Redstone Area Discussion

totemo

I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my remarks in-game, that C should have a redstone area - an actual quartz or sandstone flatland where people can easily undertake their redstone projects - without having to clear trees and flatten the ground first.  I would also like to see redstone-only contraptions moved to this area, so that the appearance of aesthetic builds is not marred by them.

• Upvote 7

I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my remarks in-game, that C should have a redstone area - an actual quartz or sandstone flatland where people can easily undertake their redstone projects - without having to clear trees and flatten the ground first.  I would also like to see redstone-only contraptions moved to this area, so that the appearance of aesthetic builds is not marred by them.

I think this is a fantastic idea! having part of this area set up with redstone tutorials would be really helpful for some people!

• Upvote 1

I recommend the Redstone area be subdivided into 4 categories of device:

1. Basic Circuit Logic
  2. Doors (sorted by size and orientation)
  3. Displays
  4. Misc. (Combination locks, Autofarmers, hidden walkways, minecart switching, etc.)

I used to know of an entire server devoted to this, which has since shut down. It was very helpful. These categories were also organized in order of increasing complexity, so the logic area would start with inverters and signal transmitters, and finish with counters and calculators. If this gets under way, I would like an admin's help pulling the design of the Doors at the center of Laputa which were the most reliable 4x4 doors I've ever encountered. (Most 3x3 or larger doors can be destroyed by sending a rapidly repeating signal, these could not)

1. Basic Circuit Logic
  3. Displays
  4. Misc. (Combination locks, Autofarmers, hidden walkways, minecart switching, etc.)

I used to know of an entire server devoted to this, which has since shut down. It was very helpful. These categories were also organized in order of increasing complexity, so the logic area would start with inverters and signal transmitters, and finish with counters and calculators. If this gets under way, I would like an admin's help pulling the design of the Doors at the center of Laputa which were the most reliable 4x4 doors I've ever encountered. (Most 3x3 or larger doors can be destroyed by sending a rapidly repeating signal, these could not)

Because of the heavy use of rails, especially for pve, I would suggest having a seperate section for the various rail station designs possible along with the cart dispenser systems and the way rails interact with eachother and redstone.

Specifically about the 4x4 doors, i have a design that works well on 1.5.2 that i have built on C in the pico planning area. It is possible to use a mod called schematica that allows the user to see the outline of what they are building as a guide when placing the blocks. This is a great mod for complex redstone but requires forge plugin.

Edited by tc_chris

Because of the heavy use of rails, especially for pve, I would suggest having a seperate section for the various rail station designs possible along with the cart dispenser systems and the way rails interact with eachother and redstone.

Good idea.

Specifically about the 4x4 doors, i have a design that works well on 1.5.2 that i have built on C in the pico planning area. It is possible to use a mod called schematica that allows the user to see the outline of what they are building as a guide when placing the blocks. This is a great mod for complex redstone but requires forge plugin.

I'm going to have to come see that, my design was from 1.4.X and I'm not confident it works perfectly anymore. Ummm, where is Pico planning roughly?

Just wondering how land will be split. What if you need to expand your contraption? Moving redstone can be a pain, especially if there are a lot of underground parts. Also, what happens if you want to integrate the redstone build into a larger build? Will the entire thing get moved out of the redstone area?

Okay, I'll chime in with my 2 cents.  I actually really like this idea.  My only concern is the possibility of crippling lag that might be created by so many redstone devices located in a confined area.  I believe that we could try it and see how it goes, just hopefully everyone will understand if the area has to be disassembled and it's pieces moved to other parts of the server or removed all together for the sake of gameplay on the server.

Note: I'm not the only Creative Administrator so just because I'm okaying it, doesn't mean it will happen.

Just wondering how land will be split. What if you need to expand your contraption? Moving redstone can be a pain, especially if there are a lot of underground parts. Also, what happens if you want to integrate the redstone build into a larger build? Will the entire thing get moved out of the redstone area?

If you build in this area, I'm going to hope that every one will build above ground so that people will have an understanding how your contraption works.  If that guideline is followed, modreq it and an admin should be able to move it easily with world edit, so long as everything is visible.

