Why are threads being closed?

bmx20042004

The fact that multiple threads get closed for no reason worries me. Why are staff taking advantage of this to stop conversations that may still be going on? For example I just saw this thread and wanted to ask a question in said thread but can't now because it's closed. There's no real reason it feels that any of these are being closed besides people feeling the conversations are over. However what if like in my situation, someone wants to keep the thread going but now can't because of it being closed? I feel closing threads really shouldn't happen at all. In all honestly we shouldn't need to.

• Upvote 4

What gets me is that they claim to message the original poster asking if it's okay to close it, but I know a few people who never received said message.

I am one of those people. I never received a message and all I saw was a post in my thread which had no reasoning really. No drama or ridiculousness was happening but in that persons opinion it should have been closed. It's scary that this is a "community server" but we deal with people that don't want the community to speak it's mind.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, no one should be going into threads asking if it should be closed. Stop closing posts, go back to the old method of closing posts, when the content is so outdated that there really isn't anything more to talk about it. As well as obviously malicious post that are in no way trying to generate civil discussion. All these polls, and questions, and threads are not made to instigate any form of action, your community's players are genuinely interested and are constantly being shut down.

• Upvote 6

Staff shouldn't be able to close threads because they're offended by the content, that's not how being part of a community works. 
I think the staff need to lighten up in general, because over the past half-a-year there's been a load of tension between players and staff - a lot of it comes from the strict enforcing of rules on the server. 
Lenient staff is not something we have at the moment, and that really needs to change in order to lighten up the atmosphere. Banning players for tiny little things that can simply be reversed is a waste of time for everyone, and does nothing but piss people off. Things that don't affect anyone in any shape or form are being seen as serious incidents, which is ridiculous - we're playing a game.

• Upvote 2

It's hard to even play the game when every single stupid thing you do is grounds for some form of punishment.

It makes many players like myself not want to play on this server anymore. It's sad I wish things were better and staff wasn't as ridiculous but it's the way it is now it seems.

• Upvote 2

I agree with this. Lately a lot of staff have been dictating their views onto the community and shutting down things they personally don't want to be discussed. It should not be like this, the community should be free to talk and and discuss things as they like as long as they are within the boundaries of the rules, which they are. I also agree that sometimes we are too tough with our rules, I've seen people warned for things that if you were on other servers you would not be warned for doing it.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to even play the game when every single stupid thing you do is grounds for some form of punishment.

I agree with this and the lenient staff thing. No one is a perfect human being, everyone needs to be reminded of the rules sometimes.

Somewhat accurate quote from another community server similar to this:

"How you are chosen as moderator is by not ever being banned AT ALL, this includes never breaking the rules..."

I am glad we don't have this setup in place, I can think of two heads and one server admin who have been banned. Good to see the staff can overlook the wrongs people have done, and be willing to trust them. Sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Staff shouldn't be able to close threads because they're offended by the content, that's not how being part of a community works.

I don't think any threads have been closed due to personal problems with the content. The several most recent threads that were full of arguments and unproductive discussion in the end were rightfully closed when we'd reached a conclusion.

• Upvote 3

The fact that multiple threads get closed for no reason worries me. Why are staff taking advantage of this to stop conversations that may still be going on? For example I just saw this thread and wanted to ask a question in said thread but can't now because it's closed. There's no real reason it feels that any of these are being closed besides people feeling the conversations are over. However what if like in my situation, someone wants to keep the thread going but now can't because of it being closed? I feel closing threads really shouldn't happen at all. In all honestly we shouldn't need to.

For the example you chose to use that you were trying to ask a question in,  You can clearly see that the thread starter had okay'd the closing of the thread.  As with all threads, the original poster can ask for a thread to be closed.  If you felt that the conversation could have used a little more time, you could have opened up another thread about it. 

The threads that have been closed as of late, are done so to reduce the unnecessary amount of arguing that could become detrimental to the health of the community.  I would not close a thread due to any personal problems (I would never have a personal problem with any thread posted unless it was someone that was personally bashing me). 

