[PMC] A New Warning Method

dizney07

I personally don't think mail warnings always work as players can easily miss them if they're not paying attention or just don't know how to use the mail commands (it took me some time to figure out when I first started out). I was thinking of a plug in that could be used to warn a player in a different color (such as red) through chat, and refreshes every 15 minutes or so until the player clears it. This would mean no excuses for the player as it would continue to pop up in chat until cleared. 

The idea would be the staff member would use /warn, while the players would have to use /warnings to see the warnings and their number (like a modreq) to do /warnings clear #. 

Just a thought :-)

-dizney07

• Upvote 7

Using /mail is the only way to contact a player when they're not online. Adding a way to diferentiate receiving mail from a moderator would mean rewritting a large amount of our mail system. If a player is online, normally it's best to use /msg at first, but using /cmsg will send the message to them in a different color (red, I think).

Using /mail is the only way to contact a player when they're not online. Adding a way to diferentiate receiving mail from a moderator would mean rewritting a large amount of our mail system. If a player is online, normally it's best to use /msg at first, but using /cmsg will send the message to them in a different color (red, I think).

A CH script to announce to a player that they have been warned would take less coding than /wondrland.  As far as implementing it I think it would be nothing of an issue since its just a better and honestly long overdue change for moderators/admins. 

• Upvote 1

I know it may be a bit off topic, but could we also change the text associated with /warngrief back to something less snide? "only staff can remove old builds" rarely applies to the type of grief we get... 

Using the /warn commands is like using a cookie cutter, you'll get the same thing every time. For better results, you may want to manually mail or msg and addnotes with a proper description respectively.

I know it may be a bit off topic, but could we also change the text associated with /warngrief back to something less snide? "only staff can remove old builds" rarely applies to the type of grief we get... 

I agree. While I tend to avoid the /warn commands since I can get pretty specific with my notes/mails, if we have the commands we should use a message that covers the majority of grief situations. Right now the following two mails are sent with that command:

"You must not edit other players' builds without permission. -- Moderator"

"Only staff members are allowed to clear old builds. -- Moderator"

Perhaps instead we could go with this:

"Continuing to do so will result in a ban. -- Moderator"

The first message seems to cover what the player isn't allowed to do well enough on it's own, and we can replace the overly specific second mail with what the consequence of continuing their action could be.

• Upvote 3

Whats the next step to getting these changes closer to being implemented? Maybe a tech could comment on how plausible dizney07's idea is? Should we get a poll going? I just dont want to see these suggestions get buried.

It's worth noting that the /warn* commands are still not functioning properly since the last update of the /mail system. It's still sending repeats of the last message, and discarding the others. It logs the correct messages in the server logs, but the display shows multiples of one message, and the user receives the multiples as well. I was reminded of this when I warned somebody on S recently and they were confused by the partial message.

• Upvote 1

I agree. While I tend to avoid the /warn commands since I can get pretty specific with my notes/mails, if we have the commands we should use a message that covers the majority of grief situations. Right now the following two mails are sent with that command:

"Only staff members are allowed to clear old builds. -- Moderator"

Perhaps instead we could go with this:

"Continuing to do so will result in a ban. -- Moderator"

On C it just sends the last part of that; "only staff members are allowed to clear old builds." before we got the serverwide mail system, it used to send the last part as a msg and as a mail. but now it sends just that twice as a mail. I'd like that to be fixed honestly, with a much more broad note of simply "Please do not grief, this is your final warning, continuing will result in a ban".

I've written this and it will be running on all 3 servers after they restart.

Usage is basically exactly as dizney described:

/warn <player> <message>: Warn a player.
/warnings: View your warnings.
/warnings clear <#>: Clear a warning; only players who have been warned can run this.

Every 30 seconds, if you've been warned, you get a rather obtrusive warning in chat, so it can't be missed. I've also hooked up /warncrops etc to it, but I haven't changed the messages (although I do agree some of them are a bit snide).

• Upvote 4

I've written this and it will be running on all 3 servers after they restart.

Usage is basically exactly as dizney described:

/warn <player> <message>: Warn a player.
/warnings: View your warnings.
/warnings clear <#>: Clear a warning; only players who have been warned can run this.
Every 30 seconds, if you've been warned, you get a rather obtrusive warning in chat, so it can't be missed. I've also hooked up /warncrops etc to it, but I haven't changed the messages (although I do agree some of them are a bit snide).

Smiler100 is best smiler. All of this looks perfect, save for the fact that the messages haven't changed. Do we need headadmin okay for those to change or something along those lines?

• 3 weeks later...