Survival Rev 26 feedback

BeastBruiser

Survival Rev 26 gameplay  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on ring road with random spawn within 200 m of road and use of beds

• Prefer current setup
    • Prefer current setup without beds
    • Prefer 0,0 spawn with cardinal roads
    • Prefer 0,0 spawn with cardinal roads and without beds
    • Other, please describe
    • Undecided/No opinion
  2. 2. Opinion on citadel plugin/griefing rules/raiding

• Prefer current setup allowing grief and and allowing chest raiding
    • Prefer old rules preventing grief but allowing chest raiding
    • Prefer old rules preventing grief with LWC
    • Other, please describe
    • Undecided/No opinion
  3. 3. Opinion of prisonpearl and nerdbounty plugins

• Prefer current setup
    • Incorporate prisonpearl into nerdbounty
    • Remove prisonpearl and keep nerdbounty
    • Keep prisonpearl and remove bounty
    • Remove both
    • Other, please describe
    • Undecided/No opinion
  4. 4. Opinion of custom nether with netherratiofix plugins

• Prefer current setup
    • Prefer custom nether with vanilla 1/8 nether/overworld ratio
    • Prefer vanilla nether with custom nether ratio
    • Prefer vanilla nether with vanilla 1/8 nether/overworld ratio
    • Other, please describe
    • Undecided/No opinion
  5. 5. Opinion on XP plump

• Prefer Vanilla
    • Prefer x2
    • Prefer current setup (x3)
    • Prefer x4
    • Prefer x5
    • Prefer x6
    • Prefer x7
    • Prefer x8
    • Prefer x9
    • Prefer x10
    • Prefer x15
    • Other, please describe
    • Undecided/No opinion
  6. 6. Opinion on safebuckets

• Prefer current setup (no restrictions of flowing liquids... except milk)
    • Prefer old setup-(modreq for flowing liquids)
    • Prefer no restrictions on water but modreq for lava
    • Prefer no restrictions on water or lava with a plugin to mitigate the risk of grief
    • Other, please describe
    • Undecided/No opinion
  7. 7. Please read carefully and only select the options you want (Questions grouped alphabetically, leave boxes un-selected if undecided/no opinion)

• A: Prefer current map size (circle of radius 3600 blocks)
    • A: Prefer old map size (+/- 2000 blocks all directions)
    • A: Other, please describe
    • B: Prefer current nether portal network (2 portals on roads, 8 hidden portals) (current)
    • B: Prefer old portal network (8 portals on roads, 4 hidden portals)
    • B: Other, please describe
    • C: Prefer having netherroads
    • C: Prefer not having netherroads (current)
    • D: Prefer plumped ores by biome (current)
    • D: Prefer plumped ores everywhere
    • D: Prefer no ore plumping
    • D: Other, please describe
    • E: Prefer having jukealert (current)
    • E: Prefer not having jukealert
    • E: Other, please describe
    • F: Prefer having simpleclans (current)
    • F: Prefer not having simpleclans
    • F: Other, please describe
    • G: Prefer no enderchests (current)
    • G: Prefer enderchests
  8. 8. Please read carefully and only select the options you want (Questions grouped alphabetically, leave boxes un-selected if undecided/no opinion)

• H: Prefer no pearl drops from endermen killed in the end (current)
    • H: Prefer vanilla drops from endermen
    • I: Prefer CobraCorral plugin allowing locked horses (current)
    • I: Prefer no locking of horses
    • J: Prefer no villager trading (current)
    • J: Prefer customized/rebalanced villager trading
    • J: Prefer vanilla villager trading
    • K: Prefer use of pearlnerf (gives a pearl cooldown when tagged by combattag) (current)
    • K: Prefer no cooldown
    • K: Prefer permanent cooldown
    • K: Other, please describe
    • L: Prefer custom recipies for extra building blocks/items (current)
    • L: Prefer vanilla crafting (no access to several building blocks)
    • M: Prefer vanilla enchanting (current)
    • M: Prefer vanilla enchanting with nerfed enchants
    • M: Prefer use of enchantism plugin
    • M: Prefer use of enchantism plugin with nerfed enchants

Now that Rev 26 has been up for 4 weeks and we have all had some time to play and see how various changes affect gameplay, let's hash out what we like, dislike, or think needs tweaked, both for the continuation of this rev and for the next.