I would very much agree with a redstone biome of sorts. 

1. Basic Circuit Logic
  3. Displays

I think trying to segregate redstone devices and forcing more subcategories will just come out annoying for redstoners. I have my own little redstone area on C(coincidentally by the garden contest area), where I build whatever I want in one place for quick access. Having to teleport/fly all over to specialized sections just to prototype something will come off more as a nuisance, and those areas will quickly become crowded with designs made by tons of other people with similar concepts. 

I'd like to suggest a section where finalized designs can be world-edited in for others to see, where signs can be set up showing who made it and what it does. This area would be protected from grief entirely. 

• Upvote 1

I would very much agree with a redstone biome of sorts. 

I think trying to segregate redstone devices and forcing more subcategories will just come out annoying for redstoners. I have my own little redstone area on C(coincidentally by the garden contest area), where I build whatever I want in one place for quick access. Having to teleport/fly all over to specialized sections just to prototype something will come off more as a nuisance, and those areas will quickly become crowded with designs made by tons of other people with similar concepts. 

I'd like to suggest a section where finalized designs can be world-edited in for others to see, where signs can be set up showing who made it and what it does. This area would be protected from grief entirely. 

I thought that this area would be more for beginners how are learning red-stone  the "play area" would be located so they could try out the designs within the area of the tutorial/model red-stone but most of the area would be the final designs along with some descriptions of the individual components within it. or at least that is what i was suggesting on reddit and thought it matched up with this?

The 4x4 piston door build is on c.nerd.nu at -515 (70) 605 though i warn you this is a design area and looks pretty damn ugly!

Edited by tc_chris

I said this on the subreddit but I think it bears repeating especially if something can be for about it. A lot of the red stone devices I'd like to prototype and build depend on item drops and growth; both of which are disabled on the creative server. In potatoville on survival we have a massive potato operation and a new machine which harvests, sorts out the poison potatos, pipes them to the auto baker which is also hooked to a self starting charcoal maker and then drops potatoes to the main floor. This would be hard to demonstrate on c unfortunately

cmdrtebok is right. I'm not even clear on the reason why item drops are disabled. Clarification or consider changing?

TheRandomnatrix, you're right, prototyping doesn't fit very well into my "Redstone Tutorial" area. I do however believe there needs to be an area where people can easily prototype things that aren't yet pretty. I suggest that the Redstone area actually be a 400x400 skyscraper, with each "floor" used for a different purpose and 75m in height. Redstone by itself isn't intended pretty, and there's no reason to take up limited land area.

Alternatively we could have 4 100x100 area skyscrapers, 1 for each category, that expand up a floor every so often as the floor below gets filled up. I dub this idea "The Redstone Quad". Prototyping would go into the "Misc" tower.

I really see this area as a new tool for players on all servers to make use of as a reference, hence the importance of having some organization to it.

If mods were allowed to remove blocks with WE for such community structures like this I'd place this entire thing underground like UnderTown (but without needing slave labor to mine).

cmdrtebok is right. I'm not even clear on the reason why item drops are disabled. Clarification or consider changing?

I think it was disabled due to the fact you can spam drops and cause lag (e.g. you can /i an inventory full of 64 stack of some item, then Ctrl-Q each stack in the air. Then whoever happens to walk under would see hundreds of drops, causing client lag).

Drops are disabled due to the ability to lag the server and I believe that there are also exploits that will cripple the server when certain items are dropped in mass quantities.  Drops will probably not be reinabled on C.  However, I am going to talk to the techs about possibly re enabling natural growth on C.  

If this is set up, then we should probably post some very clear rule signs (at the /warp location if there's a warp, or at least somewhere conspicuous) about any redstone loops needing an easily accessible toggle.  The signs at spawn only touch on the subject lightly, and I sometimes find that when I try to explain this concept to inexperienced redstonists, I'm met with confusion as to how/why this is done.  We should also be clear that lag machines, defined as devices with little/no other purpose than to make noise and/or excessive updates, are not allowed.

• Upvote 2