Only having up votes is ridiculous

bmx20042004

I didn't vote to just keep up votes, I wanted all the voting system removed as it does nothing for discussions. However the majority of players that took part in the vote wanted to keep up votes. Not my preference however that is what the majority of players want and it seems like a good compromise. This wasn't made because staff went on down voting sprees it was made because players wanted it removed.

It was a bit of both really.The vote was decisive this time around because the behaviour in question changed minds and this result gave the Hadmin team a way to resolve the issue without bruising Slide's pride.

I think we've yet to prove players wanting something is the deciding factor in policy changes on these servers.

Edited by Ridiculous

This is simple...

Down votes were removed because of problems and unnecessary drama created by them. People were (as stated earlier in this thread) going through and down voting every post certain people were making. (This wasnt just a staff problem and after a poll it seemed as if the community agreed) If those of you who were doing that would like to continue, go visit the sub reddit, where we have no control of. However, since we do have control over this forum, we removed it. I don't think there has ever been a case where someone has abused the up vote button.

How it is now? Well if you don't like a comment, just don't reply or reply stating that you don't like it and give a reason. Be productive to the conversations on the forum. Unlike down voting something and being counter productive. And yes, that's more or less what the down vote button did. It left the comment maker wonder what you didn't like about his comment, what would you change or if there was a better idea you had, what was it?

Bottom line, the down votes aren't coming back anytime soon. You have been given options for you to continue to project your disapproval with a comment but down voting is no longer one of them.

• Upvote 4

I think that the whole upvote/downvote system needs to go.

Having only upvotes allows for a possible false consensus if the thread is closed quickly.

-gsand

;D

I feel like this is a perfect explanation of how I feel.

I find it very ridiculous still no matter what anyone says. Plus on top of everything this poll was made by a user and no one knew if it was going to be put into affect and many people didn't vote at all. Could we get a more official vote for an accurate count of what the community wants instead of people following a certain "click".

I find it very ridiculous still no matter what anyone says. Plus on top of everything this poll was made by a user and no one knew if it was going to be put into affect and many people didn't vote at all. Could we get a more official vote for an accurate count of what the community wants instead of people following a certain "click".

The change was made by not 1, but 2 public polls complete with large amounts of discussion surrounding them. The first poll indicated a tie between downvote removal and keeping everything, with a minority suggesting removal of both. Assuming the people who want both removed also want downvotes removed, then there were more people wanting downvotes removed than keeping them. 

The second poll, after even more discussion and drama fueled partially by downvoting indicated a majority of users wanting removal of downvotes, with the second-most opinion being removal of both.

With both of those, there was a strong indication that a large percentage felt a change in voting should be made, and of those two removal of downvotes was the more popular option. I question how many polls and discussions must be made before some are finally satisfied with the results.

And after all that at the very least I suggest trying it out for a while to see what becomes of it. This change is intended to promote more healthy discussion in the future.

• Upvote 1

The change was made by not 1, but 2 public polls complete with large amounts of discussion surrounding them. The first poll indicated a tie between downvote removal and keeping everything, with a minority suggesting removal of both. Assuming the people who want both removed also want downvotes removed, then there were more people wanting downvotes removed than keeping them. 

The second poll, after even more discussion and drama fueled partially by downvoting indicated a majority of users wanting removal of downvotes, with the second-most opinion being removal of both.

With both of those, there was a strong indication that a large percentage felt a change in voting should be made, and of those two removal of downvotes was the more popular option. I question how many polls and discussions must be made before some are finally satisfied with the results.

And after all that at the very least I suggest trying it out for a while to see what becomes of it. This change is intended to promote more healthy discussion in the future.

I understand there has been polls however none were done by staff and none were "official." I feel there should be an official post and poll done to decided. I also still feel it's very unfair to be able to upvote but not downvote. Why should we only have one but not the other? Just because someone feels they were targeted doesn't mean they were, in fact the people complaining seemed to be abusing the system more so than the accused. 

• Upvote 1

I understand there has been polls however none were done by staff and none were "official." I feel there should be an official post and poll done to decided. I also still feel it's very unfair to be able to upvote but not downvote. Why should we only have one but not the other? Just because someone feels they were targeted doesn't mean they were, in fact the people complaining seemed to be abusing the system more so than the accused. 

Why must they be done by staff?  This goes back towards what everyone has been asking for which is more trust and interaction inside the community by players, not staff.  If it were a "staff poll" it would just be written by a staff member, no different at all.  

• Upvote 1

Why must they be done by staff?  This goes back towards what everyone has been asking for which is more trust and interaction inside the community by players, not staff.  If it were a "staff poll" it would just be written by a staff member, no different at all.  

So what your saying is if I make a poll:

Should nickeox be a head admin?

Yes

No

Maybe

and the results turned out

Yes 79%

No 6%

maybe 15%

Does that mean I am going to become a head admin?

The wording doesn't matter, but it does mean that we as players don't know who were trusting our votes to.  Votes held by players and moderators really should be considered as just 'food for thought', and used for a more official and deciding vote later done by those who are in a position to implement such changes that were votes on. 

• Upvote 1

I know him, a lot of people do, he's far from new... I don't see how knowing the player is in any way relivent...

