The "Toxic" Debacle

EeHee2000

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that. I've seen the same promises get casually broken that many times in that many different places that I no longer have that level of trust in forum-level administration or moderation.

Ask the mod if they have received any kind of retaliation for that post. It might help build your trust in us a little bit when they answer you.

• Upvote 6

Ask the mod if they have received any kind of retaliation for that post. It might help build your trust in us a little bit when they answer you.

I didn't name the mod that discussion was had with. So how would you even know who to throw under the bus?

• Upvote 1

So if retaliation isn't on the cards, why is who made the post even important?

Also, as long as I don't name the person, all you've got is a guess and no proof. Acting on that would be foolish, hence your pressing me to name the person. Unluckily for you, I feel absolutely no obligation to confirm any of your suspicions. I won't incriminate another person just because you made me a pinkie promise that you wouldn't have a go at them.

The bottom line is I don't trust you, and this little exchange has done a world of hurt to your position in my opinion.

So if retaliation isn't on the cards, why is who made the post even important?

Also, as long as I don't name the person, all you've got is a guess and no proof. Acting on that would be foolish, hence your pressing me to name the person. Unluckily for you, I feel absolutely no obligation to confirm any of your suspicions. I won't incriminate another person just because you made me a pinkie promise that you wouldn't have a go at them.

The bottom line is I don't trust you, and this little exchange has done a world of hurt to your position in my opinion.

There are logs that can confirm parts of what that anon mod is saying and tie it back to someone (i.e the claiming the modreq before an admin took it, etc). He is not pressing you to name the person at all. He knows exactly who it is, has probably talked to him/her privately, and the mod in question has not been named openly (even in private mod chat). He is asking you to consult this anon mod once more and confirm that there was no harm nor foul. 

To be honest, there are plenty of people that feel the same way as the anon mod, myself included. I've been in a position once or twice where an admin commandeered what I was doing because they had prior experience, more information, etc. I have not done so without protest, and I have requested and gotten followup discussion. Even though I disagreed with the admins in question, I expressed my scruples in a non-inflammatory way. 

It's like I'm a city police officer and my case gets taken over by the FBI. All I can do is hand over the case work and followup under their terms. That's how any bureaucracy works.

• Upvote 3

That's fine, but I wouldn't expect them to trust you in return. Give them the benefit of the doubt - the only way you can avoid conflicts about this is to have a little faith from time to time.

Why on earth would they need to "trust" me? They've got eyes on everything I do in-game. Trust doesn't come into it.

Why on earth would they need to "trust" me? They've got eyes on everything I do in-game. Trust doesn't come into it.

More courtesy than anything else; obviously people tend to like you a little more if you trust them to any degree. If you don't trust them, chances are you'll be questioning their every move, and they'll get sick of that over time. 

• Upvote 3

That's nice. I still don't fully trust the head admins.

Buddy, I don't know what you're trying to start or what seeds of discontent you're trying to sow, but if you think you have some expectation of privacy in ANY online game or community you are sadly mistaken.

I honestly at this point couldn't give two shits about "if UNP trusts me" because in your illustrious time here at Nerd you've been banned, muted for weeks or months at a time for being an insufferable troll, and done nothing but stir up shit on the forums.  All you have done in this thread is talk about how terrible the admins are yet here you are, freely talking shit without any admin doing anything to you.  If any one of us wanted you gone, based on your ban and in-game history it would be done without argument and yet we still allow you to babble on with your crazy conspiracy theories, so in a very public way you're proving your own arguments wrong.

I don't agree with tebok that everyone who doesn't like it here or disagrees "can just go away."  Some of the unhappy people here have valid criticism and feedback.  I just wish you would go away. 

• Upvote 9

I especially like the part where he implores the admins to prove their trustworthiness, and then when MrLoud does exactly that, he sticks his fingers in his proverbial ears and posts equivalent to "La la la la la, I still don't trust you!"

I'm not trying to take sides here, but damn, UNP. You're not even rational.

• Upvote 6

Thanks for confirming you've got a personal grudge against me, jchance. It's always good when one's suspicions are substantiated.

