Server Tech Admins

Magnyus

In light of the recent events, mostly regarding the position TheAcademician has decided to take. It got me thinking, especially since people have been longing for a change, why don't we implement Server Tech Admins?

It's clear that players would like their server admins to spend a little more time in-game, and being a more solid part of the community, but when it comes down to it, things need to get done. While the server admins are busy resolving player disputes and organising events, talking with players, etc, the server techs can be busy working on new plugins or fixing bugs, whatever it is techs do when it comes to doing things for a specific server.

Doing so would make it easier for each server to run on it's own, because it would let those in charge focus on what needs to be done that way the Nerd tech admins can work on bigger things that apply to all the servers, for example, Nerd techs can work on optimising the newest version of KitchenSink, meanwhile the Creative techs work on the latest version of WorldEdit.

One of the things that we recently discussed was the desire for more active admins, and I believe that this would definitely help that problem. The players that do dedicate a lot of their time to moderating and being a part of the server can be the server admins meanwhile working in tandem with the ones in the background that want to help out by giving us more fun things to work with.

Of course doing so would be a big undertaking and not one that would happen overnight, but I am certain that implementing it would help nerd take a step in the right direction.

-Magnyus

• Upvote 3

Mildly disagree, would follow any strong feelings by tech admins.

I agree with the reasoning, but I don't think it applies in any great quantity. I think what may work better is that each tech admin does whatever they feel interested in, capable of, or whatever else motivates them. That's a loose, informal version of your suggestion, as it doesn't pin a person to a server but they will generally solve the same problems either way.

• Upvote 1

Isn't this exactly the same thing that the techs do anyway? I don't see much point in differentiating each tech for a couple of reasons; firstly that'd require us getting even more techs and we're very hesitant about that now, secondly I think techs would end up being a server tech for each server anyway. I don't see the benefit on changing the tech's name to fit a specific server if they're going to continue doing the same work.

• Upvote 2

Isn't this exactly the same thing that the techs do anyway? I don't see much point in differentiating each tech for a couple of reasons; firstly that'd require us getting even more techs and we're very hesitant about that now, secondly I think techs would end up being a server tech for each server anyway. I don't see the benefit on changing the tech's name to fit a specific server if they're going to continue doing the same work.

This is the reason it was decided against the last few times it's been proposed, and I agree with the logic here.

If we did this, the current Techs would basically be useless and wouldn't really have anything to do other than setting up events which they, for the most part, do just fine as-is. On-top of that there isn't quite enough work to require 3 extra teams of Techs, at least not now. Realistically, adding more Techs is all we'd really need to do, should the need arise in the first place. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

It could go a long way to stopping the burnout a lot of tech experience. However I know even if this was implemented there is no way the 'survival tech' wouldnt be expected to fix an issue with the pve server if the 'pve tech' is not there at that time.

Good in theory, but I believe impossible to actually do  ( unless the different servers were actually on different servers )

• Upvote 3