Is the community dying?

bmx20042004

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is the community dying?

• Yes
    • No

I think a lot of this stems from the unhappiness amongst veteran players who've been here for years seeing their server/s stagnate. Survival has stagnated over time, there's no denying that - that's plenty of reason to be unhappy, but it doesn't mean that the community is dying. 
Take Creative as an example. 
A couple of revisions ago, Creative had a massive stale period where there were about 8 active players that popped on at various times through the day. 
The place was pretty dead, so a bunch of us got together and tried to do something about it. Thankfully, it worked, but I do recall myself believing that the community was dead during that stale period - once I branched out into Survival, I realized that I was very much incorrect. The same thing is happening to Survival players at the moment and it's not really something they can be blamed for, but I've learnt that if we branch out how we play on these servers we see a much clearer picture of the whole scene. If we're attached to one server, that's the community we've come to know - once that begins to die out we fear for the entire community, when in fact there is only a stagnation in a section of the community that can still be repaired - I'll refer to Creative yet again to prove my point with that. 
I can't stress it enough that the more we see of the big picture, the smarter we are in the way we attempt to improve these servers as we are then able to take more people into consideration. 

Everyone is focusing too much on the question itself. There's a greater issue going on here. If someone feels the community is dying, and that feeling is strong enough for them to say something about it, something is definitely wrong. In a way, I feel the community has died. Everyone is separated into their own cliques and friends groups and refuse to take a look into other cliques to get a sense of how they(the other groups) feel about nerd. If I say something that I feel needs to be addressed, and everyone blows it off and tells me I'm wrong, then I'm going to feel that the place isn't really a community. 

The amount of players does not matter. Whether we have 300 people or 30 people, if everyone is segregated into groups like we are right now, there's not going to be much of a sense of a community. You don't need a bunch of people to be a community, but you do need to LISTEN to each other, and think about the issues being brought up. You are looking at the numbers wrong, and that concerns me.

On top of all this, some of you are crying about people "stirring the pot" and causing drama, but if you really think that then you'd also know that replying to them would just make it worse. If they are the dramallama that you claim them to be, then ignore their posts. It's your conscious decision to reply, and I understand that sometimes you do need to get the point across, but I've seen conversations taken way too far to the point where it's become a pissing match, even with staff member I've seen it. Shit, I've done it before, I'm not claiming to be innocent on this. But lately it's gotten to the point where people refuse to acknowledge any issues a player they disagree with brings up because of a personal grudge. Do understand, it's also your conscious decision to focus on the unimportant things while there's greater things at hand going on here that's being ignored. I can see why BMX feels this way, but his and my reasons may be different. I want to hear from BMX himself,why he feels this way, and what he thinks we should do to fix it.  

We need to truly see past grudges and work together to make this place a family.

• Upvote 1

Bmx20042004, I'm interested to know if the voting and people's opinions have helped for you to reconsider your theory?

I still stand by my opinion, however I do see how you're saying that the community is still alive. But I feel that pve is the only server still alive, S is dead and C is close to dying.

You're entitled to your opinion bmx. However, from what I've seen, we have a much more lively and intimate community than any server I've been on, which is what I think counts. I've only seen this kind of community on a TF2 server I'm a moderator on, and not in these kind of numbers. 

Still, there are things to improve. Better rule literacy, experimenting with S to make it challenging yet popular, allowing moderators and admins to gather public opinion while giving them space to make their own decisions. There's plenty to mull over and optimize. Pointing at the problems and getting disheartened instead of proposing solutions doesn't seem like the best course of action.

I hope that in the future you feel more included in the community's activities and decision-making. 

• Upvote 1

I guess inadvertently proving a point was the humorous part.  Nothing more or less. 

I didn't inadvertently prove a point. I made it very clear in my post that the community is not dying. The community is very much alive, it is our servers that we need to improve to expand our community in-game.

• Upvote 4

I felt four was implying most of our community is in the forums or IRC or something.

I don't think he said that, but the community in IRC contains many people that no longer play in-game.  Right now, this is the population of IRC:

Amaranth

ammar2

AvengerOfThings

Bayaz

bdavenport

Bruiser_

buttscicles

buzzie71

c45y

CheeseGamer

dan1son

Dav|d

Deaygo

Delusion

Denevien

DoctorManta

draykhar

DSJK3

Dumbo52

edk

esperi

forty_two

Four_Down

gdavison

gsand

HansiHE

hintss

jchance

jgeboski

Joe

josephrooks

JudgeDread

KindOne

kitcatbar

knapptime18

LadyCailin

LadyRavenOwl

LordLunchington

luke_gardner

Magiobiwan

Monoman

monty

Mrloud15

muldoonaz

Natdog

nsh22

redwall_hp

roastnewt

Sebastian

spidu_

stealthii

tebok

TheAcademician

thelethalkind

thelifelessone

TheOlive

thrawn|class

tobylane

tompreuss

TornadoHorse

trevor

UNC_Samurai

unce

wickedcoolsteve

williammck

WyndySascha

Yetanotherx

zifnab

zZzaru

Half these people haven't been seen in-game in months.

• Upvote 3

The community is fine, just different. After all this time, I've simply just realized I don't enjoy minecraft anymore. I'm sure that the reason for a number of our vets leaving (among other reasons, certainly). This just seems like a post created solely for the purpose of stirring shit. 

• Upvote 7

I don't see the community as dying, just maybe burned out as revs get older and older. Eventually there's strip mines everywhere, you have more supplies you'd ever need, you've enchanted the perfect set of armor, tools, etc over and over again, your city/base/fortress has everything it needs and you're just running circles trying to find something to do. This may not be the case for EVERYONE, but it's what I've noticed happens to me late into every rev. The beginning of rev rush dies down and it slowly dwindles until a new rev for one of the 3 servers, or an event, comes around. I think at the time this was posted all 3 servers just happened to be really late into their revs and people had burnt themselves on in minecraft or just mcpublic. But as this latest P rev has shown us, the community is thriving and I'm actually seeing a lot of regulars coming back once again.

• Upvote 3

I don't think he said that, but the community in IRC contains many people that no longer play in-game.  Right now, this is the population of IRC:

Half these people haven't been seen in-game in months.

IRC is basically something different From In-Game/Mumble. I have never seen anyone in IRC talking about minecraft related stuff honestly. I'm being dead serious here