Please keep all comments constructive and keep discussion civil.

Sadmins reserve the right to take poll results into advisement without necessarily following all outcomes of the polls to reach a configuration of plugins, settings, and rules that works well together.

• Upvote 6

Roads + spawn: I believe the aim of a random spawn is to give everyone a chance of a quiet first day, and that the point of a central spawn andor roads are to have a place for PvP. If those are widely believed then it would make sense to have random spawns, and roads to the centre of the map. I would like the centre of the map to not be claimable, buildable or an arena (like current), but I guess that's another discussion.

Safebuckets: What if people could request a region (that will always have the build:all flag), so that, with the safebuckets plugin I'm thinking of by Elliot, the region members could have flowing liquids in it, and other people have static liquids both in the region, and their liquids that flow into the region.

I'm not entirely sure what nerdbounty without prisonpearls would be, but it sounds interesting. Same for nerfed vanilla enchantments.

For this set of questions:

1. B: Prefer current nether portal network (2 portals on roads, 8 hidden portals) (current)

2. B: Prefer old portal network (8 portals on roads, 4 hidden portals)

3. B: Other, please describe

I voted for "Other, please describe."  I would prefer making our own nether portals.

Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 4

I think we need some kind of area protection that can only be used by large groups of people. Currently it takes ages to prep for above-ground building. It would be cool if new players were assigned to one of a few large cities and could build there, at least.

The questions in the poll aren't just about feedback for this revision, so the title of the thread is a bit misleading.

To answer questions on where we want the server to go, we need to know what we're working from. We can't work from a blank slate because everyone has different ideas and suggestions for what they want the server to be. A lot of these questions are depend on each other, for example, the layout of the nether portals depends on if we have roads, whether endermen drop enderpearls or not is dependent on what happens with the prisonpearl plugin and so on.

To give actual feedback on this revision alone, I really enjoyed it. It was a great change of pace and really enjoyed it as a novelty, but I don't think it's sustainable as the current low player count shows. 

• Upvote 4

Opinion on ring road with random spawn within 200 m of road and use of beds

Keep random spawn for new players around the ring road but for players with a bed, when they die too close to it, instead of random spawning around the ring road, randomly spawn say in a 200m radius from their bed.

Opinion on citadel plugin/griefing rules/raiding

I really like the depth citadel gives but do appreciate the difficulty of building above ground without being griefed so here is my idea for a compromise.

Essentially, any protected block would re-appear after some time after being broken. How long? I was thinking of 2 options, either a set time, say 6-8 hours after its been broken or like 30 minutes after the person that broke the block leaves the area. The blocks will not actually drop (to avoid duplication) so the way you would permanently remove them would be to use the Acid Blocks (which we could tweak the warm up time if necessary). Inventory blocks would still drop their contents upon breaking and personally I would say they should respawn as well, just empty.

Opinion of prisonpearl and nerdbounty plugins

Essentially my choice is add prisonpearl support to nerdbounty but also a few other tweaks.

1) A fee - something small, like 3%

2) A cost associated with each item and a minimum bounty amount. So say 1 diamond is worth 64 and that is the minimum bounty amount, every other item is then given it's own value. If Gold is 16 for instance, it would take 4 gold ingots to create a bounty, or say coal block is 1, it would take a stack of coal blocks. This also ties into the fee since it now knows how much to take. The plugin would have to keep track of how much you owe and potentially take the fee out of your next bounty. Say you only use 1 diamond, you can't take 3% of 1 diamond so it saves that you own that 3% (of 64), now next time if you put up 64 blocks of coal, it would take 3% of the coal blocks.

