IAMA Nerd.nu Head Admin, AMA

JohnAdams1735

What is a typical day like as a head admin?

Additionally how can people better help you in order for you to be able to help them?

Finally, of all the servers / events that have run or are running, which is your favourite?

Ohhhh, a typical day? Well, lately I've been logging into irc about 2-4pm my time and catching up with people. Saying hi to people, both players and staff (I separate out the two because... and this might sound odd... but I consider it a part of being a head to check up on the staff and see if everything is running smoothly. Also making sure they're alright/happy. It's hard to describe). Anyway, I then hop into mumble and usually talk with people. This is usually when I encounter drama (if there is any). Most recently I've dealt with an inter-personal issue between two players and some issues/questions from mods. Of course, I've also been spending a lot of time dealing with server-related stuff, as well as new mods things and a few additional discussions.

How can people help me help them? Well, I understand that building trust takes time, but I'd like to think that my track record shows that I'm trustworthy. So I suppose the thing I want to emphasize is that I want people to feel comfortable coming to me with their problems/questions. The first thing people can do to help me help them is to feel comfortable coming to me to make me aware of a problem. I can't be everywhere at once and so rely on others to identify issues and relay them to me so I can try to do something about it if I can, or pass it along to someone who can.

My favorite event? Well, to be honest, I really loved the first event I ever played. I think it was in September 2011 and it was a museum map of past builds all pasted together on a map. Then it was chaos rules with /i (except TNT at first I think). I hated the pvp (lol) but once I got free from spawn I could go explore all the builds I had heard about from other people but had yet to see (nerd.nu/backups wasn't up at that time). It's a natural thing for me, being a historian, to be interested in this history of the servers I was still somewhat new to.

As for events I helped build, I think that was the first CTF event in early 2012. I spent many awesome hours spent helping create the map and getting to know thrawn and alansmithee in the process.

• Upvote 2

What's your favorite hobby that's not computer-related?

Hmmm.... maybe writing fiction. It's a lot of fun and I love using my imagination. It's also a good way to escape from reality for awhile :3

If we're being honest, wasn't Samuel Adams the best Adams?

>:D Sam Adams was cool, sure. But I always liked John Adams because he didn't (and still doesn't often) receive the attention the other "bigname" founders did, such as Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin. Yet he did so much for the American Revolution effort. More than I think a lot of people realize. And he was a a highly intelligent, interesting person - and so was his wife! So they're just interesting people to study.

• Upvote 1

Dear John

Since its an Ask me Anything im gonna go ahead and ask :angry:

1. How do you think can we make the community a better place ?
  2. Can we make a reservouir for Buzzie ?
  3. Where did i put my remote ?
  4. Why did god form the blocks like cubes and not like pyramids ? doesnt he like pyramids?
  5. Do you think we could poison Jcll and get away with it ?

Whats the responsibility differences between a server admin and head admin, and are we getting another P admin? :O

Server Admins lookout for their server and basically protect its interests. Like if someone proposed an idea that would benefit C but would harm P, the PAdmins should be among the first and most vocal to protest. They also create the new maps for each revision. They either make or host a contest for the new spawn and put it into place on the new map. They also decide (with player input) the road designs, where the portals go and other such design details. They also do anything that requires world edit (like moving builds) or locked chests on P and S.

Head Admins are like a server admin, but we have to keep in mind the needs of all three servers. We help with the new map stuff as well (if needed/we want) but also just sort of make sure things are moving along as necessary and help the server admins with new map launches and the like. Head Admins are also responsible for making the community safe and comfortable for legitimate players to play, socialize, and maybe make a "home." By extension, then, we determine server policy - i.e. what's bannable, how to handle new issues that come up, and so on. Of course, it's all informed by the general population of the server and other staff (without bending to every whim). We try to act in what we see as the best interests of the servers/community as much as we can.

That's a big wall-o-text for that question, but I hope it helps.

As for a new PAdmin, yes, discussion has already begun (and in some ways had started before thrawn was even made a head). Most of us have lists in the back of our minds in case we have to fill a slot quickly. And it's human nature, I think, for people to keep an eye on the up-and-coming mods who stand out as potential Admin material, much the way I think mods keep an eye out for players who they think would make good mod material. It usually helps to just be prepared.

• Upvote 2

Favorite meal for breakfast, lunch & dinner?

I usually don't eat breakfast :/ But I did have a really good one not too long ago: Eggs Benedict. I'm not usually an egg person, but that was amazingly delicious!

Lunch: Um.... Given my answer for dinner, can I say pizza here? I love pizza (but then again, most people do  :happy: )

Dinner: Probably lasagna. It has pasta, cottage cheese, and tomato sauce. What isn't there to love?!

Would you fight a hundred duck-sized horses or a single horse-sized duck?

Uhhhh.... I'd be terrified of both, I guess, but running away from a single horse-sized duck might be easier.

On a scale of one to ten, how much does it annoy you when I light you on fire?

Hah! I'll say.... a 2. Usually  :tongue:

If you have 4 pencils and I have 7, how many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Forty-three, of course. Now stop asking for help with your math homework.

I was going to say 42. CRAP!  :angry:

• Upvote 3

Dear John

Since its an Ask me Anything im gonna go ahead and ask :angry:

1. How do you think can we make the community a better place ?
  2. Can we make a reservouir for Buzzie ?
  3. Where did i put my remote ?
  4. Why did god form the blocks like cubes and not like pyramids ? doesnt he like pyramids?
  5. Do you think we could poison Jcll and get away with it ?

1. Oh, boy. Better. Hmmm.... That's a tough question to answer off the cuff like this. I mean, I suppose it comes around to what I see is wrong with the servers or at least what could be improved. For example, the server population. I suppose could be a better place by bringing more people in, especially to S and C. I had intended for this AMA to make it clear that the Head Admin staff is accessible and approachable, which I think helps the community as well. This isn't much of an answer, and for that, I apologize :3

2. Ummmm..... sure?

3. I have no idea, sorry :/ Have you tried under the couch cushions?

4. It says clearly in the Book of Minecraft that "and then lo, God willed it that the blocks gamers play with shall be cuboids; not pyramidyls. Yea; cubes are more symmetrical and represent the holy quadraty, those being dirt, stone, sand, and ice." Beyond that, I cannot account :3

5. Probably not  :ohmy:

• Upvote 2