Unofficial survival throwback server?

barneygale

This might be quite niche, but is anyone interested in creating and playing an unofficial "old school" survival rev? I was thinking Beta 1.7 might be a sweet spot. It's as bug-free as the game got before major modern minecraft features got added, like sprinting, hunger and enchanting.

I can try and find old craftbukkit and plugin versions, and it shouldn't take long to do the map (flat cardinal roads take <5minutes).

The game was a lot derpier but it might be fun anyway.

We could even (if people like this idea) run it as an official interim rev before the next one is properly ready with suitable marketing arranged. Current revs player numbers are pretty horrible, even when factoring in the DDoS.

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 1

Sweet, sounds like we're good to go then!!

I'll be on mumble on Sunday at 7pm BST (GMT+1) to discuss my plan as it stands. Please come along if you're interested and want to contribute.

Then I think a few people could build the map (generate roads, build spawn and arena). We'll have worldedit available, but for authenticity sake please don't pre-build anything for pasting.

If you have hosting spare, let me know. If no one comes forward I'll buy a ramnode VPS.

We'll also need a small mod team I suppose. Any suggestions on how to choose them?

• 5 months later...

I've been busy with other stuff. Should have some some time in a week or two; if someone wants to take over feel free.

I have actually started a beta 1.7.3 server. I will give out the IP as soon as I can get confirmation from nerd.nu staff that it is ok to post here!

Thanks,

-Bayside308