3) The person making the bounty must verify the claim, this way clan mates just can't kill their friend and get the bounty.

Opinion of custom nether with netherratiofix plugins

I really love the look of the custom nether but damn is it hard to navigate. Having roads built in would help greatly but i think we should make it all the Hell biome so overworld mobs don't also spawn in.

Opinion on safebuckets

I very much want to keep the ability to place flowing water/lava, the only downsides i've seen are with covering someones base in cobble mountains. A patch was brought to my attention that could limit it somewhat by slowing down water flowing over lava to the speed lava flows. Effectively making it take much longer to create the cobble.

Portals - Other, please describe

I too would prefer user created portals, perhaps with a cooldown or detecting if another portal is close by and limiting the creation of new ones that way. Otherwise it would be very easy to grief simply by making tons of new portals.

• Upvote 3

I like the questions you chose very much.

I feel strongly that land claims must come back along with plugins and/or rules that make it reasonable to build nice bases on main roads.  This, along with a return to a central spawn with cardinal roads and no bed or random spawning, is a tradition on S that we should not do without.

• Upvote 3

One thing I don't really like about the questions is that we're basically choosing between what we have now, or what we had before. There's an "other" option, but it's still based around the premise of the two. I feel there should be some way to post new ideas as well. Maybe a second thread could be set up for solely posting new ideas? 

• Upvote 1

One thing I don't really like about the questions is that we're basically choosing between what we have now, or what we had before. There's an "other" option, but it's still based around the premise of the two. I feel there should be some way to post new ideas as well. Maybe a second thread could be set up for solely posting new ideas? 

Using other to describe a new idea is completely acceptable.

• Upvote 1

Sadmins reserve the right to take poll results into advisement without necessarily following all outcomes of the polls to reach a configuration of plugins, settings, and rules that works well together.

Thank you for including this. While the staff is always delighted to get constructive feedback, the servers are not exactly a direct democracy meaning the results of this poll may or may not be reflected in future changes. This is more about taking the temperature of the community now that people have had a decent amount of time to get used to the changes made in the test revision. 

*takes off moderation staff hat* 

*puts on Mickey Mouse ears*

That said, while I know some people have really enjoyed this revision, I've never had less fun on all of my time on Nerd. At the beginning of the revision, I foolishly chose not to go to the end of the map and dig to bedrock, and as a result my base was x-rayed no less than thrice (twice resulting in bans and full rollbacks, once in an added note) within the first few days, and probably a fourth time which resulted in losing all of my valuables despite reinforcing my chests. I lost four or five days of work because I foolishly believed people who insisted that diamond protection would be adequate. 

Let me be perfectly clear: Citidel comes at the price of significantly increased x-raying. While we've had issues of people digging into hidden bases or collecting more precious resources than they should because of x-ray in the past, this revision stands as a testament as to just how bad x-raying can get even on a Minecraft server that's well-moderated (not to toot my own horn, but we really are good at rule enforcement relative to just about any other public server). Allowing the raiding of poorly-reinforced chests,—and that includes diamond, which is a poor reinforcement—means that we create blocks of potentially massive resources that incentivise x-raying in a way which is unprecedented on our servers. The effects have been devastating, and heavily time-consuming. As of two days ago, I believe, I've banned twice as many people for x-raying in one revision than I have for all other revisions combined. It's a problem we can generally only react to unless we're following people around in modmode constantly, and it's a huge pain in the ass to deal with both as a player and as a moderator. I've done my best, but my best isn't good enough. I'm absolutely convinced that while the staff is doing its (our) best, we're not up to the task of eliminating the impact x-raying has on gameplay. Between the volume of x-raying and the improved x-raying skills we've seen this revision, to obfuscate investigation, x-ray investigations are all I've done on S for the last few weeks and it's still not enough. I've gotten in zero gameplay time. And it's worth mentioning that I love doing moderns for things like griefing and flowing, the normal stuff, because it makes me feel helpful. The x-raying, though, is causing me to lose a lot of faith in what I'm even doing as a moderator. It's depressing. 

