Steam Group

d3north

The steam group is bad. There needs to be a complete airing out, a cycling of staff in it, and a rework of its use. Right now the comments on it are terrible spam, and have been for a long time. No events are being made and posted, there have to be outside groups made by the players in order for there to be any games organized. There should be an admin position in place for the Non MC side of nerd, but currently complaints of how we need to branch out are met with replies of "we are" but how? Only looking for new players is not truly branching out. There is proof of old players returning to MC because they game with us and then play MC with us too. Outside people too, people that are friends of people that game then come and join nerdMC. 

But currently there isnt a single mote of recognition from anyone in positions of power that the group is bad.

I bring this up often, that the group is bad and stale, but rebuked with claims of how new people join all the time. Player numbers is not freshness. There are deceased persons in positions of power. I said this once to a moderator on mumble and was kicked for disrespect. I want to keep saying this but as long as there is not an official response then Im done with nerd. I dont want to be part of a group that claims activity and isnt.

I request an official Admin response on this topic.

• Upvote 2

Alright, the group permissions have changed a little bit to allow moderators to create announcements. As right now group officers will be admins and moderators will be moderators of the servers. I'm not against the idea of adding non-staff as moderators for the group, but that's something we need to discuss first. Group moderators can create announcements, so the idea is that whenever you have a game starting just ping an online mod asking them to make an announcements.  

• Upvote 1

Alright, the group permissions have changed a little bit to allow moderators to create announcements. As right now group officers will be admins and moderators will be moderators of the servers. I'm not against the idea of adding non-staff as moderators for the group, but that's something we need to discuss first. Group moderators can create announcements, so the idea is that whenever you have a game starting just ping an online mod asking them to make an announcements.  

So that was a bad reply, sorry about that.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm interested in the idea of having a non-mc admin to take care of stuff like the steam group, but I feel that a proper discussion is needed before we go down that road which could take a little bit. As a first step to fixing up the group and making it more active we have changed the group perms a little bit so group mods have the ability to create announcement and moderate the comments. As of right now group moderators will be server moderators, and I made a post here asking mods to let me know if they would like to be added as a group moderator. I plan to clean up the list of group moderators and officers, but that's something I can't do and will have to poke other people about. 

I will talk to the other admins and see what everyone thinks about adding a non-mc admin and if we were to add one how we would go about choosing one. I'm also looking into dizney's "other games" thread idea.

Once again, thanks for bringing this topic up and sorry for the bad reply. 

• Upvote 5

I strongly urge against making events in steam, because it makes a window pop up on everyone in the group's screen. If I'm busy and working on something, I don't want a notification that I have to stop and click ok to clear away. If you do it as announcements, a notification appears at the bottom and goes away.

Edited by Denevien

I strongly urge against making events in steam, because it makes a window pop up on everyone in the group's screen. If I'm busy and working on something, I don't want a notification that I have to stop and click ok to clear away. If you do it as announcements, a notification appears at the bottom and goes away.

The problem with this is most people won't notice the notification in the bottom left. I know I miss lots of things all the time simply because it's not that big of a  notice. Sure a pop up can be annoying occasionally but it really doesn't take that much to simply click ok.

But, if this becomes as popular as people hope, it will be notifications all the time. We have people around the world playing games, and many different games at that. So you'll be getting notifications for TF2, garry's mod, civ 5, borderlands, etc. I don't want to have to choose to either remove myself from the group, or live with a barrage of notifications for games I care nothing about.

Den, there is a small setting that is changeable to stop the popups. Popups are on by default, but most people I know have them off.

Just because you don't want them, doesnt mean that no one wants them. I would be very interested in seeing just what games were being played, or if I see a game being played, I would hop into mumble etc and see if I wanted to play, or if there was room.

Not everyone is like you, I understand that a large amount of thought needs to be put into this, but just step back and let the group prosper and naturally evolve, instead of presenting the carefully curated presentaion that is normally made by nerd.nu.

• Upvote 1

Den, there is a small setting that is changeable to stop the popups. Popups are on by default, but most people I know have them off.

Just because you don't want them, doesnt mean that no one wants them. I would be very interested in seeing just what games were being played, or if I see a game being played, I would hop into mumble etc and see if I wanted to play, or if there was room.

Not everyone is like you, I understand that a large amount of thought needs to be put into this, but just step back and let the group prosper and naturally evolve, instead of presenting the carefully curated presentaion that is normally made by nerd.nu.

No need to bash Den he was simply stating his opinion and viewpoint. Were all free to do that.

• Upvote 1

I pretty much ignore every single popup I get from steam because I get so many of them. The only way I'd notice them is if they stick around like chat messages.

That is my point, if you do it as an event, it does stick around until you hit ok. If you do it as an announcement, it comes and goes the same as it does when someone boots a game. That's all I'm trying to say, I'm ok with the one that flashes and is gone, but no need to have to click ok for every single one.

Edit: Guess I didn't read your statement right, I was at work on my phone when I posted this.

Edited by Denevien

Honestly thats all I want to see, something that isnt fussed over for weeks just to crash day one. Just go with the flow, see how it works. Too much discussion can ruin the whole idea.

I flipped through the options, but I didn't notice an option to disable event notifications. Where would this option be?

If you showed me where this^ was, then there would be no need for discussion.

According to this forum thread, disabling popups from groups is impossible. Thread was started in 2008, but if you go to the end the problem still exists in 2014.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760223

As for my opinion, steam pop-ups are extremely annoying and unless it's an officially sanctioned event that occurs once in a blue moon we shouldn't be using that way to promote events.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in the idea of having a non-mc admin to take care of stuff like the steam group, but I feel that a proper discussion is needed before we go down that road which could take a little bit. 

Is there any news about that happening, or would it be possible otherwise to squeeze a discussion of it into a General Meeting? 

I get about a billion popups when I have Steam open. I've had people ask me what those were and why they saw them every 5 seconds, I generally have to log out of Steam to get rid of those, since I don't have any time to go through the groups. The ones that open them in separate windows are really annoying, They stack up each other and blink in your taskbar until you click on them. 

If we did this I probably wouldn't even notice as I don't even look in that part of my screen anymore