Redstone logic issues on PvE?

POV

Hi MCPublic folks,  I've done a few searches to see if this has shown up, but couldn't find anything, but then again, I'm a first time poster, so uh, be gentle!

I've been working on an item sorter based off of this video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjWYCDYJ4s .   The sorter appears to work on the Creative server (1.7.x) and also appears to work in stock 1.8 standalone servers.

When the sorter is built on PvE it appears that the redstone logic breaks and the sorter basically misses many items.   I've rebuilt the sorter a bunch of times, and get different, but still broken results.  After talking with Vintre he believes it might be the following bug in Spigot:

https://hub.spigotmc.org/jira/browse/SPIGOT-546

I'm not sure what the implications are to the rest of the server with the options recommended there, but Vintre and I would appreciate it if the Admins could take a look and see if this is possible.   I believe without this fix all sorters based off of comparators and hoppers will be unreliable and unpredictable.   I believe the behaviour changes when the block with the sorter is unloaded and reloaded.

I have an example at -242, 71, -1001.

Thanks for any input on this!

Tested our item sorter design on the Yowie planning server after it was updated to 1.8, and it did the same thing; splitting flow seems correct, though I hadn't thought of that possibility until this post came up...I thought it was just lag causing weird movement.
If this can be even mostly fixed with just a config, that'd be wonderful.

Yeah, from what I've read the path objects take when going through a sorter shouldn't have changed when going 1.7 -> 1.8, so it does seem like an honest bug in spigot.  I'm going to setup a small spigot server at home and see if I can replicate this.   Of course the powers that be running Nerd have to take into consideration how this change will affect others, if it will have any adverse affect on CPU or Load etc...

Sadly it appears the that alt-ticking=true setting mentioned in that Spigot bug thread doesn't work.  (I'm testing on a virgin spigot-1.8 install from tonight and in creative mode).  I'll play around some more, but for the moment it appears that circuits using Hoppers + Comparators are busted with Spigot.  I'm not sure if there are other bugs that can show up without using the comparator, my guess is anything the depends on the direction an object will follow when a hopper has two outputs is going to break.

Edited by POV

Okay, and further testing and reading has found me a way to make my local server work, but reading the spigot bug report, the fix might not work everywhere... 

https://hub.spigotmc.org/jira/browse/SPIGOT-333

The settings I'm using on my own server that make my sorter work are:

hopper-alt-ticking: true
    ticks-per:
      hopper-transfer: 7
      hopper-check: 7
    hopper-amount: 1

Island of Piraeus built a 35 item sorter and tore it down after we found out when you leave the chunk it unloads all the hopper times into chests and in general does not sort well. This will be far more than just lag fixes and patches.

I have over 200 items sorted in my sorter. And no unloads in the chest so far. But yep this bug make 20% of them to not sort for some reason. 

Hope that spigot 1.8.3 will fix the issue for good.

Edited by Vintre

Well, there's another one that skips hoppers even when loaded, but rather than going into chests they just go through the line without being sucked in by the filter. Also caused by Spigot. Hoping they do something about that too.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow

Yeah, what I'm seeing in Spigot before the 1.8.3. release is that items will miss dropping into hoppers below, and other times drop into hoppers that shouldn't be accepting input (due to the redstone signal strength, etc).  Basically when I'm building my two stage sorter (the first stage sorts out ores and items to cook), the second stage takes the output of the ovens and the items that bypassed the ovens, and sorts the rest into storage, I end up with a massive mess...  Items jamming up the ovens, stuff missing and rolling into the overflow, and other items filling deactivated hoppers.

My smaller test (8 item sorter) on a creative server running spigot-1.8.3 shows that the hoppers appear to work correctly.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, the hoppers appear to work correctly with either the original bone stock Spigot config.yml or the modifications mentioned earlier in the thread!

Edited by POV

• 2 weeks later...

I do kind of have a "workaround" in Brom's autosorter, but it results in a crippling FPS drop. I'd share my solution, but we'd probably bring down the server with the lag from all the redstone updates.

Hoping to hear from the tech admins about the progress on the issue. Does anyone know what version of Spigot the server is running?

• 2 weeks later...

That was actually what I did in Brom; I had a pulsing redstone signal along the top of the hoppers. 3 ticks on, 1 tick off, repeated. It pulsed for several seconds after an item was detected in any number of hoppers throughout the top-level hopper line, ensuring that it would pulse when there were items to sort, and not pulse when not needed.

It worked, more or less. but it made the game unplayable for everyone nearby; FPS dropped down to the single digits while the redstone was pulsing. Eventually, I tore that solution down down and tried a different solution based on hopper directions, which only seems to work for a seemingly random one-third-ish of the hoppers.  And Brom is still left without a working item farming/transporting/sorting infrastructure this rev.

I wonder if there is resistance to changing the version of spigot on the middle of a Rev?  Fixing this, might cause other issues, etc.  

I'll probably come back next rev and see if I can build my redstone monstrosity then.