Expanding the community

gdavison

How was it derailing the thread other than the fact someone got butthurt over it and began flaming me?

It simply said that drama is unavoidable in nerd related things and then someone comes along and proves it, then IM the one who gets in trouble and gets threats for "driving away" someone from the community!

How was it derailing the thread other than the fact someone got butthurt over it and began flaming me?

It simply said that drama is unavoidable in nerd related things and then someone comes along and proves it, then IM the one who gets in trouble and gets threats for "driving away" someone from the community!

You brought up something that happened on another server and was off topic, so it was removed. It's that simple. No one is singling you out or is removing your post because they hate you.

If anyone was threatened you, please let us know so we can take care of it.

Dude, it was off topic in my thread, it was hidden because of it.  Believe me, things I do and say get ignored and hidden IRL sometimes too.  Just roll with it.  If you have something productive you want to say, make a new thread.  I'm not trying to be a dick or put anyone down... I just want us to have some reasonable discussion about this.

• Upvote 2

Dude, it was off topic in my thread, it was hidden because of it.  Believe me, things I do and say get ignored and hidden IRL sometimes too.  Just roll with it.  If you have something productive you want to say, make a new thread.  I'm not trying to be a dick or put anyone down... I just want us to have some reasonable discussion about this.

All i was saying was that drama is unavoidable and yet Im blamed for "derailing" a thread about how to expand from MC? I am actively trying to run a steam group for nerd but cannot from drama and I give a warning of how it cant be escaped as long as nerd.nu is involved, suddenly I've become a hooligan who is inciting people to drama.

• Upvote 3

All i was saying was that drama is unavoidable and yet Im blamed for "derailing" a thread about how to expand from MC? I am actively trying to run a steam group for nerd but cannot from drama and I give a warning of how it cant be escaped as long as nerd.nu is involved, suddenly I've become a hooligan who is inciting people to drama.

-

From Eehee:

There are many reasons why that drama started but frankly it's already happened and will continue to happen. Having a whinge at d3 will do very little to prevent drama, might I add.

Thanks for running that Steam group, it's great that some out there are workin' it for nerd.

I wasn't having a whinge (never heard of that before), or trying to take a chunk out of anyone.  I was saying that the posts are being hidden because they're off topic, no one is being blamed for anything, we're just trying to keep the thread on topic.  And now, pls, if you want to discuss it further, please make a new thread to keep this thread on topic =P

I always want to play games that I buy, but unfortunately a lot of them are single player games and it's not really all that fun to be alone in a corner meanwhile everyone else is off doing something. I'm sure there are plenty other that also have the same problem. What about starting a sub community of players that like to stream their gameplay, that way everyone can still kinda be a part of what it feels like to play in big groups. Not to mention if we spread out into places like twitch as a group more people will want in on the same thing, if not, they'll at least get a kick out of us being idiots amongst each other.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't having a whinge (never heard of that before), or trying to take a chunk out of anyone.  I was saying that the posts are being hidden because they're off topic, no one is being blamed for anything, we're just trying to keep the thread on topic.  And now, pls, if you want to discuss it further, please make a new thread to keep this thread on topic =P

Didn't mean to imply that you were but just as a general term is all. \o/

• Upvote 1

We already have an official Steam group, which we've been working on (albeit slowly) giving perms to current admins and moderators. Not sure why advertising yours, which has an almost confusingly similar name, is relevant to the discussion, either.

It's because in the past you've never actually done anything of note with the official Steam group. Not a single gaming tournament or even just a casual gaming event has been held yet we've offered to step in and help which has been met with little response until now. 

• Upvote 3

It's because in the past you've never actually done anything of note with the official Steam group. Not a single gaming tournament or even just a casual gaming event has been held yet we've offered to step in and help which has been met with little response until now. 

You mean these casual gaming events?

njleq2U.png

It's a work in progress, and I believe the goal is to have more of this sort of thing going on, with different games, but it's definitely being used. It's also the easiest way to find Nerd.nu players to add on Steam.

It was discussed here before, I think by Denevien possibly? Then it got put on the back burner and forgotten, and the idea was only recently revived again.

I think extending this usage is the best way to "expand the community," perhaps coupled with a couple of eventual game servers for other popular games.

I think the issue in the past with the steam mcpublic group was that most of the people running it were old players who weren't even around on nerd anymore. It made things more complicated than it needed to be to set up an event, and led to the other group being made. The only issue now is just deciding who to ask for setting an event up, which seems to likely be moderators who've been added to the steam group. People just need to start using it now. I like Den's idea for originally having gaming events on our forum calender as well.

There's also been discussion for potentially allowing us to point to other servers not officially part of nerd, like for example the TTT server mentioned. There'd have to be guidelines in place for that in order to have a listing, but I think it's a good idea. I think it'd be more cost effective than nerd hosting its own servers for games all the time since unpopular games would 'die out' so to speak. That's more of a decision for the heads/techs to make though.

That said, I play a lot of Planetside 2 on the weekends, which is F2P. People are welcome to join me. I run NC(freedom, fuck yea!) on Connery, but could make another character if need be.

