[PMC] Let's bury S rev 26 and move on

elbeau

At this point it's pretty common to log on during peak hours and find yourself alone on the server.  Even the zombies are bored.

Although they may play during other hours, I haven't seen an admin on for a week or so now so I don't know if they know just how lifeless the server is at this point.  I'll be happy to help prepare a new map or do whatever else I can to help us move on.

• Upvote 4

I'd be interested to see the results of a double launch, but I kinda doubt you guys can get a map up and running by the end of the week. Especially since many S players have submitted ideas, and whether or not any of them will be implemented has not been discussed.

• Upvote 2

I'd be interested to see the results of a double launch, but I kinda doubt you guys can get a map up and running by the end of the week. Especially since many S players have submitted ideas, and whether or not any of them will be implemented has not been discussed.

I wish we knew what was discussed and not discussed already. Would make it easier to not repeat the same things that have already been talked about, or maybe knew if we were going with big changes again or just small changes from rev 26, etc. 

Hey guys, I've returned from an unfortunately sudden and long stint without internet, but I'm here to try and do what I can. I've got to catch up on the goings on for the past three months or so, and once I've got a pretty good feel for things again I'll post here with as much information as I can.

Here's what I know currently:

• S is averaging 0-5 players, and a number of people have private messaged me asking me to fix it.
  • Some people are feeling like the admins are not being responsive to questions and suggestions.
  • S rev 26 started off with a lot of activity, lots of people trying the new changes, lots of people from other server(s) visiting, then the people from the other server(s) left and activity dropped pretty quickly. Currently the rev has been going for about a month and half?
  • Lots of people feel that some of the changes were not good ones, and a handful of the changes were nice.
  • Redwall and Beastbruiser have a tentative plan already laid out for the next revision, with Mrloud offering input, and it needs to be fleshed out a bit.

Tomorrow is the weekend, so hopefully I can be in contact with redwall and beastbruiser and catch up on what's been going on.

• Upvote 2

Ok. Beastbruiser, Redwall, Mrloud, and I have talked a fair bit. We need to get a revision launched asap, so it will go like this:

Mrloud is generating us a map using terrain control which should be pretty normalish, will have lightly plumped ores (except redstone, because who needs more of that?), plus glowstone and quartz in overworld. Redwall tells me that LadyRavenOwl has previously mentioned volunteering to produce us a spawn and roads, so if she's still willing to do that then that's fantastic. Mrgauthier has submitted a koth punt/koth/kotv-mix and a kotv build. We need to find an arena build - maybe one submitted in the past. Mrgauthier has also brought to me the idea of doing a team-based arena tournament, which reminded me of an arena Unce built on C a while back. If unce is willing to let us use that still, I'd like to find it and get a schematic so we can paste it in.

Once the map is generated, we can have it up on a dev server, admins can paste in the builds as soon as we have them. Roads will be pasted, portals set up, protections configured.

From what I understand, Mrloud would like to begin the Survival Arena League again, though intends for it to run independently from revision cycles - so if the league lasts 3 months, then if the revision resets in the middle of that the league is still going with the same data, for the same set of champions.

I'd like to have several events happen during this revision, but I don't know that we have any that can be brought together and prepared quickly. I love the idea of having the ender dragon respawn periodically, dropping rare loot - will need to see what we can do about this.

We'll be reverting to the old set of rules, e.g. no griefing others' builds, no citadel, no prison pearl. We'll be removing most PvP armor and sword enchants, some bow enchants. enchantism will be in, xp plump at 3x. hopefully will be removing the ability for potions to affect other players, removing strength and regen pots, nerfing healing pots to tier 1.

A lot of these things may sound like a reversion to what S was before, and they are. Except nerfing enchants and potions. This is a "throwback" revision of sorts. This is not going to be a magnum opus, from my perspective. It is an attempt to get something better than what we've got currently. I hope very much to set and announce a public tentative end date for rev 27 barring overwhelming support for extending the rev life when the time comes, and to prepare some more adventurous changes in rev 28.

Several non-staff have asked if they can be involved in the planning process. We'd like that to be for rev 28 so we can get 27 up and going as soon as possible.

None of this information is confidential per se. There's no need to hide the fact that a new rev is pending for fear of player count dropping since it is already so low. So I'll be sharing most of this in the public threads about the revision. If it seems like it's mostly me doing the talking, that's because redwall, beastbruiser, and mrloud are doing the heavy lifting while I'm handling PR at the moment. :P

edit: Depending on how long it takes to acquire spawn, arena, and road schematics, and to make sure we have our plugins set up properly, it may take a little bit longer than we'd prefer to have a new rev ready, but it will be soon. An announcement post will be made before to generate some attention. It won't be a groundshaking event, but it will be better than not announcing it until the last minute.

edit2: mrg has corrected me on his arena submissions. One is technically a punt/koth/kotv mix, and the other is kotv.

From what I understand, Mrloud would like to begin the Survival Arena League again, though intends for it to run independently from revision cycles - so if the league lasts 3 months, then if the revision resets in the middle of that the league is still going with the same data, for the same set of champions.

Sounds like a neat idea. Before you go ahead with it, have a serious think that you're willing to be committed to it and actually host the arenas. For the last 2 times that we've had the SAL it's been very disappointing with only about 3 arenas hosted over the 2 revisions with the turnouts each time being very low. Please don't promise us something that you can't provide again. If you need help then ask, I'm sure there are plenty of players who could lend a hand.

Going off of Jkayani's post in Server Discussion.  Maybe throw up a past revision of Survival for chaos?  There already is hardly anyone playing and I'm sure more players than there are now will come back to play some chaos before rev 27 is launched.  Suggested revision to use for chaos, that I also would like to see, is revision 21 :D

not sure how i missed that post. I've commented there, but I'll mention here as well: we're looking at getting that taken care of asap. Not to get anyone's hopes up, so don't go spilling this all over publicly, but we'd like to see about having a brief 1.8 chaos rev if it's doable. will be working with techs to determine feasibility of that later today. If it won't work. we'll toss up an old map on 1.7.

The map itself is very close to being ready. We still need to paste in the "ring" roads, set aside a place and a road to LRO's trampoline arena, doublecheck all WG regions. There are also things sadmins need to handle that don't relate to the map, but rather plugins and configs. Here's a rough todo list I've been trying to update, there's an easysign at spawn that gives you a link to it, but it might be easy to overlook. https://gist.github.com/Mumberthrax/4d703d677578b722dfa4

when that todo list is empty, and I know there are a few things not included on it that sadmins alone are working on, then we ought to be ready for launch.

We don't want to just toss this out without any notice of at least a couple of days, and we don't want to announce a launch date unless we're really ready. tossing up a chaos rev for a few days seems the most sensible option to us. making 1.8 work may not be as easy as we thought, so we may well have to use a 1.7 spigot server running an old map.

• Upvote 1