[PMC] Name Changes: A Need for Some Minor Rule Revision

Aypop

The rules should be extended to include impersonation of another player (or if that is too harsh, unwanted impersonation of another player).  Being able to occupy the same identity as someone else leaves that identity open to tarnishing by forces outside the original's control, which can be socially damaging and allows social engineers another avenue of harassment.  This is as insidious as impersonation of staff, if not more.

• Upvote 6

I think this is hard, because we've always had some form of this. Obviously the Jauris example is really is highly disgraceful and awful. But we've also seen other accounts such as rscrub who were mainly just doing it as laugh for both players (at least as far as I'm aware it doesn't bother rcub). Are we looking for a policy to stop all names like this or are we looking for players that are taking it too far? 

• Upvote 1

I talked with Aypop and I came up with two rules that should cover all cases.

1. The user consents that the derivative username does not offend them.
  2. The user does not attempt to deceive staff in that manner.

If we encounter users that rename themselves to people that are dead on staff we think that they should be banned with the reason that they have an inappropriate username.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...