New Logo Design Contest

schererererer

With the change of name to "Nerd.nu Gaming Community", we need a new logo to match. Please submit your logo designs for the forums and the subreddit in this thread.

Logos should:

-Include the name "nerd.nu" with an optional subtitle of "Gaming Community"
-Have a horizontally oriented aspect ratio
-Vector format logos are preferred but not required
-Be readable from a height of 70 pixels (the height of the current forum logo), up to any size required
-If using vector format, outline all fonts (so that fonts are not missing upon opening vector files)

Suggested Variants: forums header, subreddit header (may include a snoo variant as is custom for miscellaneous subreddits), steam/twitter/etc (square logo)

To submit, please post a preview image here and link to vector versions, or post preview here and email vector versions to admins@nerd.nu

The contest will run until March 1, 2015. There is no limit on submissions, just don't spam them.

• Upvote 8

A few quick questions:

Is there a deadline for this contest? What is the maximum number of submissions per person? Is there any sort of style that would be more favorable than others? (color scheme, font, etc.) Do the admins have a particular direction/theme in mind outside of a general gaming theme? I just want to narrow things down a bit, makes working on this stuff easier.

Not sure what we're going for, so I made it simple and tried to keep the style/proportions similar to the current logo.

Head:

Logo_zpsmcoxtlyv.png

A more 'quirky' version:

Logo%20-%20quirky_zps7ify9ot4.png

Server quad:

Logo%20-%20Server%20Quad_zpsgweuz0za.png

NU:

Logo%20-%20NU_zps1r0da44l.png

Slanted:

Logo%20-%20Slanted_zpsnwqrpuha.png

Blocky (with forum backdrop version for visibility):

Logo%20-%20Blocky_zpsadojcbd3.pngLogo%20-%20Blocky%20Forum%20Backdrop_zps

Here's the PSD:

[Mega]

Also, transparency. I'm hoping that whichever of our logos wins will be able to be used across the multitude of network sites. Remember to make it transparant.

Good luck to everyone who makes a submission!

(Because this actually came up in discussion: feel free to reuse the text if you just want to make a logo. It took almost no effort to format that.)

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 4

Quick rework of what I had suggested this summer (https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/2207-redesigning-the-mcpublic-twitter-account/?p=16233), which was to use the black and white pixel font AnSq_ had used to make the server icons.

Here's what I had proposed then :
4x9TcJ1.png
New version :
OgmzqNa.png
- The "nerd.nu" is now basically the same thing as in the server icons but scaled up and with a minor tweak to the "d".
- Legibility is improved on a dark background.
- Picked a better font for the subtitle.

XVRCPfI.png

If you want to play around with that, here's the file :
(Illustrator CS6) https://www.dropbox.com/s/caqpupaaa9asd5e/nerd_nu.ai?dl=0

• Upvote 5

So after some time of sitting back from it, I came up with an even more neutral logo based on the current(ish) quad of servers. I know we're planning expansion, but something like that still represents the origin, I think.

Server quad:

Logo%20-%20Server%20Quad_zpsgweuz0za.png

I also updated the PSD with an optional backdrop of the forum's logo bar for previewing convenience. This uses the same PSD as the previous submission. The new PSD and this submission will be added to my initial post in the 3rd slot of this topic momentarily.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Upvote 2

A few quick questions:

Is there a deadline for this contest? What is the maximum number of submissions per person? Is there any sort of style that would be more favorable than others? (color scheme, font, etc.) Do the admins have a particular direction/theme in mind outside of a general gaming theme? I just want to narrow things down a bit, makes working on this stuff easier.

Edited original post to include deadline (March 1) and max number of submissions (unlimited). No style/theme are specifically favored, although my personal tastes lean very heavily toward clean, minimalist design.

• Upvote 3

Youve got the Orangered and Periwinkle in ultrahub's, the antenna in Avada's, and snoo makes an appearance in marting's

martings screenshot is showing how it would look when used on the subreddit, it's going to have snoo in it.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 2

Youve got the Orangered and Periwinkle in ultrahub's, the antenna in Avada's, and snoo makes an appearance in marting's

I like my antenna, it sorta shows where we started without directly associating us with reddit. I don't think avada submitted anything, that was a quote from my post.

• Upvote 2