Opening feedback from the head admin log

d3north

I totally agree with the part about honest, respectful debate, however I have a problem with what you're saying as a whole. If a certain server isn't getting the service it needs, if certain staff members aren't fulfilling their responsibilities, what are we meant to do? Of course the answer would be take the issue to a head admin privately. What if nothing is still done? What if that server still doesn't receive the attention it needs? Because to me and many others, this is what seems to be happening right now. We've gone in full circles of taking care with our approaches, drawing up detailed lists of things that need to be done and we've also tried campaigning loudly to get people to recognise the problem. This issue is brought up far too often because it is never solved. What are we meant to do?

Ultimately, changes on the servers can only really be pushed through by their admins - even in the case of an intransigent admin, being too aggressive/disruptive has no upside and can only exacerbate the problem. I'm relatively new so I probably don't have the best sense of the subtleties of many specific problems, and to be honest I often got lost in the lists of things that needed to be done just by virtue of there being so many suggestions. I'm willing to be an advocate for novel ideas (even if I don't necessarily agree with them) and make sure things are moving, but I'd have to be able to refer to specific solutions in order to know where to go - criticisms alone are definitely useful, but only so helpful.

The comments are hidden, rather than deleted, correct?

It'd be better if they were hidden, rather than deleted because Staff (at their own or by player request) would be able to refer back to them at a later date.

If the posts are hidden, I would say discussion here is fine, as long as we get actual responses and physical actions from the Head Admins.

Comments would typically be hidden, but I'm thinking of spinning off any big topics (e.g. this) that see plenty of constructive debate.

My point is that normal ban judging is assisted by criteria and more importantly the rules themselves to fairly deem whether the 'offender' has actually done anything wrong, whereas with the new terms a Head could simply go 'I dislike that, have a weeklong ban' without a proper way of determining whether the player in question is innocent. 

The "new" terms still derive from the same rules as before, the only change is that we're actually enforcing the conduct related ones stringently. A head admin could in fact not simply do that any more than in the past - as always, evidence gets collated and documented.

Everything takes so much time to happen.

We were told by Dumbo in the last general meeting that they were working on finances.. 2 months later... nothings changed.

I agree with you 100% there. There are a number of problems that exacerbate this, the biggest of which is distributed responsibility - there's no single head honcho at any level in staff, and the few people who have ended up taking on disproportionate responsibility (sometimes stepping on toes) have an alarming tendency to quit. We've been integrating action items from admin meetings and checking in with each other to curb this, but it's emergent from this staff setup. A very long term trend of rolling inactivity in the head admins (at the top of the responsibility chain) did not help that, but we're moving toward a full lineup of active and engaged heads.

"There are other ways to advertise without spending money. For instance cross posting to r/minecraft"

Sweet.

Let's fix Survival and start using them! :D

Could the P/C Admins identify the methods of advertising we currently using for their respective servers?

Not a P Admin anymore, but afaik C and P have not been doing any advertising beyond the same free server listing sites that S is also on.

• Upvote 8

I've started posting regularly to /r/mcservers (every 2 weeks, as Avada said I could- he's a mod there) and I've listed C on several MC server lists.

Advertising was a discussion point in the last admin meeting.  I've also started an admin discussion thread on advertising in the Admins forum to get the ball rolling.

Four, I've sent you a PM on IRC about your ideas for advertising but I didn't get a reply. (November 21st)

• Upvote 2