Do you think nerd.nu should run servers for other games?

gdavison

Do you think nerd.nu should run servers for other games?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think nerd.nu should run servers for other games?

• No, I think we should stick with Minecraft
    • Yes, I think we should run other game servers

the main thing i have seen is that these should be community owned, not privately, as not to encourage people to pocket cash. any donations etc should be put towards running nerd servers in general

I agree but there is a lot we will need to figure out for that. Such as, do we use current donation money? Is there enough donation money? Should we be running more donation drives if there is not enough money? Who would staff the server, current staff or..? What game would we host for? Etc...

I like the idea of there being player-run servers accessible. I like the idea of not having to worry about staff administrating more stuff. I like the idea of players being able to contribute in yet another way to the community. I like the diversity in game accessibility that outsourcing servers to the community would provide.

I worry about the potential for "unofficial" nerd servers that do not adhere for example to our standards when it comes to moderating the treatment of others with respect, or being pay to win, unfair, etc. I think we should be very cautious with anything that tries to use redditpublic or mcpublic or nerd.nu or any variation of our brand in its name. I also worry about the idea of us potentially freely advertising servers that do not attempt to treat players with the same level of respect nerd does.

I think if nerd did not host additional official non-minecraft servers, then we should be careful with any servers that we claim affiliation with or that we specially feature.

At this time, I believe the best route is to go with what we have: a section of the forums for players to list games they want to play, advertise their servers unaffiliated with nerd in any official capacity. Maybe if one game is particularly well-liked then in the future we can select staff to moderate an official server for that game which would follow all of nerd's rules/policies - and that should probably not be the near future.

• Upvote 1

No, people with an interest in certain games should run their own servers ( by renting / running on their server ) and allowing it to be used by the nerd community. These people should have moderater like privilages over their specific part of the forum ( for that game and assocaited server ) and left mostly to their own devices. There should be some cross polination with permissions to admin staff for 'community direction' type matters - making sure whoever is running it isnt being a tool mostly. As Mumber has mentioned there should be rules that all of these servers have to adhere to.

If a server is accepted it should get a spot othe forums and a dns subdomain of the *.nerd.nu address.

Deciding we want to run gameserverX and then forcing that onto our techs is not something we should be doing. I sure wouldn't want to help running a server I make no use of, have no iterest in and know nothing about. Let the people who want something contribute it to the rest of the community, if they cant run it themselves then asking techs or the wider community for support would be a good step.

• Upvote 2

c45y i think thats a good idea, its just that the history of nerd and things with its name is that if staff are not involved in some high position then it is not recognized as "official", and sometimes its not the way to go.

some things need trust, but i understand if staff are distrusting given history

Yes, so far as the admins and tech admins feel that they have the time and money for. And that we should expect whatever they want, such as the Minecraft servers have priority. A players first thought when seeing a game not hosted should be to work out which community member is able to host/pay for it.

• Upvote 1