There's an extremely large land claim and I want to talk about it.

Helmarok and Incapacity

For context, I live in Metal Mountains at -1000,-1000. Not very far from us is a plot. A very large one.

One day I'm out boating and when not looking I slam into a 1 block wide road going through the water at sea level. Which should be bannable, seriously.  I decide, not having any more wood on me, to follow it and see where it goes. Every so often, I see those signs. They all claim a plot area of 550x550 (what the actual fuck) and it's this massive square around an area. It is for a giant funnel in the sky made of stone. Going from sea level all the way to something past y:220.

Then I open my map and see what's really going on - his land claim is taking up more room than our entire city will in the revision's lifetime. 

donXANG.png

The other 40 regulars and 100+ semi-active players only have a 5000x5000 map to work with.

But here's the issue - he's not in the way. No one is building near him nor plans to because it's mostly in the ocean. Chunk distance is so low that no one will see it unless they approach. I will politely ask him, if he even knows English (has anyone seen him talk?), if he can raise his boundaries to y:65. If he won't, I'll let a mod do it. It's bullshit that you have to interrupt your travel and carry a crafting table just to pass by this soon-to-be behemoth.

What really happens with these? Can we actually stop a project in progress just because it's too big for what it accomplishes? PVE isn't going to run out of room.  What do you think?

Edited by Helmarok and Incapacity
  • Upvote 5

You need to seek out the player if you want to discuss land claim boundaries or aspects of the build.  If that goes nowhere, you can ask an admin to mediate any disputes you have.

Posting on the forums about why the build should not stand is not the way to do it.

• Upvote 5

Posting on the forums about why the build should not stand is not the way to do it.

It isnt so much the fact of him asking for it to be taken down, its the fact that he claimed such a large area with minimal edits. If its region protected, how did a moderator approve this sparse build? There are plenty of builds more developed that are denied regions.

Another reason for this question is why is one player allowed such a large area while entire cities are told to scale back and stop expanding in directions?

• Upvote 3

It isnt so much the fact of him asking for it to be taken down, its the fact that he claimed such a large area with minimal edits. If its region protected, how did a moderator approve this sparse build? There are plenty of builds more developed that are denied regions.

Another reason for this question is why is one player allowed such a large area while entire cities are told to scale back and stop expanding in directions?

The region is not, to my knowledge, protected. Just claimed.

You need to seek out the player if you want to discuss land claim boundaries or aspects of the build.  If that goes nowhere, you can ask an admin to mediate any disputes you have.

I'm sorry my post derailed into a somewhat frustrated vent against the build itself - the title didn't help either. I wanted to talk about the last paragraph specifically - what is done to limit things like this BEFORE they start, and what is done if they're started anyway?

• Upvote 1

But here's the issue - he's not in the way. No one is building near him nor plans to because it's mostly in the ocean. Chunk distance is so low that no one will see it unless they approach. I will politely ask him, if he even knows English (has anyone seen him talk?), if he can raise his boundaries to y:65. If he won't, I'll let a mod do it. It's bullshit that you have to interrupt your travel and carry a crafting table just to pass by this soon-to-be behemoth.

lol. He's using an unusable biome (an Ocean from what I'm seeing in the picture) to build a larger project. Were you planning on using this biome prior to him claiming it? Probably not. Also the English part is irrelevant and could be offensive to certain members of this community - just because he isn't vocal in chat doesn't mean that he won't respond to something you /mail him.

The region is not, to my knowledge, protected. Just claimed.

...Why are you complaining then? If it's not protected - simply marked out so people don't build something there by accident, then why is this even an issue in the first place? I would find it easier to understand if he had claimed a huge chunk of land and protected it, but he's merely made a small border around land he planned on using for his structure.

(edited because the quote boxes were acting weird for some reason - ignore)

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Upvote 1

I'm waiting to see d3north's point addressed by a mod. Why is this gigantic whatever allowed to remain, when cities are routinely told to scale back development? More inconsistent enforcement.

Cities are not told to scale back development, and I have no idea where he picks up that assumption.

• Upvote 9

I'm waiting to see d3north's point addressed by a mod. Why is this gigantic whatever allowed to remain, when cities are routinely told to scale back development? More inconsistent enforcement.

We don't tell people how/what/where to build. As long as they're not breaking any rules, you can build what you want, where you want. We can speak with them, but building something large isn't against the rules. If he was building too close to someone else's build, that's a different story, but doesn't appear to be the case here. The build is not protected. I'm not sure what exactly you're concerned about. No rules are being broken that I can tell.

What are you talking about when you say cities are "routinely told to scale back development?" I've never heard of this happening, or even being an issue. Please explain what you mean.

• Upvote 5

Conflicts aside, with it looking like it will literally be larger than a lot of complete towns, he could have put it somewhere that wasn't right next to a developing one. But yea, now that it's there, you should talk to him and see if you can build underneath it, if it's going to be built in the sky. He might also to condense it vertically a little, giving more room underneath. Depends on what it is.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the discussion. Now that I had a good sleep and rested my mind a bit, I've removed parts of my post that were just inciteful and rude. I hope to chat with him when he's online this weekend and maybe see if the roads can be moved upwards.

Also the English part is irrelevant and could be offensive to certain members of this community - just because he isn't vocal in chat doesn't mean that he won't respond to something you /mail him.

I based this assumption on the many typos on the signs and when he did not respond to an in-game message once. Sorry. As for the other part, the issue isn't that everyone was going to jump into the biome - mostly the plot size and vicinity to other things.

@Sapphric, thanks for the clarification. Just seeing this build reminded me of when we would move player houses if they were blocking a neighbor's property or overreaching from above. If I could go back and remake my post I'd focus my post on what's done for situations like these, not how much I dislike the idea of a large build next to the town.

Hi everyone Dagoodwi here :) I'm gunna go right ahead and address some of the issues you have brought up:

- First off, I apologize for the stone boarder on sea level, I never thought about people using boats. Next time I log in I'll fix it so people can sail through.

- Secondly, I want to reassure you about my ability to complete the funnel and make it look relatively nice. I've built many HUGE builds over a few revisions on S. You can see them pretty plainly from rev 17-22.

- The build isn't protected and I don't think it ever will be

- And lastly, if at all possible, I'd like to buy the airspace area where my build over reaches Sarastus' claim. 

I take pride in my huge builds so any questions anyone has about it is welcome.

• Upvote 12

Hi everyone Dagoodwi here :) I'm gunna go right ahead and address some of the issues you have brought up:

- First off, I apologize for the stone boarder on sea level, I never thought about people using boats. Next time I log in I'll fix it so people can sail through.

- Secondly, I want to reassure you about my ability to complete the funnel and make it look relatively nice. I've built many HUGE builds over a few revisions on S. You can see them pretty plainly from rev 17-22.

- The build isn't protected and I don't think it ever will be

- And lastly, if at all possible, I'd like to buy the airspace area where my build over reaches Sarastus' claim. 

I take pride in my huge builds so any questions anyone has about it is welcome.

Hey bud. Again, sorry about being so inflammatory in my original post. I'm not familiar with Survival so I didn't recognize your name and know your history of builds. Glad to hear that this willl end up finished. I have seen in the past many large objects that get abandoned rather quickly out of either lingering interest or other projects and that was a big reason I wanted to complain.

This "Sarastus" character eludes me. That's the name on all his signs in the area, but the name doesn't appear on usage stats nor have I seen anyone in that area since I joined the rev on Feb 28. This might require me to log in tonight and scour the area for any development.

• Upvote 2