[PMC] Approved Client Mods on PvE

TheRandomnatrix

Please note this is only a draft and does not represent an official release

I figure if I don’t do it it’s just going to sit around, since that already happened once. I also see little reason to keep this discussion private to the Admins. I’ll link to the mods that aren’t incredibly popular/well known as well as adding a description for each. I tried to make this list as comprehensible as possible, but if something isn’t on there then please list it along with a description and a link to the webpage. If you feel a mod should not be allowed, please state your reasoning. The ultimate decision to remove/keep mods is left up to the PAdmins.

List of Approved Mods:

• Rei’s Minimap: Provides a minimap function in the corner of your screen along with coordinates. Allows for setting waypoints and an automated death point system. Player Radar is enabled for it, but mob radar is not.

• Journeymap: Acts like Rei’s I believe but allows for map stitching to record information on where you’ve been before. [LINK]

• Zan’s Minimap: Same as Rei’s except it includes cave mapping and mob radar which players have confirmed works currently. We should find a way to disable that feature if possible server-side, as I feel it is cheaty and we have few ways of tracking it. Cave mapping falls under the no xray rule. [LINK]

• Optifine: Allows players to fine tweak game settings to improve performance. Nothing game breaking, however there was once a feature that allowed players to see through lava, which I believe has been removed. That was treated as xray. Most of the additional features(such as zooming in) are graphical only.

• Schematica: Displays holograms of .schematic files to aid in building. Includes function to download sections of the map. This seems to be fine so long as it is not used for xray. Print function feature has been disabled via server configs. [LINK]

• WE CUI: Displays WorldEdit selections. Is only useful to staff anyways as players can’t make selections.

• Watson: Shows LogBlock history in a graphical format. Useful for grief and xray detection. Only useful for staff as players have little use for it, though I have noted several players installing it. EDIT. As others have pointed out, it also has a built in chat highlighting feature which players use it for. Either way, it should be harmless.

• Shaders of any kind are approved as they are only graphical.

• Cape mods of any kind are approved as they are only graphical.

• GammaBright: Shows the game as if everything was lit up perfectly(eg night vision). Has no impact on gameplay and is only graphical.[LINK]

• InventoryTweaks: Allows players to quickly organize inventories and chests. This is allowed on PvE but not Survival. [LINK]

• ArmorStatusHUD: Shows information about tools and armor durability. Nothing that can’t be found using minecraft’s f3+h debug feature. If that is ever disabled in the future, this mod should maybe be readdressed.

• StatusEffectHUD: Shows status effects in the HUD. Same information is displayed in player’s inventory screen, so it’s fine.

• MonsterSpawnHighlighter: This mod shows if a block is capable of spawning certain mobs, and indicates it graphically around a player. It isn’t game breaking as it only allows players to place torches/lighting in an optimal way to prevent spawning. I’d consider leaving it in, though that is of course up for debate. [LINK]

• Zyin’s HUD: This one I’m unfamiliar with, but it seems to allow for a lot of information. Players primarily use it for checking horse stats. There’s some other stuff in there too that seems a bit sketchy, like eating instantly/throwing enderpearls using a keybind, but I think that NoCheat would take notice of that. It also has a player located+health indicator, which is also not something I like, but shouldn’t be an issue on P. I think this one may ultimately fall under the “too popular to remove” thing that Rei’s falls under. [LINK]

• bUpload: Automatically uploads screenshots to imgur. [LINK]

• TabbyChat: Divides chat received by the player up into various tabs which can be sorted. Has no effect on gameplay. [LINK]

• Macro/Keybind Mod: This one I intentionally left at the bottom as macros, autoclickers, and botting are currently under review discussion. However as it stands it is currently allowed on PvE. Autoclicking function of mod is not allowed.

• Upvote 4

Journeymap - Lots of people are using it currently (part of the modpack Pez252 made for Rose and many people from the server seemed to pick it up also partly thanks to H4rpur's map project). It does have cavemapping and mob radar (everyone I know have them turned off EDIT. just checked and they're all greyed out. You can't even turn them on). It has minimap, webmap (you can view on your second screen at localhost instead of having the minimap) and waypoints. [LINK]

• Macro/Keybind Mod: This one I intentionally left at the bottom as macros, autoclickers, and botting are currently under review discussion. However as it stands it is currently allowed on PvE. Autoclicking function of mod is not allowed.[/background]

Question regarding this as I have seen a few players talking about this/things like this. I'm not sure if it's done with macros or scripts or something else, but would things like autocrafting be allowed? Such as your at a cane tower and get a inventory of cane then right click on a crafting table, you then use keybinds to automatically craft the cane into paper. (Thats one part) And then use another mod so you can easily shift click the paper into the villager instead of manually dragging the paper.

