IAMA Nerd.nu Head Admin, AMA

JohnAdams1735

Addendum to my previous questions:

Is your name really John Adams? Or is it Brook Adams? Or, do you just pick random people and use their names?

No and no and... no  :tongue:

John Adams was the second president of the United States from 1797-1800. I'm a fan of his (and of US History) and he was born in 1735. Brooks Adams was his Great-Grandson (born 1848). But Brooks is also a gender-ambivalent name and just well, a cool name, so I use it as a pen name sometimes. Yes, there's an "s" at the end of Brooks; it's not a typo  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some staff have been biased against certain groups of players. They're not setting a good example as a staff members, what will be done about it? I don't want to use names or go full depth here, but if this were happening, what would be done? (Copy and paste from the meeting)

Edited by TornadoHorse

Since the Head Admins of nerd, JA(Creative), thrawn21(pve), wickedcoolsteve(pve), shouldn't the head admin team draw from all the servers? That way each head knows how a server and its playerbase works accordingly.

I second this. S needs a head admin to represent it's best interests.

Guest Former Staff

With the survival server not being obviously represented in the sense that a former survival admin is within the head admin team. How are the interests of survival conveyed within the head admin team?

...shouldn't the head admin team draw from all the servers?

Just as a reminder, from the creation of the server until WickedCoolSteve's joining the Head Admin team, PvE went 22 months without a "representative" in the Head Admins. During this period, P grew and flourished despite myriad technical problems, so having a head admin "in your camp" isn't an absolute necessity for successful growth. That being said, having a diversity of backgrounds on any team is always a good thing, and personal experience with the day-to-day operations of each server is a boon for the head admins as a group.

• Upvote 1

With the survival server not being obviously represented in the sense that a former survival admin is within the head admin team. How are the interests of survival conveyed within the head admin team?

The former survival admin within the head admin team that you're referring to has stepped down as announced in the staff meeting. Also I don't think that particular admin was so much focused on survival, than the servers as a whole.

Guest Former Staff

The former survival admin within the head admin team that you're referring to has stepped down as announced in the staff meeting. Also I don't think that particular admin was so much focused on survival, than the servers as a whole.

My question was more aimed at revealing how it doesn't particularly matter which servers each of the head admins have come from given their involvement in all.

My question was more aimed at revealing how it doesn't particularly matter which servers each of the head admins have come from given their involvement in all.

The last time I saw a head admin on S was when Lude was running the arena nights. That was actually one of the only times I've seen a head admin on S this whole revision. I know that their time on S doesn't accurately represent their involvement in it, but it can give you somewhat of an idea.

I said earlier that S needs a head admin to represent it's best interests. In my opinion, a head admin from S would feel empathy to S and it's problems. I think it would motivate them to clarify rules & do more work for the server that they came from. I'm not saying the heads don't work hard for S, because we know they do(and really appreciate it), I just think a head from S would have more of a drive to improve S, as opposed to one that wasn't from S.

Guest Former Staff

I just think a head from S would have more of a drive to improve S, as opposed to one that wasn't from S.

Sorry for hi-jacking the AMA with this ongoing question. I feel I have to point you in the direction of your server admins here.

• 1 month later...

Some staff have been biased against certain groups of players. They're not setting a good example as a staff members, what will be done about it? I don't want to use names or go full depth here, but if this were happening, what would be done? (Copy and paste from the meeting)

At first I thought this was about me, but I later realized this was about someone else. The standard way to deal with this (for me) is to talk with both sides and try to understand why the players feel biased against and why the staff member(s) did what they did. Often it boils down to misinterpretation of intent from one or both sides. Usually it also comes down to telling both sides to steer clear of each other and try not to antagonize the other side.

It's a little like dealing with children, to be honest. If you can't get along, stay in your own separate corners. And the staff in question are told to get another staff member to deal with the players if there's ever a problem in the future. A bit like not modding your own PvP, since you're personally involved with the supposed offender. I'd also like to point out that there is no equivalent crimp placed on the normal proceedings of the players involved.

And, of course, both sides are always welcome to appeal to a higher "authority" if they feel they've been misused by anyone.

I second this. S needs a head admin to represent it's best interests.

The last time I saw a head admin on S was when Lude was running the arena nights. That was actually one of the only times I've seen a head admin on S this whole revision. I know that their time on S doesn't accurately represent their involvement in it, but it can give you somewhat of an idea.

I said earlier that S needs a head admin to represent it's best interests. In my opinion, a head admin from S would feel empathy to S and it's problems. I think it would motivate them to clarify rules & do more work for the server that they came from. I'm not saying the heads don't work hard for S, because we know they do(and really appreciate it), I just think a head from S would have more of a drive to improve S, as opposed to one that wasn't from S.

I'll try not to take it personally that I too helped run arena nights last S rev and yet apparently I am beneath your notice.

As far as the best interests of S, I try to keep the best interests of all the servers in mind at all times. For me it's a balancing act. S isn't my only server; I "belong" to all three. The true advocates for S ought to be and are the SAdmins. They have an idea for S, they run it by the Heads, we consider what it would mean to S but also to P and/or C, and if we find no conflict, then usually the idea can be implemented. Obviously it can and usually is more complicated than that, but while someone who has a working knowledge of the S culture would be a good addition to the Head Admin team, a true Head Admin cannot and should not be focused strictly on one server.

As schererererer pointed out, for most of the time I have been staff (since September 2011), most of the Head Admins came from C and S. S had luke and Lude; C had AlcoJew, forty_two, Pilot3033, fazaden (I'm assuming), cmdrtebok, and me. To be honest I'm not sure what server Skuld played. It is only very recently that has shifted to P and C. If I remember correctly, Steve has been the first P-based Head Admin since I've been staff. And as I said, I may not have originated on S - a lot of people didn't, in fact most people started playing C first, then shifted over - I have played every Rev of S since Rev. 13. How am I not an S player? Yes, I "claim" C as my home and I was a CAdmin, but I have played every Rev of all three servers since January 2012 in some capacity. And I intend to continue doing so as much as writing my dissertation for a Ph.D. allows.

Yes, we do need more Heads, and I would love to pull from S if said SAdmin is the best for the job at the time under the current circumstances. I don't really care what server they're from; I'm not prejudiced.

Sorry for the delay in responding to all of this.

At first I thought this was about me, but I later realized this was about someone else. The standard way to deal with this (for me) is to talk with both sides and try to understand why the players feel biased against and why the staff member(s) did what they did. Often it boils down to misinterpretation of intent from one or both sides. Usually it also comes down to telling both sides to steer clear of each other and try not to antagonize the other side.

It wasn't about anyone really, but there have been a few occasions where it's happened. Thanks for answering :)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

How many swags do you yolo per second?

If you were charged a fine of 420 golden SnapBacks and couldn't pay up, would you prefer your execution to be:

a) Death by bootytwerk

Or

b) Death by tittieflap

Or

c) Death by drowning in dribble?

What could be done to have less hate against mods by S players when one of their friends is banned?

Survival players don't hate mods because their friends gets banned, most survival players don't even hate staff at all...

Some players (in general, not limited to survival) will cause trouble if they do not agree with a decision by staff, involving a ban for example.

Though there are sometimes (heated) discussions involving a ban this does not mean (S.) players hate mods, generalising for such things isn't very good...

• Upvote 3

What I said is what I hear about sometimes.

If everyone at MCPublic based decisions off what they hear about, then S wouldn't exist, we'd have to turn C into a daycare center and PvE would need more rainbows and sprinkles.

• Upvote 5