Expanding the community

gdavison

I'm curious to know what people think about expanding to other games, or other forms of entertainment on the internet.  I like the structure of this community, I like our community standards.  I like our quest for a fun and fair environment.  I like how the staff are chosen and the admins choose their successors, and how we survive on donations from the community.

The thing is, right now our identity is tied to Minecraft.  Minecraft is a great game and it brought us together, but if people get bored of the game they tend to move on.  We should be aiming to stop this in ways other than trying to bring them back to MC.

I know about the Steam group, I'm in it, and I think it's great, but it doesn't seem to really expand the community, only serve as a meeting point for people who are already in the community and are playing games in another environment.  Let me know if I'm wrong.

Let me know what you think, no holds barred.  Consider this a brainstorming session.

• Upvote 3

A few of us have time and time again asked for activity on the official Steam group but the staff have never actually done anything of note on there apart from recently removing some inactive staff and adding active moderators. Hell, there's even an alternate Steam group which is run mainly by d3north, TheFlyingTuna, buzzie71 and myself but we haven't done any events of note either. A lot of people would be more attracted to an event on the official Steam group because shiny terms like "staff-run" tend to draw in a lot more people. I'm not really sure what we were trying to accomplish by adding more staff to the official group, obviously it's had a very little effect on the actual matter at hand and I for one would like to see an event pop up sometime in the nearish future. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

It's been brought up before, and as I have noticed, that is what many minecraft communities are doing now-a-days. I'm all for other games, but there aren't many games that just meet the needs of our OCD like minecraft. I'd say Gmod, but that game also kinda finished its run as a really popular multiplayer game. 

We'd need to find some games that suit the players of all 3 servers. 

• Upvote 1

A few of us have time and time again asked for activity on the official Steam group but the staff have never actually done anything of note on there apart from recently removing some inactive staff and adding active moderators. Hell, there's even an alternate Steam group which is run mainly by d3north, TheFlyingTuna, buzzie71 and myself but we haven't done any events of note either. A lot of people would be more attracted to an event on the official Steam group because shiny terms like "staff-run" tend to draw in a lot more people. I'm not really sure what we were trying to accomplish by adding more staff to the official group, obviously it's had a very little effect on the actual matter at hand and I for one would like to see an event pop up sometime in the nearish future. 

We updated the staff list and perms so anyone on staff could create announcements for games if players ask which unfortunately I don't believe has happened. I know a few staff members will send out an announcement for games they are starting, but I do agree that the group could be used more. I have a few ideas on how to better use of the group that I will try to get going this week, but I would like to hear from you guys if you have any ideas or suggestions.

• Upvote 1

The thread in off topic called games and banter is the perfect place

If everything was posted there it would be easy for things to get buried in the thread. I was suggesting a separate area on the forums for organizing games on the main page. 

• Upvote 1

If everything was posted there it would be easy for things to get buried in the thread. I was suggesting a separate area on the forums for organizing games on the main page. 

Well the idea would be to discuss games in the thread and then if an event was to be scheduled, for that to happen through one of the two steam groups.

Well the idea would be to discuss games in the thread and then if an event was to be scheduled, for that to happen through one of the two steam groups.

Discussing every game session in one post seems like it could be messy. Having a "gaming" section on the forums would allow anyone to organize a steam or non-steam game event.

• Upvote 3

The steam group needs to be integrated with the forum and given a higher profile on the subreddit. Polls are cool. Do some polls to find out what games are popular and what kind of events people would like to do.

I'd like to see us makes use of hamchi and gameranger, programs which allow you and your computer to run multiplayer games for older games whose servers have shutdown. There are plenty of people hankering after a bit of SWAT 4 or Star Wars Battlefront, but getting them in the same place at the same time can be tricky. Nerd might find a niche setting these things up for people. Specifically, those who don't have much time free for minecraft or games in general really and who want to play stuff they know they like with people they know. These events could produce some good streaming content as well given the untapped nostalgia for multiplayer experiences that are no longer with us. I'd definately watch a twitch that had an active community of new and older players tackling old favourites like the first red faction or far cry. But that's just me y'know.

