[PMC] Getting rid of troll youtube site for applyformod page?

tactical_spork

To be honest here, we all know who we're going to recommend, do we generally look to the applyformod page list regardless? To match our suit for professionalism among staff and the community, i agree, remove it. however considering a majority of the people who are sent to the page are simply trolls/griefers who join the server all of once and ask for mod... I've never found it to be helpful.

Now that we have the mod suggestions section of the forum as well, we don't have to worry about potentially forgetting someone as we can post a suggestion any time we see fit rather than when voting comes up.

I agree that youtube link shouldn't be there. It makes people very confused and sure that their suggestion didn't go forward.

Someone said in some other post that there should be a field for people to write up reasons why they're suggesting someone for mod position. I think that would be a great idea and give the suggested names more basis for consideration.

To be honest here, we all know who we're going to recommend, do we generally look to the applyformod page list regardless? To match our suit for professionalism among staff and the community, i agree, remove it. however considering a majority of the people who are sent to the page are simply trolls/griefers who join the server all of once and ask for mod... I've never found it to be helpful.

Now that we have the mod suggestions section of the forum as well, we don't have to worry about potentially forgetting someone as we can post a suggestion any time we see fit rather than when voting comes up.

Then stop letting people send trolls and griefers to the page, since it's no longer a troll link. That was changed ages ago and I don't see how it's worded in a way now that could be misconstrued as such. I guess the youtube link could be removed but I don't consider it a big issue. Just encourage people to use it for its intended purpose.

I like the idea of adding a field for reasons though. It would definitely help.

I'd be in favour of just removing the page alltogether. I don't think anyone has ever been modded because their name was submitted to this page; it's only because someone on staff wants to suggest them, and if that's the case, then they're probably going to be suggested anyway.

If it's going to be kept then I as well like the idea of adding another field for a reason. We could make it clear that supplying a good reason is required for the player being taken into consideration.

• Upvote 2

Then stop letting people send trolls and griefers to the page, since it's no longer a troll link. 

I never said I do let people send trolls and griefers to the page, I'm just well aware it happens.

That was changed ages ago and I don't see how it's worded in a way now that could be misconstrued as such. 

Perhaps because the wording of the page hasn't changed at all since its single visual update to make it even more trolly than before when it just said NO. Since then it has always had serious wording, only to leave players feeling like a letdown as it forwarded to a few different youtube videos looping. The Trololol song, rickroll, He-man, MLP music remixs, nyancat, and most recently sweetbrown.  I forgot which video it was, but at one point we had text appear over the video saying something like 'you've been trolled by MCPublic, we look very carefully at all of the names and players on the server, if you actually feel someone has been overlooked, please inform a member of staff in game or on IRC'.

I guess the youtube link could be removed but I don't consider it a big issue. 

that IS the big issue, the stupid troll'y video that plays after you've submitted a name has engraved in players heads the idea that the page is fake and the name goes nowhere.

I think the page needs to be reworked entirely. (Obviously the troll vid should have been removed the last time this came up. That goes without saying.)

1. Let's ditch the "apply for mod" URL and title and make it "recommend someone for mod."
  2. Have some nice copy explaining what the page is for. Something along the lines of "Do you know of an exemplary player who could be a good fit for a moderator position? Recommend them here."
  3. Don't just have a name field. Require the name of the player being recommended, the name of the recommending player (this could be auto-filled via forum account perhaps, to minimize troll responses), a few questions about the character of the recommended player, and a text box to write a brief note explaining why they're being recommended.
  • Upvote 2

I think the page needs to be reworked entirely. (Obviously the troll vid should have been removed the last time this came up. That goes without saying.)

1. Let's ditch the "apply for mod" URL and title and make it "recommend someone for mod."
  2. Have some nice copy explaining what the page is for. Something along the lines of "Do you know of an exemplary player who could be a good fit for a moderator position? Recommend them here."
  3. Don't just have a name field. Require the name of the player being recommended, the name of the recommending player (this could be auto-filled via forum account perhaps, to minimize troll responses), a few questions about the character of the recommended player, and a text box to write a brief note explaining why they're being recommended.

To go one step further, I think it should be attached to the forums. If it isn't then anyone can enter any name with no means of verification. I could put my name as redwall_hp, for example, and then recommend a load of random players for mod and immediately it would seem as if they were genuine recommendations. Having it attached to the forums would mean you'd have to use your forum account so we can easily filter out some of the unnecessary spam. Other than that you idea seems great to me.

I like the general format of the applyformod page as it currently stands.  The anonymity is not a disincentive to recommend players who may be controversial, and generally in a brainstorming session I'd prefer having an influx of names and then throwing out names that don't qualify, rather than restrict the number of names that come in and risk missing names that are good.  Perhaps the forum verification can be put in place only to make sure someone who is registered can submit names, and then have that information (of who submitted the name) hidden from the final list of submitted names that are shown in the mod nominations thread.

Given that we are no longer directing trolls to the page as was done when the page was first created, I think the similarly troll YouTube site should either be removed, or replaced with something that is more worth a user's time submitting a name (as stated on the page currently).

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...