Announcing bans

MasterCommaThe

Recently a greifer was interacting with players and in the process of banning them the open conversation got cut off abruptly. To clarify why the user left when players started theorizing why, I /o'd "User <name> has been banned for griefing and a hacked client." I figured, there's no harm since mcbans information is public knowledge to those with the know-how of how to access the logs, and ban appeals certainly are public on our own forums. I've done this repeatedly and received some praise from regular players for the announcements and questions of whether it would continue to be done in the future. Another mod though made me aware that there was some reprimand to mods who had done this in the past, but couldn't remember why. So I'd like to ask what our policy is, and if we'd consider continuing this at will?

If someone asks specifically if someone who was just talking was banned, i'll answer honestly in general chat (no /o usage) that yes, they were, and that players are welcome to see their appeal when it's available to find out why (i've linked the mcbouncer page on some occasions in the past, but emphasised that discussion of bans in general chat is usually discouraged). Otherwise, i'll let them come to their own conclusion about what happened, because if it wasn't something affecting their conversation (such as use of hate speech; harassment), then chances are they're going to start asking more questions about why that person was banned, and we don't really need to be hassled about that sort of thing when it's best left to being answered in the appeal. I'd not be keen on announcing bans whenever they happen, or using highlighted text for greater visibility on such statements (unless the conversation surrounding their leaving got out of hand), as it makes a spectacle of something that isn't necessary. People glorify bans enough as it is, in my opinion, best not to add to that ourselves.

• Upvote 3

For some context - we actually used to (2+ years ago) broadcast all bans/unbans server-wide (maybe also kicks), including both the name and reason given.  I believe this was right around when we switched to MCBouncer.

This was generally found to do more harm than good - while it was helpful in notifying players when a very conspicuous troublemaker was taken care, it also called attention to all the other, much less conspicuous bans (including those of players who aren't even online at the same, which happens frequently when dealing with griefing modreqs).  This tended to derail chat quite often, especially if the need for the ban wasn't obvious from watching chat.  Plus you'd have all the people circlejerking about it ("<playerA> banhammer'd!", etc.)

So, letting people know a player got banned is fine - but I generally wouldn't do it unless people are asking you what happened to them (in which case, just use regular chat).

• 3 months later...