For the record, I'm well aware that I seem kinda tinfoil hattish on this issue. It's a little unfortunate that you're so eager to dismiss my feelings as some kind of insanity, although I recognise that I'm not at all entitled to have my feels catered to.

However, as dickish as I'm well aware I can be, I would never maliciously destroy another person's shit, I would never fuck with their builds, I would never kill their animals and I'd never try to rip them off. That kind of shit is just childish and dishonourable. Even the people on this server that are on my shitlist never have to fear that kind of treatment.

There's a TISM song titled "I might be a cunt but I'm not a fucking cunt" which sums it up nicely. The worst you're ever going to get from me is some arguably dickish attitudes.

Edited by UNP
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for confirming you've got a personal grudge against me, jchance. It's always good when one's suspicions are substantiated.

For the record, I'm well aware that I seem kinda tinfoil hattish on this issue. It's a little unfortunate that you're so eager to dismiss my feelings as some kind of insanity, although I recognise that I'm not at all entitled to have my feels catered to.

However, as dickish as I'm well aware I can be, I would never maliciously destroy another person's shit, I would never fuck with their builds, I would never kill their animals and I'd never try to rip them off. That kind of shit is just childish and dishonourable. Even the people on this server that are on my shitlist never have to fear that kind of treatment.

There's a TISM song titled "I might be a cunt but I'm not a fucking cunt" which sums it up nicely. The worst you're ever going to get from me is some arguably dickish attitudes.

So griefing is wrong, but it's 100% A-OK to insult someone personally through private messages on the strict malicious intent to hurt them. Roger that bud.

• Upvote 6

Guest Former Staff

UNP, if you don't mind me interjecting at this point as I have been reading through your posts within this topic (as well as others) and this was the first post you have made that connected with me.

You just admitted some of your own faults and however good or bad other people see you as, I gain a certain admiration for anyone who does admit to their own personal flaws. This brings me to the admins, which I understand you have some concerns about in terms of trust. Frankly I am glad you do not trust them as this means your perspective is going to be more uniquely placed when ideas are thrown around for discussion.

Ultimately Jchance summed up my overall feeling, mostly: "Some of the unhappy people here have valid criticism and feedback." Can't we all just get along as best as possible and have some fun with blocks while we interact with each other from across the world? This community can be one to look back upon in years to come and think fondly upon, I feel that way now with the added pleasure of still being here.

Edited by Barlimore

Troop, I'd like for you to quote exactly where I said my behaviour on the specific thing you're talking about is "a ok" in that post.

When you fail to do so, I want an apology and I want the statement retracted. Failure to do either of those things will prove that you are just as guilty of what you accuse me of as I am.

Troop, I'd like for you to quote exactly where I said my behaviour on the specific thing you're talking about is "a ok" in that post.

I'm not Troop, but...

It's implicit in the way you keep posting "I may come off as a dick sometimes" as if admitting it somehow absolves you of it.

Have you ever tried, y'know, not being a dick?

• Upvote 4

I'm not Troop, but...

It's implicit in the way you keep posting "I may come off as a dick sometimes" as if admitting it somehow absolves you of it.

Have you ever tried, y'know, not being a dick?

2d4f644844e2c97477931ff9adf261eff3f23416

Also yes, I've tried not being a dick. It actually makes pretty minimal differences.

You know that whole "If you meet one asshole a day, they're an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're probably the asshole" thing? Well, it's possible for EVERYONE to be an asshole (something that little platitude either ignores or misses), meaning that whether I curb my dickishness or not is practically inconsequential.

You might be surprised to know (or not, I don't really know what your opinion of me is) that I get along extremely well with many, many people on the PvE server. I'm always happy to offer help, I offer up my farms for public usage or design inspiration, I give people materials if they ever need it (seriously, I've currently got more redstone and lapiz than I know what to do with) and I do genuinely try to be a positive contributor to the server. 

It's just the people that I don't get along with, I REALLY don't get along with. A lot of them are people who are equally as "loud" and "outspoken" as I am, meaning that it tends to degenerate into nigh-on unacceptable behaviour very quickly. I've never tried to pretend like I'm not abrasive to certain kinds of people. I just wish the other people had the same self-awareness.

