IAMA Nerd.nu Head Admin, AMA

JohnAdams1735

Hello there fellow Minecrafters, nerd.nu players, Redditors, and anyone else who may see this.

It was suggested to me that a Head Admin write up and engage in an AMA post on our new forums as a way to kick them off. I agreed that it seemed like a good idea, and could even be fun. So here we are.  :biggrin:

This is an opportunity for all of you to well, ask me anything. But it is also an opportunity for you to maybe get to know me as a Head Admin, to see what I actually do around here, and perhaps even see the person behind the name JohnAdams1735.

I am fully prepared to answer anything I can answer. There are three limitations to the questions, however. Anything that would compromise our servers' security, anything that would dox me (or anyone else), and of course I cannot answer anything I do not actually know.  :cool:

I am very much looking forward to answering your questions (as much as I can).  :smile:

• Upvote 5

There are a couple of things I have to ask. Are you crazy? How much have the servers affected you in real life? How many people have you met on the servers and then later in real life?

I have been told I'm a bit off-kilter, yes :3 Like padded-room crazy? No... I'm mostly sane, really.

But yes, the servers have affected me in real life a lot. I mean, it's hard to have it not be so. I've gotten to know a lot of the people here pretty well and consider them friends. So of course I worry about them, wonder how they're doing, cry when they leave the servers forever, etc. I also tend to obsess over things sometimes, so I've planned out builds in my head as I try to fall asleep and wind up staying away for hours and stuff like that.

The time commitment for being a Head Admin has also affected me in real life. There was a night recently where I was up until 3:30am or so talking with people instead of sleeping and ended up not getting down what I had intended to get done the next day because of the loss of sleep. So maybe that does make me crazy :3

On the other hand, this community was also the thing I looked forward to ever night after getting off the road when I was driving 2,000 miles to live in a new place. It is also the place I came to for comfort when I found out my former professor died in a car crash last year. So it goes both ways, the give and take. And these are only just the most recent examples - I've been playing the nerd.nu servers for nearly 2 years now!  :ohmy:

How many people have I met on the servers? Oh god, there are so many. Most of them came and went fast but a lot of them have been around for a long time. And, of course, I get to meet new people all the time :D It's one of the reasons I love training new mods - I get to know them during that time a bit better and maybe make some new friends!

I have only met one person from here in real life so far (not counting those I already knew in real life).

• Upvote 3

What is better coffee or tea?

Tea. I don't care for coffee :3

Who's your favorite president not named John Adams?

Theodore Roosevelt was my favorite until I "met" John Adams, but I also like James Garfield just because he's a cousin of mine  :smile:

Who is the sexiest mod me or tacodude3?

Not going to comment >_>

• Upvote 2

How long have you been playing on the nerd servers, how long have you been a member of reddit?

Started playing July 23, 2011. So... the math. Reddit? I've had a Reddit account since like.... September 12, 2011 (yes, I looked that one up). So yea, I was playing here for a bit before being a redditor  :ohmy:

What was it like becoming a head admin?

At the time it was sort of like a dream come true. Well, I was relieved anyway. At the time, two old Head Admins had stepped down  and it had fallen to another Head Admin to shoulder much of the burden. As a CAdmin, I did as much as I could to help that Head Admin, both in the interest of making sure they didn't burn out as a Head and as a friend. So when I was asked to become a Head, it was sort of a relief so I could actually help. And of course I was excited to come on-board as a Head to help the community as a whole!  :biggrin:  This was also around the time I had playing P and S much more, and as a CAdmin I felt sort of guilty :3 So being able to legitimately expand my attention to the community as a whole was an attractive and exciting idea.

The community had also meant so much to me up to that point and had given me so much, so I wanted to give back to the community and to other people in any way I could. Some of my fondest memories of first playing C was of tebok showing me around his city on C Rev. 15 and I wanted to, in turn, be that cool Head Admin to some other aspiring player (or try to be). This applies to training staff (although the Head to train was me Pilot).

I guess the short answer is that it was exciting and an appealing idea and opportunity to give back to others and the community all that I felt I had received.

• Upvote 3

If you could choose between ruling the world or living in the Pokemon world, what would your starter be?

I would... rule the world? But if I found myself in the Pokemon world, I guess I would start with Pikachu. I'm an old school pokemon-er (I've not played since Red/Blue/Yellow)  :tongue: I also like the idea of being able to shock the crap out of things with lightening. I mean... hmm...

John, what would you use in your basement, chains or ropes?

.... Ropes are softer.

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

What is a typical day like as a head admin?

Additionally how can people better help you in order for you to be able to help them?

Finally, of all the servers / events that have run or are running, which is your favourite?

Outside of Minecraft, what do you enjoy doing during your free time?

Oh boy. Um.... I am playing The Hobbit on my android quite a lot.

As far as non-gaming hobbies, I knit, draw (usually with pencils), write fiction, and collect US coins (I used to be much more involved with this than I am now).

I also love to read fiction - I recently re-read the first three books in the Anne of Green Gables series and I am now working through the Honor Harrington series (on the recommendation of a friend who knows I like the Horatio Hornblower series). I suppose when I'm in the mood I do like walking around and exploring things/places. And running around in the rain or snow.

• Upvote 3