Edited by Difficult1

Yes

No

Maybe

Yes 79%

No 6%

maybe 15%

The wording doesn't matter, but it does mean that we as players don't know who were trusting our votes to.  Votes held by players and moderators really should be considered as just 'food for thought', and used for a more official and deciding vote later done by those who are in a position to implement such changes that were votes on.

The diffrense is the community up votes and down votes... They don't vote for head admins.

The community is involved in that prossess in every way, and if general consensus is to remove the vote system then it should be gone.

Why this post is continuing I have no idea, you really have an issue with someone's post then you'll probably be bothered to type out why you have a diffrense in opinion.

• Upvote 2

Yes

No

Maybe

Yes 79%

No 6%

maybe 15%

I would hope you're a bit smarter than that but who knows. Like diff said it matters who and what the poll is about, but headadmins added their input and said since we already had a poll that was a tie, they are adding a new one to test the waters again so to speak. Should the community not be trusted with making polls that can influence something nickeox?

I would hope you're a bit smarter than that but who knows. Like diff said it matters who and what the poll is about, but headadmins added their input and said since we already had a poll that was a tie, they are adding a new one to test the waters again so to speak. Should the community not be trusted with making polls that can influence something nickeox?

Let me repeat what has already been said - staff votes are guaranteed to be taken under solid consideration as opposed to player votes; player votes need to gain enough attention and constructive discussion to be considered, and even then a result is not guaranteed. 

This is not what he's saying, and you assuming that is the case is really ignorant in my opinion. He is saying that an opinion-related poll should not be the determining factor for removing downvotes, regardless of countless people saying that the vote system is rubbish. He never said that the community should not be able to handle these votes, he was referring to the fact that a poll that should have been seen as an opinion based poll was taken in as a "community decision."

• Upvote 1

This is simple...

Down votes were removed because of problems and unnecessary drama created by them. People were (as stated earlier in this thread) going through and down voting every post certain people were making. (This wasnt just a staff problem and after a poll it seemed as if the community agreed) If those of you who were doing that would like to continue, go visit the sub reddit, where we have no control of. However, since we do have control over this forum, we removed it. I don't think there has ever been a case where someone has abused the up vote button.

How it is now? Well if you don't like a comment, just don't reply or reply stating that you don't like it and give a reason. Be productive to the conversations on the forum. Unlike down voting something and being counter productive. And yes, that's more or less what the down vote button did. It left the comment maker wonder what you didn't like about his comment, what would you change or if there was a better idea you had, what was it?

Bottom line, the down votes aren't coming back anytime soon. You have been given options for you to continue to project your disapproval with a comment but down voting is no longer one of them.

dovwnvote

• Upvote 1

You remove us the option to dislike a post, yet you keep the option to upvote it. In my opinion, if you're going to take action against downvotes you might as well remove upvotes as well, because the entire system is really circlejerky at the moment.

• Upvote 2

You remove us the option to dislike a post, yet you keep the option to upvote it. In my opinion, if you're going to take action against downvotes you might as well remove upvotes as well, because the entire system is really circlejerky at the moment.

I dislike this post because......

There's your downvote. You can dislike posts all you want, but Instead of blindly clicking a button, your expected to make a counter argument. The only reason this post has become "circle jerky" is because some people seem to just want to down vote and not say why...

the entire system is really circlejerky at the moment.

What?

There is no point in arguing this anymore, there were 2 discussion threads, 2 polls and everyone had ample opportunity to have their say and get their points across. As stated by cyotie:

I very much doubt that upvotes will also be removed in the near future, if a head could say whether they're open to change or if it's staying as it is for now that'd be good because it'd put an end to these discussions which are currently just repeating what has already been said.

• Upvote 2

This is not what he's saying, and you assuming that is the case is really ignorant in my opinion. He is saying that an opinion-related poll should not be the determining factor for removing downvotes, regardless of countless people saying that the vote system is rubbish. He never said that the community should not be able to handle these votes, he was referring to the fact that a poll that should have been seen as an opinion based poll was taken in as a "community decision."

So something most of the community agrees on and votes for should be completely ignored? Yea, makes total sence.

• Upvote 1

I approve this post because we keep using this disagree downvote logic

I welcome discussion on how having only upvotes compares to having neither upvotes nor downvotes, but I also ask that we wait a while to see how the new system works out. If it becomes clear after a time that having only upvotes aren't benefiting discussion, then sure, we can revisit the decision, but for now, I think it's worth it to try out the option that the plurality of the community voted for.

For those complaining that the most recent poll wasn't "official": No, it wasn't. It was a player-generated poll intended to gauge the community's thoughts on how the upvote/downvote system should be altered. The admins didn't treat the poll as a decisive result, but rather as a strong indication of which option the community favored; and since we felt a change would need to be made soon, it made sense to consider the results of the latest poll in coming to a decision. If you believe the poll didn't do its job of quantifying which option the community preferred based on the fact that it wasn't run by a staff member: I agree that it's not a bad idea for the staff to take a more active role in getting the community's opinions on matters, but I think it would be both redundant and inappropriate for us to clone an existing poll on the premise that, since it wasn't posted by a staff member, it couldn't be trusted.

• Upvote 3