardly even been 24 hours and we are already complaining about it? The community voted on it and this was the result of what the community wanted. Not everyone is going to be happy with the decision but that doesn't mean we need to go complain about it not even a day after it is imposed. Why don't you give it some time to see how it works? This is how the community voted and we need to try what the community wanted, not what the people that disagree with it want.

I wanted to contribute to the topic, but because I can't voice my opinion in a regular way anymore due to restrictions imposed by the staff, I've decided to leave it here instead:

G1tSvx8.jpg

And then you wonder why people prefer to discuss stuff on the subreddit.

A few things I want to address about your post. Firstly, "restrictions placed on us by staff." We are not placing any restrictions in anyway, the community voted for this to happen. We went with what the community wanted. We are not forcing anything. Secondly, "voicing your opinion in a regular way." So your opinion can only be expressed in downvotes and upvotes? You can't type out your opinion or give actual feedback? The only way you can voice it is by pressing a button? Or in this case showing a picture of a downvote?

• Upvote 5

I've done my best to stay out of this but it's really getting ridiculous. To begin with, I really don't see why there is public outcry in this. You guys voted on this issue in a public poll that was asked to be conducted. The majority vote was to only keep the upvotes. You guys were begging for a democracy and got what the majority asked for. This is your bed, you've made it, now lay in it.

Who're the "you guys"? Maybe the comments in this forum present the opinions of individuals and that's why they're inconsistent? Let's imagine that players aren't an amorphous blob of unified disagreement for a second. Not everyone who wanted to vote or debate this topic was aware that the polling thread would suddenly translate into policy. The last couple of polls we've had have either been ignored or closed without explanation.

Maybe our sudden transition to democracy has more to do with how some of "you guys" have been using downvotes inappropriately.

imho I think your comment sucks poop.

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 5

I didn't vote to just keep up votes, I wanted all the voting system removed as it does nothing for discussions. However the majority of players that took part in the vote wanted to keep up votes. Not my preference however that is what the majority of players want and it seems like a good compromise. This wasn't made because staff went on down voting sprees it was made because players wanted it removed.

• Upvote 2