[PMC] Moderation Feature Request: Automatic unmute upon ban

XkinOEC

Essentially as the title says, Unmute upon banning. I come to c.nerd.nu frequently and check the muted player list, it's through the roof. i've cut it down myself by a lot however I found a trend that I feel can be a simple fix.

Many of the players on the list are also banned players.

If they are banned, they cannot join the server, until they've appealed their ban.

So, as a result of banning, there is no reason for banned players to remain muted. 

This also avoids the issue of a formerly banned player coming back to nerd.nu and continuing to be punished by our muted list. 

I spoke about this before, but I am not sure with whom or where so I apologize if this is completely an echo of something I previously said. But seriously this will solve much of the excessive mute list related issues. 

• Upvote 2

I'm thinking that, probably, the only way to combat this is to possibly just unmute someone as soon as they are banned.  There's no reason to keep them muted after they are banned since they won't be on the server anyways.  I am actually unsure how many people on the list are actually banned?  I would venture a guess that most of the people on the list might have gotten muted during their one and only time on the server, left because they got mad, and the staff person didn't think about unmuting them. 

However,  if they are currently muted at the time of their ban, then staff should just unmute them directly after they get banned.  The only issue with unmuting them at the time of their unbanning is that (and I don't know this for a fact but I'm going to guess it's a fairly large number) a lot of staff members unban a person from IRC and not in game, so they won't have a way to unmute someone at the time of the unbanning.

I'm thinking that, probably, the only way to combat this is to possibly just unmute someone as soon as they are banned.

As I suggested this 'feature' be added to combat these issues. 

There's no reason to keep them muted after they are banned since they won't be on the server anyways. 

Yes, I said that.

The only issue with unmuting them at the time of their unbanning is that (and I don't know this for a fact but I'm going to guess it's a fairly large number) a lot of staff members unban a person from IRC and not in game, so they won't have a way to unmute someone at the time of the unbanning.

which is why I said this would be done when the player is banned. Let us not forget that some players never appeal their bans, which would completely prevent the ability to have a clean and empty list anyways if we were to do it at the unban time. 

However,  if they are currently muted at the time of their ban, then staff should just unmute them directly after they get banned. 

Yes, but they don't, and they continue to not do so. I've purged the list present on C more than a few times with various sort algorithms each time. I can tell you that since my last purge, there are approximately 3 more names added who are both banned and muted.

Based on your response, I must not have made it clear just what I am asking, i'll state it exactly as it should work.

when a player becomes banned. "/ban username reasonreasonreason"

the server will automatically go to all 3 servers and say "/unmute username"

if user was muted on one or multiple servers, they will be unmuted and removed from the ongoing list.

so essentially we're modifying the /ban command to include /unmute on all 3 servers as a part of its several tasks.

• 3 months later...