Just want to mention that the latest version of Rei's minimap (1.7.10 version not updated by original author) seems to have all radars available to the player, even the illegal ones.

The fact that, in previous versions, the server could selectively disable radars was why it was originally the only legal minimap (and the lack of a similar feature in Zan's minimap/VoxelMap being why it was considered illegal at the time). (Proof link) I don't know the inner workings of VoxelMap very well, but I'm not optimistic that radars there can be disabled without having to do surgery on the mod itself  :S.

EDIT: Also wanted to point out that Watson has a highlighting feature built into it, which is usable by everyone, not just staff.  

I think the Mine Little Pony mod should be added to the official list to avoid problems in the future as it only changes the graphics and has no affect on gameplay. 

ಠ_ಠ we cannot add EVERY single mod that should be allowed.  If it only changes graphics, whats the point in even adding it.  I think this list should be reserved for mods that alter gameplay slightly or drastically. 

• Watson: Shows LogBlock history in a graphical format. Useful for grief and xray detection. Only useful for staff as players have little use for it, though I have noted several players installing it. Should be harmless.

I think they're mostly using it for the chat highlighting features. Should indeed be harmless, though.

I would say just the more popular mods be listed, while mods that aren't on the list should be asked by the players if they can be used.

That's basically what the PAdmins intend to do. We'll ask players to bring forth mods that they're unsure of, then as a group evaluate them on a case-by-case basis before deciding whether to add it to the list.

ಠ_ಠ we cannot add EVERY single mod that should be allowed.  If it only changes graphics, whats the point in even adding it.  I think this list should be reserved for mods that alter gameplay slightly or drastically. 

It can't hurt to include things like this, though I agree there are many mods that change things graphically and I was trying to cover them with a blanket ruling. I can include them all under a subcategory listing of cosmetic-only mods to be more specific.

• Upvote 1

Wanted to point out that the player locator feature in Zyin's HUD will show player locations even when players are crouched behind an obstacle, and that I'm not too fond of it for that reason.

Does this provide any advantage though?  Personal feelings aside I do not see a problem with it.

Does this provide any advantage though?  Personal feelings aside I do not see a problem with it.

I mention it because in a non-modded client, a player's nameplate behind an obstruction will disappear when the player crouches - so this feature in Zyin's would provide more information than could otherwise be obtained by a vanilla client, as well as gives additional information about what a player's y-level approximately is (a little more than what player radar on minimaps itself offers).

On P, maybe this isn't that much of an advantage, but given that it gives more information than player radar, I'm feeling a bit iffy about it.  (I definitely don't expect something like this to fly on S)

I mention it because in a non-modded client, a player's nameplate behind an obstruction will disappear when the player crouches - so this feature in Zyin's would provide more information than could otherwise be obtained by a vanilla client, as well as gives additional information about what a player's y-level approximately is (a little more than what player radar on minimaps itself offers).

On P, maybe this isn't that much of an advantage, but given that it gives more information than player radar, I'm feeling a bit iffy about it.  (I definitely don't expect something like this to fly on S)

Yeah. That would be a "no" on S. Any sort of mod involving player positions is a no. (As are mods that sort inventories, such as Inv Tweaks, as having your potions or food or whatever snap down to your hotbar, or quickly auto-chest items, is a PvP advantage.) We've always had a stricter policy on client mods.

• Upvote 2

Was referring to P for the record

Still never got the answer to my question, not sure if you guys want to address that in the mods list.

Missed that one. Discussing automation further is on our agenda for the continuation of the padmin meeting (on Thursday), but one key thing that we've agreed on is that any automation should not reach superhuman levels relative to a vanilla client (a sometimes subjective evaluation). Personally, I think using a keybind to craft an entire inventory of paper at once would exceed this threshold, while shift-clicking would be acceptable - however, take this only as my opinion for now. We will be able to add this clarification shortly to the approved client mods list.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the list has been posted publicly, but in researching mods this evening to add to the survival approved mods list i checked out zyins HUD and it seems to have a mild cave-location feature. when you activate the "safe" option and the "xray" sub-option, you can see blocks that monsters can spawn on, even if those blocks are underground or behind walls. I know that this isn't what players are using it for primarily, more the horse stat stuff, but it's something to be aware of. If it did not have the player locator or this xray-like feature, I'd be fine with it being on S, but for now it will be in our not-approved list. I hope it won't be a deal-breaker on P because of how useful it is to some.