I am Mumberthrax. Feel free to Ask Me Anything.

Mumberthrax

How much thrax could a Mumber thrax if a Mumber could mumber thrax?

I am not certain, but it seems like a Mumber could thrax as much as a Mumber could if said Mumber could indeed mumber thrax.

So maybe about 3 or 4.

• Upvote 1

what is a mumberthrax? Some new form of anthrax?

Not as far as I am aware. Mumberthrax is the name of a character from the lore of a computer game series called Zork.

here's probably the most that's ever been written about him in one spot: http://www.thezorklibrary.com/history/flathead_mumberthrax.html

the tl;dr of it is that generally known as Mumberthrax The Insignificant, he is really notable only for the fact that he sired a ton of kids who were quite accomplished in the kingdom/empire, one of whom was basically responsible for pissing off a wizard who cursed the entire family and the kingdom to destruction.

Zork was a series of interactive fiction games (also called text adventures sometimes), that is, zero or minimal graphics, primarily a text prompt interface with commands like "go north" or "take the white rabbit" or "steal the jester's nose". It's a woefully undervalued genre in my opinion, and some modern interactive fiction is really quite nice, and writing it is pretty easy with one of the compilers called Inform7 whose code reads like a modified form of english statements. Of the zork series of games, I really only liked Zork Zero and Beyond Zork; zork 1,2 and 3 were not that attention-holding for me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Were there any additions to S you always wanted but were never feasible/never had enough time for?

Well there have been a lot of additions I wanted for S that haven't been implemented for one reason or another - though I don't know that it was feasibility that prevented them, nor a lack of time. Back when I was first made sadmin I wanted to add in some pre-generated dungeons using the Roguelike dungeons mod to generate them. The other sadmins were unconvinced, and we never did it. When i returned from my hiatus and talked with the sadmins at the time, we agreed then that adding custom dungeons would be desirable, and had planned to add them in rev 28 but with redwall moving to tech and TheAcademician and I being removed as Sadmins, that sadly did not happen. There were many other really fun changes that we had in store for rev 28 that I would have loved to have seen happen on S, but que sera sera.

what was your favorite project you've worked on on nerd?

Egreth, by far. It was a lot of fun showing people that a city could work on S. It didn't turn out as ideally as I had hoped, but it was really cool. Many people have begged me to work toward building it again but it isn't something that I really have had time for. My favorite aspect of that project was the sheer number of people who supported it, who helped out with building, supplies, constructing their own buildings in the city, and allying with us. We had a board where we added the names of as many people as we could who were friends of Egreth and its people, and when i load up the map and look at that board, it really makes me happy to remember the kindness and friendship that was present at that time.

You said you liked backpacking? What kind of places have you gone to?

Mostly places here in Texas. I think my favorite backpacking trip was at Lake Texoma. If I recall correctly we hiked about 9 miles. Camped out at someplace called dragon ridge or something like that. Another time I went backpacking at Dinosaur Valley state park, near Glen Rose, Tx. That one was less fun, but still pretty awesome. It's been a while since I actually went camping, much less backpacking, and that makes me a bit sad. But I do enjoy it a great deal. I used to go just about once each month with my boy scout troop to camp at various places, scout ranches, state parks, a few times at the national guard armory where we'd do our flour war. Nowadays I don't have those connections, so it's not as easy to find places to go.

If you could ban one PAdmin which one would it be? :P

All of them! For not responding to Aca's post in the admin forums about land claim issues on P! For not making the super simple changes to the rule about pvp areas that I suggested in the uservoice thing yet (stemmed from denial of my lei tai platform arena last P rev :( )! For being better organized than I ever was as an admin! For not having normal speed hoppers when i made a sorting machine two revs ago only to have to demolish it since the timing was fucky! For being handsome devils! I could go on, but i will stop myself here! :O

In seriousness though, I don't have a desire to ban any padmins. All of you guys are cool.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would you consider the name "mumberthrax" to sound like a poison gas given through the application of mumbling?

and if not, what would you consider the best name?

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 1

Would you consider the name "mumberthrax" to sound like a poison gas given through the application of mumbling?

and if not, what would you consider the best name?

Let me see if I understand what you are asking...  If there were a poison gas applied by mumbling, would "mumberthrax" sound like it?

Or are you asking if "mumberthrax" sounds like a word that might be used to refer to such a gas?

Well I don't know what this hypothetical gas would sound like, as I've never heard the sounds that gases like that make. I have heard sounds that other gases make under certain circumstances, not neccesarily poisonous ones (and definitely none that are applied through the process of mumbling), so if I assume that this poison gas sounds much like other gases, then i guess I have something to work from. Knowing this, I decided to review some sounds gases made on various youtube videos, just to have a sort of baseline for comparison. Here's what I found:

Hearing all of these, I feel i have at least some basis on which I can imagine what a poison gas like what you describe would sound like under various circumstances. Since you ask about the gas itself, and not the process through which it is delivered/applied (namely, mumbling), I imagine that I don't have to take into account the sound of that delivery process in my assessment, so I haven't looked up the sounds of mumbling on youtube or elsewhere, nor overlaid them using that youtubedoubler site like i did with the first two videos.

So now back to the question, would such a poison gas sound like "mumberthrax"? Well, when I say aloud the word "mumberthrax", it is something quite unlike most of the gas sounds in any of the videos I found. The closest would probably be the morgan freeman helium gas video, where morgan expelled the gas through his mouth, speaking as he did so. Helium on its own, like many gases, is toxic in sufficient quantities (run everyone, he said the T word!), so I suppose that video is a pretty good one to focus on. Not once did morgan say the word "mumberthrax" or anything quite similar to it.

So based on all of this research and sophisticated logic, by my first interpretation of your question I would have to say in response: generally no.

By my second interpretation of your question, I could see someone using such a word to describe a gas and delivery method you describe in fiction, like comic books or some other slightly silly literature. I wouldn't consider a particularly good word for the gas, nor particularly funny. But it would be a better term than, for example, "Susan" or "otorhinolaryngology" in my opinion.

As for your second question, well, I guess you mean the best name for a poison gas delivered by mumbling?

I would think "mumblethrax" would be superior, or babblegas or something. Mumber isn't mumble, the "-er-" part sticks out badly in that context.