New Steam Group

d3north

All of the old players are in the old group and we wouldn't be able to get all of them to transfer over. If we can't change the name, I'd rather just stick with the old group. I'm not sure if this stuff was considered when we changed the name, but it seems a bit odd that our steam group keeps the old name, the subreddit keeps the old name, are we really changing that much at all? I'm also not sure how we're managing the owner's/admins of these new groups and such, but I think it'd be best to keep it to the current staff to avoid disputes and arguments.

• Upvote 2

We rename what we can rename, we redirect what we can redirect. Please could you add some replace yourself with Nerd staff to your group to give it legitimacy.

Bit rude to ask someone to immediately step away from something they started, friend. 

• Upvote 4

OK so the group has links to Subreddit, Forums, mumble, website, Server IP, and a short statement of motive.

Next on the list is getting people moved over and getting staff who actually do stuff in the steam community into group mod and officer positions.

anything else I should add?

(remaining is proper recognition of group and a picture that doesnt have a snoo-related item in it)

Edited by d3north
  • Upvote 2

We can no longer have the now-official one stay that way, as names for groups cannot be changed, and it is still Reddit Minecraft.

Wow, seriously?  I for one will not endorse a group that isn't run by the staff of nerd.nu.  To me it seems like you are trying to undermine the staff here.

Wouldn't it be more logical to just change the name of the existing group if it came down to it? I'm not really convinced the steam group needs to have it's name changed, since the subreddit is still /r/MCPublic, and the IRC channel is still #redditmc after-all.

I'm sure if you guys asked d3north nicely to change the name of his group so the "official" group could be renamed to nerdnugaming, that would more than likely be feasible, and would minimize the drama.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be more logical to just change the name of the existing group if it came down to it? I'm not really convinced the steam group needs to have it's name changed, since the subreddit is still /r/MCPublic, and the IRC channel is still #redditmc after-all.

I'm sure if you guys asked d3north nicely to change the name of his group so the "official" group could be renamed to nerdnugaming, that would more than likely be feasible, and would minimize the drama.

We can't change the name of the steam group, you are required to create a new group if you wish to have a different name.  You can change the short url, but not the name of the group itself.

Wow, seriously?  I for one will not endorse a group that isn't run by the staff of nerd.nu.  To me it seems like you are trying to undermine the staff here.

editing out this response, longer response below 

Edited by d3north

There's a reason that I made the RedditMC gaming group, it was that the official group was just a sitting ground for people to find other nerd players, you had people who hadnt logged on in years as staff. How can a group be active when the staff themselves arent? The reason I make groups like this is because I want expansion outside of minecraft, im trying to get interest in other games, but with the stifling of groups as youve said, calling it undermining when really its just being on the ball with the recent name changes. As I've said and as you can see, I will happily hand over the group once it gets going, with a few more people and some events etc, but making a new group and copying mine is not the way to go. I hold the nerd.nu clantag, and if it is wasted then I will be saddened by the admins pigheadedness for not taking suggestions and contributions from players as myself. Im not doing this for personal gain, Im doing this so a group is not wasted and atrophies at the wayside.

You've said that expansion outside of MC is necessary, here is a chance to prove it. Take community contributions, just because you cant have something the way you demand it doesnt mean ruin it for all.

• Upvote 7

To be honest, I'm rather sickened by the outlook of certain players that anyone who isn't staff has to act like a helpless child. It's a common thing I've seen on these forums since returning. I don't understand it, because all it does is stifle potential progress and cause tension, needlessly giving people who already have problems with the staff more fuel.

d3 is trying to help with a rather large transition of the network, and specifically stated that he would add any Nerd.nu staff who requested addition as soon as reasonably possible. He literally offered to do all of the work and then let you take over. No offense, I know that everyone has a busy schedule, but if you can't jump on one particular issue immediately and another player can, and said player is doing it well so far, there's no reason to complain about extra help. Get added to the group, change what you want, fairly simple.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 3

1) Group should be owned by deaygo and heads

2) staff who plan on being active and doing stuff there should be added to staff

3) if there is still little activity, we look at options (swiftly) to change that, i.e. adding more steam-based staff to run the events

It is very simple and there is no reason to over-complicate it. Whether we should be making everyone move over from the original steam group to a new one for little to no reason seems odd, but that's what has been decided.

• Upvote 2

Hahaha. Sorry, but this whole thing is laughable. You say "why don't you just use what exists and go with it" and yet, instead of going and saying, hey... let's try and improve the existing steam group, let's create a new one... that'll show 'em. Instead you could have tried garnering interest in the group that already existed.

calling it undermining when really its just being on the ball with the recent name changes.