S and "competitive" MC in general are lost causes for many reasons. Divert the resources from that waste of a server slot into developing mcpublic on less stagnant platforms. Pretty please.

• Upvote 1

It's been brought up before, and as I have noticed, that is what many minecraft communities are doing now-a-days. I'm all for other games, but there aren't many games that just meet the needs of our OCD like minecraft. I'd say Gmod, but that game also kinda finished its run as a really popular multiplayer game. 

We'd need to find some games that suit the players of all 3 servers. 

I didn't realize that, I took a quick look around at some other communities, and saw that they did tend to have servers for games other than MC.  A Starbound sever was suggested -- I believe it's by the same developer as Terraria and in the same vein.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

How big would you want it to go, then? I think we'd need a community admin to manage things if we plan on doing multiple servers (even if its not having our own servers, just playing on other peoples')

As big as possible!  I envision a world where game developers consult with the headadmins before putting out major patches.  Or something like that.  In all seriousness, take it as big as the demand is.  The world needs moar gaming communities like nerd.nu.  The bureaucracy would fall into place if it's needed =)

Personal vote is we make a nerd battlefield 4 clan but meh. Also would these all be on PC specific or console like ps4 cause of steam there?

Anything that there's demand for really.  We don't really have control over other servers so I only see that as a nice to have.  But any official nerd.nu groups on other platforms are cool too.

like eehee said, i run a steam group called RedditMC Gaming. We play many multiplayer games, but mostly just Source-based for ease of use etc. The group is alright, i guess, but a bit anemic as of late.

Time for the No-Holds-Barred part.

We used to play Trouble in Terrorist Town a LOT, like, five hours a night for a few months, with a record of 23 people at once in a mumble channel. We played on various public servers, but sometimes it wasnt cool since there were other people that weren't part of nerd, just random players who happened to be on at the same time.

We looked for a private server, considered costs, and were ready to rent when someone said they had a private server. So we used that for two months or so, until Nerd Dramatm got brought over and caused a pretty major divide in the group, between those who wanted equality and those who wanted control. Hell, this drama even caused major rifts in a NON-nerd group.

Now once again the call for a Community Admin arises, and some who attempt to answer only will do it for personal gain, and staff who are against rocking the boat and being a bit daring will now endlessly debate, create polls, and continue to spew excuses and create scenarios of extreme failure etc.

I'm tired of it.

I thought that this was a place where anyone's ideas could be said, discussed, and implemented, not a gilded prison of bureaucracy and the playground of the connected. Nerd despises change, and only does so through much pressure, or someone with power pushes it forward.

For Nerd to have a new face, a new direction, a wider community, it has to look inwards and change itself and the politics that is its current direction.

EDIT:

My personal thoughts are for someone not currently on staff to be recognized as a Community Organizer/Admin, not current staff as this will sharpen the already major divides in the server player bases

Edited by d3north
  • Upvote 5

until Nerd Dramatm got brought over and caused a pretty major divide in the group, between those who wanted equality and those who wanted control.

No, not nerd drama. Let's be honest here. It was you breaking the rules of the server repetitively and me having to kick you for it. Tristan, redwall and I provided a random-free server for us to play TTT on, that didn't mean you could RDM, name change and cause drama by rule-lawyering, while hiding behind the accusation of 'admin aboose'. redwall still has the logs to prove it.

This server is still available, by the way. Being paid for out of mine and redwall's pockets.  And what thanks did we get for it? Complaints about set up, accusations of abuse of powers (which the logs prove didn't happen) and drama and bitching behind our backs.

Edited by twilexis
  • Upvote 4

Have any of you played Rust?  It's got a lot of similar elements to Minecraft, it might be a good direction for the community to expand.  Maybe a Rust server?

Rust is in a pretty poor spot right now. They're redoing almost the entire game, with the old servers mostly empty and the new version of the game being very badly optimized. I think it'll be fun in the future, but not right now.

If I recall, Terraria is pretty similar to Minecraft too, but I don't know too much about it.

Terraria is a lot of fun. Think minecraft but with thousands of items, real boss fights, and crazy crafting.

Edited by Jauris