I play a lot of Planetside 2 on the weekends, which is F2P. People are welcome to join me. I run NC(freedom, fuck yea!) on Connery, but could make another character if need be.

>NC

being this much of a rebel

TR for life, fuck yo ideals and shit, we have the power to crush your little uprising

• Upvote 2

That's a well executed decision, as it seems to cover the need for people to showcase their non-minecraft servers without having to make non-public posts about it. Nice addition!

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Upvote 3

Seeing as I wasn't allowed to comment for the past 2 days I would like to FINALLY put on my *serious face*.

• People have tried many times to expand the community i.e. D3north, however many times he has been shut down by staff or members because they don't fancy him.
  • The main nerd steam group was taken over essentially by Redwall_hp and Twilexis' TTT server, now I understand they opened it for nerd players but thats not what ended up happening. It was for the select people they liked to play games with and was advertised on the nerd steam group. Seems a bit fishy to me... 
  • In case people think i'm targeting people or attacking I would like to state that I am just speaking myself and others opinions.

Now on to what I think should happen.

• Firstly I think we should do what was already done and add a section in the forums to talk about games outside of nerd. (High five for listening!)
  • Secondly I think we should be able to ask admins and moderators in the steam group community to allow events to be added by players of nerd so we can try to organize game nights together.

Thanks for reading,

B M MOTHER FUCKING X

Edited by bmx20042004
  • Upvote 6

I commend your effort. I think you can see the effectiveness of the large text and swearing, and whether to use them next time.

• People have tried many times to expand the community i.e. D3north, however many times he has been shut down by staff or members.
  • The main nerd steam group was taken over essentially by Redwall_hp and Twilexis' TTT server, now I understand they opened it for nerd players but thats not what ended up happening. It was for the select people they liked to play games with and was advertised on the nerd steam group. Seems a bit fishy to me... 
  • In case people think i'm targeting people or attacking I would like to state that I am just speaking myself and others opinions.

Now on to what I suggest.

• Firstly I think we should do what was already done and add a section in the forums to talk about games outside of nerd.
  • Secondly I think we should be able to ask admins and moderators in the steam group community to allow events to be added by players of nerd so we can try to organize game nights together.

Thanks for reading,

B M X

D3north made a good effort. He was 'shut down' as in the official steam group is active and being worked on. Which is probably what he wanted to cause.

Redwall made a good effort. He wasn't just suggesting games, asking for a server, but made a server. It just so happens to be the first one made without any great fuss. Which is what we're all wanting to cause.

It sounds like there are discussions about game nights already, feel free to contribute to that.

• Upvote 2

probably what he wanted to cause

I want a nerd.nu-related steamgroup that is active and has the ability to become a platform for not just steam games but also for other things as well. The current Reddit MCpublic group is not what i wanted. There are two or three people who run it and it is a bandage on a bleeding wound, which if not fixed can be deadly.

just so happens to be the first one made without any great fuss.

There has been a lot of fuss, which is why the unofficial group got split. For more information, contact me directly.

• Upvote 1

That said, I play a lot of Planetside 2 on the weekends, which is F2P. People are welcome to join me. I run NC(freedom, fuck yea!) on Connery, but could make another character if need be.

NC Scum! Know your place in this world and bow down to the TR, your precious freedom is no match for us.

(I play TR on Connery as SwitchView, I know who I plan on killing now)

I want a nerd.nu-related steamgroup that is active and has the ability to become a platform for not just steam games but also for other things as well. The current Reddit MCpublic group is not what i wanted. There are two or three people who run it and it is a bandage on a bleeding wound, which if not fixed can be deadly.

The steam group is such a mess because we have no one really leading it or coordinating what is going on. Sure we can ask to be a mod on there so that we can add events but there is no one person going "We are making Friday Nights TF2 Night or F2P Game Night" or something like that. We need some sort of leader to oversee everything. I don't know if that should be a staff member or just someone from the community, as I don't know how the admins feel about making non-staff members group admins/mods on there. Something needs to be done though to make it better.

• Upvote 4

The steam group is such a mess because we have no one really leading it or coordinating what is going on. Sure we can ask to be a mod on there so that we can add events but there is no one person going "We are making Friday Nights TF2 Night or F2P Game Night" or something like that. We need some sort of leader to oversee everything. I don't know if that should be a staff member or just someone from the community, as I don't know how the admins feel about making non-staff members group admins/mods on there. Something needs to be done though to make it better.

I guess this is generally why I think we should be running new servers to expand the community, not having Steam groups (as an expansion plan).  The servers worked in the first place because they were always there and available to log on to.  People could play MC themselves or try to make new friends as they pleased.  It soon became a place to go to because you knew people there and you were pretty sure you were going to enjoy your time playing MC.  This is the environment we have to try to re-create.

With a steam group, a call goes out for a certain game at a certain time, and there may or may not be a few players willing to play.  If there are then great, but if it keeps not happening (which seems to be the case?) then people aren't going to see it as an expansion of the community.  If there was usually people on who wanted to play a certain game, then it would be awesome for those people, but I think for the most part they've already found each other (a la Civ5) and don't organize through the steam group.