Edited by UNP
  • Upvote 2

UNP, I have legitimate respect for your gameplay style and ethics. You seem pretty awesome when it comes to the whole "playing with blocks" thing.

But chat etiquette is not your strong suit. If you legitimately think that everyone's an asshole except you, you're outright delusional. I have never seen you not be an asshole in chat. I'm not saying you can't be opinionated... but you could debate your opinions against others' in a much more respectful fashion than you presently do.

• Upvote 1

UNP, I have legitimate respect for your gameplay style and ethics. You seem pretty awesome when it comes to the whole "playing with blocks" thing.

But chat etiquette is not your strong suit. If you legitimately think that everyone's an asshole except you, you're outright delusional. I have never seen you not be an asshole in chat. I'm not saying you can't be opinionated... but you could debate your opinions against others' in a much more respectful fashion than you presently do.

Sorry, shoulda clarified. By "everyone" I mean including me as well. I'm not deluded enough to think I'm completely innocent or free of blame.

So with that in mind, you can surely understand that some of the people who don't like you and wouldn't mind seeing you gone have that opinion because of your attitude and not because you disagree with them. :P

Because you really love to fall back on this whole premise that people want you gone because of disagreement, when really it's because of conduct.

• Upvote 2

Also yes, I've tried not being a dick. It actually makes pretty minimal differences.

You know that whole "If you meet one asshole a day, they're an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're probably the asshole" thing? Well, it's possible for EVERYONE to be an asshole (something that little platitude either ignores or misses), meaning that whether I curb my dickishness or not is practically inconsequential.

You might be surprised to know (or not, I don't really know what your opinion of me is) that I get along extremely well with many, many people on the PvE server. I'm always happy to offer help, I offer up my farms for public usage or design inspiration, I give people materials if they ever need it (seriously, I've currently got more redstone and lapiz than I know what to do with) and I do genuinely try to be a positive contributor to the server. 

You tried not to be annoying, you objectively achieved that, but in everyone else's irrelevant opinion you didn't succeed?

"There's this rule that would suggest I'm an asshole, but I'm the exception. Except when I have a cold, which makes my poor behaviour totally understandable, right??"

I can believe you're a good person on P. When I was active on P and arguing on the forums I had some hostility on P from people who couldn't separate the two.

I'm surprised that this tangent is being permitted Eehee?

@tobylane

I just feel it's on-topic enough to keep the discussion related to what I intended to have discussed. The whole permbanning thing from before was completely unrelated, thus why I asked for the discussion to remain on-topic. 

This topic is something that ties into much of nerd.nu's community, and I doubt it's something that can be solved effectively without allowing the conversation to drift a little, as long as it has a hope of accomplishing something relevant. 

• Upvote 3

[...] it might be a bit more productive to switch gears on to a different subject imo.

Like this whole question of "what is the toxic debacle that the post title refers to?"

What even is the problem?

Someone help me here. Lets lay it out in clear straightforward concise English.

Who is unhappy?

What are they unhappy about specifically?

What do they want to happen?

Is that desire appropriate to implement?

If so, what needs to be done to make it happen?

Will they still be unhappy when that's done?

---

edit: so far I count: eehee, unp, roastnewt, darkelmo as having something they are unhappy about.

Is that all? Anyone else I missed?

edit2: are they even all still unhappy, or did we get enough drama and emotions out in the preceding discussions that everyone is good now?

Edited by Mumberthrax
  • Upvote 5

As far as I can tell...

Who is unhappy? a bunch of people

What are they unhappy about specifically? being labeled in a negative light

What do they want to happen? not be labeled?

Is that desire appropriate to implement? yes, seems quite reasonable, I wouldn't like it either

If so, what needs to be done to make it happen? stop using such terms, which appears to have happened

Will they still be unhappy when that's done? probably, you cant force people not to lump users they disagree with into a group and label them as something, at least it seems admins won't be doing it anymore

This whole thread got a bit confusing. There was a good discussion mixed in with personal grievances from a several people, really needs to be a way to hide posts on these forums so I can read it through easily

• Upvote 3