djt832

Hello all,

I'd like to start a sort of newspaper for the nerd community. 

Basically, the motivation for this idea is to make sure we keep everyone updated on the stuff going on around here. Its hard for staff that are busy with other things, like setting up revs, to keep everyone informed. So this would hopefully fix that issue. 

What I would need from you (admins, techs, staff, community members even) is just a short update (screen shots too!) on what you're working on. It doesn't matter what server its from, as I'd like this to be for all of them, events included. Im willing to do all the work compiling and writing up the stories and posting it in a newspaper type format.

Any opinions on this idea?

• Upvote 5

I started what I called, The Taco Tribune on the subreddit a week ago.

It was a newsletter for the Creative server since I noticed many people come on clueless about events and things going on in C. Although I haven't really kept up too much due to real life personal issues, I hope to continue after things settle down a bit. 

In case you missed it, heres a link.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/2iqx8m/the_taco_tribune_1/

• Upvote 3

Nope, I didnt miss that! I really enjoyed reading that and thought it was a great idea. I don't mean to step on your toes here. I just thought it'd be nice to have one update for everything, but I definitely don't want to compete with the Taco Tribune.

• Upvote 1

I've actually been ruminating a bit on an idea like this myself, MCPublic could definitely benefit from a regular newsletter.

Running it would require a lot of effort and collaboration, so hopefully this is something people would be committed to long-term.  Articles, editorials, quotes-of-the-week or something, staff/admin public notices, even comics, etc. are all things the community could contribute, but there would have to be someone prodding everyone for this information and putting it all together.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to sound like a bother but perhaps make this thread public to allow for community input? As for myself, I'd be willing to assist you with printing if need be.

I think this would be a great way to mostly keep the folks who just play and don't bother with the forums and subreddit, in the loop.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to sound like a bother but perhaps make this thread public to allow for community input? As for myself, I'd be willing to assist you with printing if need be.

Is there a way to just move this whole thing over, or do I make a second post?

I've actually been ruminating a bit on an idea like this myself, MCPublic could definitely benefit from a regular newsletter.

Running it would require a lot of effort and collaboration, so hopefully this is something people would be committed to long-term.  Articles, editorials, quotes-of-the-week or something, staff/admin public notices, even comics, etc. are all things the community could contribute, but there would have to be someone prodding everyone for this information and putting it all together.

This is something I would gladly dedicate time to each week. I am working on a sort of layout, and was thinking it could be distributed through a pdf. These files are generally easy to read. If there are people willing to gather up stories and such, that would be really helpful. 

Edit: I will post a sample of what I was thinking when its complete

Nope, I didnt miss that! I really enjoyed reading that and thought it was a great idea. I don't mean to step on your toes here. I just thought it'd be nice to have one update for everything, but I definitely don't want to compete with the Taco Tribune.

Well obviously mine is geared towards the C side, it would be cool to have a bigger one for nerd as a whole like you're suggesting, so I wouldn't see any competition there and would be glad to help with that one too! ^_^

• Upvote 1

This is something I've been wanting to see for a while, but never took the initiative to start - it's a great bridge between the staff and community. I think it's awesome you're doing this, and I'd be happy to lend any support to the project that you need.

• Upvote 3

'Nerdpaper', oh man I love it already! 

That looks like a great start there as well, maybe you can just make a picture perfect layout first as the template and then save it as a pdf or powerpoint or whatevers easiest so if someone else needed to make edits, it's already set for them and when the new issue comes out, it's easier to make instead of having to redraw lines and stuff.

• Upvote 1

'Nerdpaper', oh man I love it already! 

That looks like a great start there as well, maybe you can just make a picture perfect layout first as the template and then save it as a pdf or powerpoint or whatevers easiest so if someone else needed to make edits, it's already set for them and when the new issue comes out, it's easier to make instead of having to redraw lines and stuff.

Yeah, I was going to work on figuring out some sort of template. Adjusting it really isnt hard or time consuming though. I'd still like to be flexible with it, depending on how much or little content is there. I was planning on working with pdf's, I think they are easier to read and people can just download it to read whenever.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I was going to work on figuring out some sort of template. Adjusting it really isnt hard or time consuming though. I'd still like to be flexible with it, depending on how much or little content is there. I was planning on working with pdf's, I think they are easier to read and people can just download it to read whenever.

Also perhaps, if you do the pdf approach, maybe theres a way to make a public dropbox and you can just upload to dropbox and post a link to the dropbox everytime theres a new issue out and they can download it or read it from dropbox.

• Upvote 1

Are you creating this with an image editing program? I can try to create another mockup with LaTeX; that might reduce the file size and standardize the format a little.

I just used photoshop to make it. Its something I'm really familiar with and I don't have anything like InDesign. 

Oh would you mind posting results of FISA games? And by the way FISA opens up today. 

Of course, if you or someone else could get me a list of the results, I will gladly post that. I'm looking to get the next edition out this Friday. Unfortunately I did not make it to the opening of FISA.

This is weird but could we make this an actual in game system as well. Either through the plugin pixelator or brought books that can be given like /rules?

I thought it would be cool to bring it in game through books. A plugin would certainly help.

Also, I am looking to put the next issue out this upcoming Friday. Work has picked up unexpectedly, so I have not had much time on the servers so far. So any stories would greatly help!