• Upvote 3

What gets me is that they claim to message the original poster asking if it's okay to close it, but I know a few people who never received said message.

I am one of those people. I never received a message and all I saw was a post in my thread which had no reasoning really. No drama or ridiculousness was happening but in that persons opinion it should have been closed. It's scary that this is a "community server" but we deal with people that don't want the community to speak it's mind.

In the situations where we close a post that is unproductive and disheartens the spirit of the community, we are never going to message the user asking permission to close their post.  I will (at least normally) message the person that started the thread and apologize for having to close their thread and will take the time to tell them the reasoning behind the closing.

I apologize for not having had the time to message you yet Bmx.  I have had a couple of hectic days and that particular task slipped through my fingers.

I also want to make everyone aware that my door is always open to discuss any matter that you might have an issue with, however, issues that have already been decided upon and the decision wasn't one that someone agreed with, doesn't need a thread created to argue about the decision.  These threads never have anything productive come from them and normally will split a community.  Ultimately, these threads just become big arguments over things that won't be changed anyways, and due to this fact, will be closed by a head admin to preserve the integrity of the community.

• Upvote 5

I've seen people warned for things that if you were on other servers you would not be warned for doing it.

We are not other servers.  The things people get warned about on our server are things that go against the rules of our servers.  Other servers allow the use of an xray pack, or allow racial or homophobic chat.  We don't.  Just because another server allows it doesn't mean we have to.

• Upvote 5

I feel like the locking of threads "policy" needs to be gotten rid of. It's completely pointless. All you would have to do is message a person that is getting out of control and if they continue to act that way just delete the posts or ban from the forums for 24 hours.

And then there would be threads like this titled "Why are posts being deleted"

• Upvote 5

I don't feel it would be nearly as bad if staff messaged people before hand. This stuff is getting ridiculous.

I assume this thread is because your last one was closed. Cyotie gave a reason that the thread was being closed. There had been multiple threads like it, and unless the Heads put a stop to it, it would never end. No matter which way it went, people from the losing side would complain about the outcome. The Heads did not want the discussion to continue there, because while it continues, players will complain that nothing is coming of it, and that they are being ignored. A decision was made, and people need to live with it for some time before bringing it up again. As much as these are community based servers, they are not community ran servers. The staff works to do what is best for the servers as a whole, using the thoughts of the community as a source of information. The community very rarely comes to a unanimous decision on anything, so staff has to pick a side and stick with it. Also, you say Heads can even go as far as removing someone's comment if they notify them why, I don't see how them closing the thread is any different (assuming they give the reasons, as Cyotie did). I think closing threads of topics that have run their course is much better than removing anything someone says (assuming it is within the rules).

• Upvote 5

We are not other servers.  The things people get warned about on our server are things that go against the rules of our servers.  Other servers allow the use of an xray pack, or allow racial or homophobic chat.  We don't.  Just because another server allows it doesn't mean we have to.

I'm referring to servers who have VERY similar rules to ours. We have no lenience on this server in regards to rules, you can let something slip for a minute and your instantly warned, threatened to be banned and there goes your opportunity of ever wanting to work your way up here. 

I'm referring to servers who have VERY similar rules to ours. We have no lenience on this server in regards to rules, you can let something slip for a minute and your instantly warned, threatened to be banned and there goes your opportunity of ever wanting to work your way up here.

Define working your way up? Are you talking about being staff? There are several staff members that have been banned in the past and even a few that have been banned more than once. Hell, I was even banned once a long time ago.

That being said, if you were banned in the past, that doesn't mean you will never be staff.

• Upvote 3

Define working your way up? Are you talking about being staff? There are several staff members that have been banned in the past and even a few that have been banned more than once. Hell, I was even banned once a long time ago.

That being said, if you were banned in the past, that doesn't mean you will never be staff.

This just in: Head admin banned in the past. Are these the people we want running the servers? More at 11.

• Upvote 5