I've started on my big, beautiful farm this revision, but no one will ever see it because it's at bedrock near the edge of the map. If someone does find it, odds are it's because they're x-raying and I'll either lose all my stuff because they make it look like they've accidentally found my base, or they'll just be another ban to add to the pile and all my stuff gets rolled back minus the enchants. Yay. I don't even see the point of building on a public server if no one ever sees what I build. My test builds near the road were all destroyed, even protected with a combination of stone and iron, so I know my public wheat farm would be destroyed. 

I've seen almost no one the entire revision (outside of modmode), and I've never been killed. The only reason I have decent armor and weapons is for resource collection, to avoid things like falls or lava or mobs. Because I never see anyone, I've been fortunate not to be prisonpearled, but I've seen new players immediately prisonpearled, ruining the entire experience for them right off the bat. Prisonpearling is the most malicious thing we've ever added to gameplay, and it serves no purpose other than taking satisfaction from preventing other people from enjoying the game. It's not like PvP, where you can duel with people, win or die, then choose to duel again or flee. Once you're imprisoned, you just have to wait it out or, as many do, modreq it and wait for a mod to show up and explain that this is an intentional part of gameplay on Nerd. I've had to explain that several times, and I'm embarrassed doing so. 

That's my $0.02. 

• Upvote 1

Why?

no

Edit: It should be obvious, nerd.nu doesn't have a place for Factions. Survival is a pretty unique kind of server that many people play to get away from the normal Economy Factions etc type of servers. There's nothing new we'd have to offer if we became that type of server like dozens if not hundreds of other servers have. 

Edited by EeHee2000

"Prefer old rules preventing grief but allowing chest raiding" I accidentally voted for this one, so it should have 1 less vote. I meant to vote for "Prefer old rules preventing grief but allowing chest raiding."

But other than that, i can side with the current popular vote. Except Xp plump doesn't need to be x15, thats a bit ridiculous 

• Upvote 2

"Prefer old rules preventing grief but allowing chest raiding" I accidentally voted for this one, so it should have 1 less vote. I meant to vote for "Prefer old rules preventing grief but allowing chest raiding."

But other than that, i can side with the current popular vote. Except Xp plump doesn't need to be x15, thats a bit ridiculous 

Yeah, I don't think people are remembering that a large XP plump really dulls the gameplay as there's no difficulty in getting enchants at all. X15 or something similar is fun for a while, but gets old once Diamond Armour is brought out. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I don't think people are remembering that a large XP plump really dulls the gameplay as there's no difficulty in getting enchants at all. X15 or something similar is fun for a while, but gets old once Diamond Armour is brought out. 

Because I know I love sitting in a grinder for 2 hours trying to make a set for a five minute fight. I didn't vote for x15 but I think it should be a large plump to have more people playing, and less players sitting in grinders trying to be able to play.

• Upvote 1

Grinding for hours to enchant PVP gear that is gone in a matter of seconds during a fight is a horrible waste of time but is an absolute requirement in order for anybody to PVP.  Nobody goes around in poorly-enchanted diamond suits.  You either go around in a fully-enchanted suit or you go around in crap armor.  The fact that there's really no middle-ground is not easily fixable, but we can make it so that players that don't have time to grind for hours can still enjoy the PVP environment.  Finding diamonds for a suit is enough of a time investment that we should make it easy to get that suit up to par.  A PVP server should not require a player to spend several hours grinding between fights.  I would really prefer to make armor enchants practically free.  The easiest way to do that is with a huge XP boost.  Unfortunately the XP boost also makes it too easy to enchant tools & weapons, but it's still preferable to having to enchant the stupid suit.

X15++

• Upvote 3