What would have made more sense would have been a "hey, was there any plans on changing the group on Steam? You can't change the name so a new group would have to be created if you wanted to change the name. If staff aren't going to do this would you mind if I took lead on it?"

As I've said and as you can see, I will happily hand over the group once it gets going, with a few more people and some events etc

I hold the nerd.nu clantag, and if it is wasted then I will be saddened by the admins pigheadedness

This here to me sounds like a hostage thing. "Once I have received blah, then I will hand it over."

You've said that expansion outside of MC is necessary, here is a chance to prove it. Take community contributions, just because you cant have something the way you demand it doesnt mean ruin it for all.

Right at the bottom of the announcement of saying that we are changing names, it was said "hey, we would like community contributions for a new logo". And yes, I have said that we should expand beyond MC and I also asked the community what other games they would like to see us run.

• Upvote 4

1) Group should be owned by deaygo and heads

2) staff who plan on being active and doing stuff there should be added to staff

3) if there is still little activity, we look at options (swiftly) to change that, i.e. adding more steam-based staff to run the events

It is very simple and there is no reason to over-complicate it. Whether we should be making everyone move over from the original steam group to a new one for little to no reason seems odd, but that's what has been decided.

Ill give them the group, happily.

There's always a difference between those who plan on activity and those who do.

Gotta watch out for the too many cooks scenario, too many staff with few events is bad

• Upvote 3

Hahaha. Sorry, but this whole thing is laughable. You say "why don't you just use what exists and go with it" and yet, instead of going and saying, hey... let's try and improve the existing steam group, let's create a new one... that'll show 'em. Instead you could have tried garnering interest in the group that already existed.

What would have made more sense would have been a "hey, was there any plans on changing the group on Steam? You can't change the name so a new group would have to be created if you wanted to change the name. If staff aren't going to do this would you mind if I took lead on it?"

This here to me sounds like a hostage thing. "Once I have received blah, then I will hand it over."

Right at the bottom of the announcement of saying that we are changing names, it was said "hey, we would like community contributions for a new logo". And yes, I have said that we should expand beyond MC and I also asked the community what other games they would like to see us run.

First two points: Ive tried. I tried talking to admins and general staff, but the only thing that happened were four no-interest events over the course of three months, and a small shuffling of staff on the group.

Hostage thing? I get the ball rolling then give you the ball. Whether you bring the ball to a stop as youve done before is your choice.

Expanding beyond MC needs a place to start and having a group exist with no activity make a poor place to start.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to mention that he said much earlier on that full management was to be transfered to the staff when that was possible. TH was added already, but I'm pretty sure you actually have to join the group before addition is possible.
Mountains out of molehills, seriously.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 3

Ill give them the group, happily.

There's always a difference between those who plan on activity and those who do.

Gotta watch out for the too many cooks scenario, too many staff with few events is bad

If you will give them the group, why couldn't they just make the group and avoid all of this drama?

Most definitely, and when they are inactive they get removed, as happens on the servers here.

Not really, I don't see how that's a relevant analogy.

Hostage thing? I get the ball rolling then give you the ball. Whether you bring the ball to a stop as youve done before is your choice.

Expanding beyond MC needs a place to start and having a group exist with no activity make a poor place to start.

Fault is with both sides here. If they had been totally accepting and just gone along with it there would have been little drama. If you hadn't been involved at all and Deaygo created the group there would be little drama. What has happened has happened, the fix is very simple.

• Upvote 1

No, d3north is doing something I'd like to call "quality assurance". He isn't about to hand over the new group to the admins if he has a reason to believe it'll flop like the other official group - which, to clarify; it did.

(You can argue with me about that, if you want, I'm happy to discuss it.)

Being informed on exactly what is happening with the Steam group(s) is something that the players need in order to know whether said Steam group(s) are just going to fall flat on their face - we have more reason to believe that nothing will happen with the new groups, because in all honesty nothing in particular with the other Steam groups.

"Eehee we've had a few TTT events that've stretched on for quite a while, and we've even added a whole bunch of new staff."

Adding new staff doesn't get much done - we've seen this happen with the SAdmin crisis of Survival and it's happening to a lesser degree with the 'official' Steam group. 

I deeply appreciate that there was a poll asking about what games we should play, and I believe there are still a couple of ongoing threads discussing that - but that doesn't give us any solid reason to believe something will be put into action with the group d3north created. 

We've waited a pretty damn long time to see something get done, and whilst we know something is getting done, I personally disagree with the idea that d3north should hand over the new group as soon as he's asked. 

Besides, there's no drama needed for this particular topic anyway. Most of the people on the current official Steam group probably don't care to migrate to a new group - realistically URL's on our other services leading to the current 'official' Steam group coupled with perhaps a short explanation of the innacurate name in the description could fix this entire debacle we're having. 

• Upvote 2