I think it is time to drop the "reddit" affiliation

cdmrtbeok

Yeah TH to be fair I asked people on Creative. 

Still though we obviously need to make a push for real advertising and the trickle from that website isn't worth the name confusion or the redditor reputation. I still think calling ourselves Reddit servers is just as lame as being the Yahoo servers or the Myspace servers and having no real affiliation.

I think I'm beating a dead horse (no pun intended) so I'll stop now.

• Upvote 2

We actually do have Google Analytics and looking at them, reddit.com is by far the #1 referral we have. I know during last PvE launch we had a post at the top of r/minecraft which I know brought in a LOT of people. PvE was capped at 250 and still more were waiting in the lobby.

zsAxrOZ.png

• Upvote 3

We actually do have Google Analytics and looking at them, reddit.com is by far the #1 referral we have. I know during last PvE launch we had a post at the top of r/minecraft which I know brought in a LOT of people. PvE was capped at 250 and still more were waiting in the lobby.

Getting rid of the affiliation to reddit wouldn't affect our posts on /r/minecraft, would it? I thought we were debating whether the little link in the sidebar there actually brought in any players and whether being related to reddit was harming our reputation.

• Upvote 2

zsAxrOZ.png

Is there any way to subdivide reddit.com?  I think a lot of that might be current players clicking through posts on /r/mcpublic, not actual new traffic.

• Upvote 4

Who cares if on the launch of PVE we had 250 people waiting in the lobby. The servers are in trouble and we are not keeping the people. HAving 250 people and putting us over capacity so everyone thinks we have shitty infra and don't come back isn't a benefit.

I really don't want to see this get chalked up to another thing we drop the ball on and don't do anything to change.

• Upvote 2

Getting rid of the affiliation to reddit wouldn't affect our posts on /r/minecraft, would it? I thought we were debating whether the little link in the sidebar there actually brought in any players and whether being related to reddit was harming our reputation.

Unfortunately we can't know for sure how many people are clicking the link unless we ask them to change it to a link we can track (I'll contact AlLnAtuRalX about just that). But imo if it brings in any players it is a benefit.

I originally discovered this server through the link on /r/minecraft. Without having that link and subtle free advertising we will just be another server...

I do however agree we need a unified identity.

I also discovered us through r/minecraft and I also think we should have a unified name, my opinion is for "Nerd.nu" globally with anything related to minecraft having a subtitle of something like "r/mcpublic - reddit public minecraft".

Is there any way to subdivide reddit.com?  I think a lot of that might be current players clicking through posts on /r/mcpublic, not actual new traffic.

Most of the redirect traffic comes from posts in r/mcpublic, however the link in r/minecraft is to r/mcpublic and there is no way to track that.

Who cares if on the launch of PVE we had 250 people waiting in the lobby. The servers are in trouble and we are not keeping the people. HAving 250 people and putting us over capacity so everyone thinks we have shitty infra and don't come back isn't a benefit.

I really don't want to see this get chalked up to another thing we drop the ball on and don't do anything to change.

I don't think player dropoff has anything to do with that. For the last few revs(minus the DDoS fiasco) PvE revision starts seem relatively stable with only minor lag, which is to be expected with such a high pop. If anything the techs have been doing a damn good job keeping things running smoothly in recent times. Not many servers(and I'd say 0 free/non p2w) have so many people on a map as big as ours, running as many plugins as we do.

It mostly has to do with vanilla survival mode minecraft being shitty for longterm goals, while having an incredibly fun short term game. As someone who's played for years it barely takes me any time at all to reach endgame and kill the dragon, as many can attest to. Once that's done and initial infrastructure is set up serverwide a lot of people have little reason to play. Though many players will also stick around to develop towns.

Player retention from gameplay itself would be better in a different thread imo, since it's kinda off-topic and would require an in depth look.

• Upvote 2

Fair enough, this thread strayed far from the point that its sad and pathetic pretending to be the official servers for something that is lame and not actually affiliated in any way while wasting a star domain name "nerd.nu" and not having any real focus or plan on advertising, branding and growth besides people complaining on these forums.

This thread might not serve any purpose as it is clear a large percentage of people agree with me but because someone one time clicked a link once years ago we are going to generate endless amounts of text and not change anything.

NERD.NU MINECRAFT PUBLIC SERVERS still hits all the marks, domain name to connect MINECRAFT and PUBLIC (MCPUBLIC) in a row. Reddit not needed.

Look we can go back and forth forever about this but the fact is that our community is dying and if we want to hang on to being the fake official reddit server and come up with no plans on growth well I'm not going to kick in cash this time to keep this going because its a waste. I was talking with AllnaturalX about this this week and he agrees with me too by the way.

If we want to be reddit servers maybe we should be asking for funding from AdvPub. Otherwise we need to build the Nerd.nu community independently.

Edited by cdmrtbeok
  • Upvote 4

That name is far too long Tebok, and some of your assertions don't stand up so well. What's Advpub?

edit: I'm hearing, not sure to believe it, that there's confusion over whether the claim is "Official reddit inc servers" or "Official /r/minecraft servers". It's obvious we're the second.

Edited by tobylane

AdvPub = Advance Publications is the parent company of Reddit.

The second part of that name is the subtitle.

My assertions stand up fine. Saying they don't and having nothing to contribute is not helpful. You have no ideas that I have seen other than making people mad in IRC and always arguing.

Edit: By the way my name is shorter than NERD.NU REDDITPUBLIC MCPUBLIC UNOFFICIAL REDDIT MINECRAFT SERVERS

Edited by cdmrtbeok
  • Upvote 2

Nerd.nu Gaming Community

For the MC servers, call it Minecraft (or just MC) Public at Nerd.nu, MCP-Nerd for short.

It also applies to other games. LoL-Nerd, CS:GO-Nerd, Dota-Nerd, Rust-Nerd.

It's really not that hard..

Also, we don't have to cut all our ties from Reddit, the subreddit can still mention something like "Founded on Reddit!" or "Minecraft's oldest server!" something like that. Just get rid of it from our actual brand name.

That means no more Reddit Public on the forums or on the actual Nerd.nu website (that always struck me as odd), getting rid of the redditpublic.com wiki and making it nerd.nu/wiki or something, changing the IRC client so that it's no longer RedditMC.

And if we really want to move forward with making Nerd.nu a gaming community we should start using the actual nerdnu subreddit, which if I remember correctly, Deaygo is top mod of. That is a perfect place to start our expansion.

• Upvote 3

I've spoken to several other admins about rebranding to "Nerd.nu" but no decision has been made.

I will make it a point to add it to the admin meeting agenda for this month to bring up, discuss, and come to a decision about dropping the reddit affiliation.

I replied to this topic last week and said it would get discussed and a decision made at the admin meeting (which is next week).

This is not being ignored, its not going away, and you will have a decision.

There is really no reason to get worked up about this until after that meeting and decision.

• Upvote 6

Do we actually have a logo that is completely un associated with reddit? The main one I see is the SnooCreeper everywhere.

You bring up a good point, perhaps it is about time we look into making a different logo, even if we don't change names, the SnooCreeper is pretty old and I'm sure we can make something better.

• 2 weeks later...

This is also the only server I know of that provides a "Classic" feeling minecraft experience, without being solely focused on minigames like every other server nowadays. All the other servers I knew of back in 2011 are all gone now so that leaves MCPublic Nerd.Nu as the only one providing a true Survival, Creative and additionally PvE experience

Edited by coolgamerovr90