[PMC] Preparing for revision 28 of survival - seeking volunteers, brainiacs, and/or creative types!

Mumberthrax

This post is not strictly for survival moderators. Anyone is welcome to help out.

We're looking at launching rev 28 at 6-8 weeks after launching rev 27, barring tragedy or overwhelming outcry to extend rev 27. There are a few projects sadmins want to present to mods and the other admins here to offer the opportunity to help out with.

6-8 weeks will put launch day near the end of November and beginning of December. Everybody in the northern hemisphere will be quite chilly (I suspect the majority of our players are from up topside, sorry equatorial and southern hemisphere friends :/  ) so I was thinking a wintery theme for spawn/arenas might be cool (no pun intended, but heh). Particularly the idea of a sort of "winter palace" for spawn. I'd like to see if we can put something together, maybe hold a contest on C for it, with winner being selected a few weeks before launch of rev 28 (to give us time to paste it in and make sure it's all configured properly). Would anyone be willing to help out with this? Still need to run the idea by Cadmins. Or if you think you can make a decent frigid-feeling spawn or arena yourself, that'd be awesome too!

We're going to continue trying new approaches to survival, whether that means new plugins, new events, different rules, novel map designs, etc. Sadmins may need help sifting through all of the ideas that have been submitted in the past, all of the seemingly endless discussion threads or reaction polls. xTheHundredsx gave me a list once of some of these, but I'm sure it's outdated now: http://paste.thezomg.com/15244/41210733/ If anyone would like to volunteer to help make sense of all of this, please let us know.

If you have an event you have been kicking around for a while that you'd be excited to see implemented on survival, please share it. With our combined effort we can do more than we might as individuals. The sooner we can get them planned out, the easier it will be to make them work together as an integrated experience for players. I have a mini-ctf arena that's been languishing for a while now that really just needs a few things tweaked and maybe given a mild makeover with 1.7 blocks, i just haven't had the time to work on it. We can put together a list and make it happen. And if it's an idea that may seem too big to work on S, it might work on the event server, or in a multiverse'd dimension on S. Nothing is really off the table currently from sadmin's standpoint.

Beastbruiser, redwall, and I will be trying our best to engage non-staff further in planning/preparing for rev 28 and beyond. If anyone has ideas on how this might best be achieved, please share.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and much gratitude to you for all you do here.

• Upvote 1

6-8 weeks will put launch day near the end of November and beginning of December. Everybody in the northern hemisphere will be quite chilly (I suspect the majority of our players are from up topside, sorry equatorial and southern hemisphere friends :/  ) so I was thinking a wintery theme for spawn/arenas might be cool (no pun intended, but heh). Particularly the idea of a sort of "winter palace" for spawn.

Are we definitely going to be having arenas and a spawn for revision 28 then? The reason I ask it because when we've been trying out new things like in revisions 25 & 26 we've had random spawns and not actually hosted any arenas. Players designed spawns and arenas only for them not to be used or seen very much at all.

@tornadohorse, that's disheartening to hear that players builds were not used. Do you mean they built them but did not submit them? or they submitted them but the sadmins just did not use them?

There will be arena matches (thus a need for an arena).

There will be a spawn build. It will not be random spawn, or at least if there is a random spawn element it will not be like it was in revision 26, and players will at the very very minimum spawn in the spawn build initially.

Can you let me know the names of the players who built things to submit which were not used? I'd like to get in contact with them to apologize, and see if they are still interested in sharing their creations.

• Upvote 2

I am definitely willing to help out in anyway I can. Might even try my hand at building something nice for a change :P

Fantastic. :D

After the launch of rev 27, preparations for 28 will kick into gear, so if there's not something that jumps out at you right now that you'd like to work on, stay tuned. And thank you.

• 4 weeks later...