What do you look for in a lobby?

twilexis

What do you look for in a lobby?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer for layout?

• Circular with each portal at a cardinal (ie, north, south, east, west)
    • Portals in areas that fit the build, not at pre-determined places (ie, cardinals)
  2. 2. What size do you prefer?

• Bigger the better, baby!
    • Whatever suits the design of the build
    • Smaller builds
  3. 3. Portals: Vertical or horizontal?

• Vertical. They're easier to see and fly into
    • Horizontal. I can stand on the portal block and drop through when the server opens
    • Both, either within the build or alternating with each lobby
  4. 4. Design. How much detail?

• Intricate and interesting
    • Simple and pretty
    • A mix of the above two
  5. 5. How long should a lobby stay up for?

• 1 month, depending on holiday lobbies.
    • 2 weeks, depending on holiday lobbies
    • 1 week, depending on holiday lobbies
  6. 6. Holiday lobbies: How do we determine which holidays to use?

• Use the most common ones, with suggestions/themes being taken on board
    • Use the most common ones and not taking on suggestions
    • Honestly, I don't like holiday lobbies.

Hi guys!

Quick poll to find out what your preferences are with lobbies. Zburdsal and I have been working on a couple and are information gathering to see what the community prefers.

Keep in mind, lobbies can be player submitted. If you would like to submit a lobby design just talk to a member of the admin team for further information.

I for one hate initially circular lobbies. I like to see all my options upon entering a room, or at the very least not have to turn around to see them. I also hate open-horizon lobbies like the ones we've been using. Gimme some mountains, or at the very least tall walls (pretty) to confine my imagination to your theme.

• Upvote 2

I for one hate initially circular lobbies. I like to see all my options upon entering a room, or at the very least not have to turn around to see them. I also hate open-horizon lobbies like the ones we've been using. Gimme some mountains, or at the very least tall walls (pretty) to confine my imagination to your theme.

I like that idea. It would be an interesting change from lobbies past. Just put the portals on the south side so you face that way on spawn. Maybe an interior lobby, too, instead of an outdoor design.

• Upvote 3

I honestly don't like any of the lobbies. Can't we keep a default lobby and then theme that specific lobby when necessary? It's really annoying when the server portals are moved to different sides because someone different builds the lobby.

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

For me the top priority when repenting to the lobby (I think that I finally joined that bandwagon) is being able to easily find the portal. I love the time and effort people have spent on each individual lobby so far but as long as it doesn't overshadow the primary function of the lobby then I am happy with any upcoming variations.

As long as there is limited redstone / glow stone I'm happy. Lighting updates on spawning kinda suck.

My ideal lobby would be something like the large pve spawn that was a giant house...except don't let people outside of it. That way lighting and crap is controlled, and it fits within the initial render distance when I first join and want to quickly walk to a portal

• Upvote 2

I like seeing a mix of everything really as it is interesting seeing different designs and styles.   The only thing I really look for are secrets as I really enjoy looking for secrets.  If you ever need help building up secrets, I can help as I also enjoy building them. :D

I'd really like to spawn on the portal of the server I just left so I automatically log back in when it's up. Then if I'm idling in my grinder for 20 mins while I make lunch or brew a cuppa I could just leave mc running without having to worry about relogging.

That's a really spifftastic idea.

That's a really spifftastic idea.

I'd really like to spawn on the portal of the server I just left so I automatically log back in when it's up. Then if I'm idling in my grinder for 20 mins while I make lunch or brew a cuppa I could just leave mc running without having to worry about relogging.

I quite like this idea and I've gone ahead and forwarded it to techs in IRC.

• Upvote 1

The only problem I see with this is that the portal doesn't close instantly when the lobby closes.

Last time I jumped into the water right before it turned to ice, I got 'caught' in the ice.  Then when the server started up and the ice turned back to water, I didn't join automatically.  So I had to jump out of the water and back in.  

The only thing I can think of is another platform above the portal which people spawn on when being transferred to the lobby.  Then when the water switches to ice, the bottom of that platform will fall disappear. 

For a little context, a small part of the rationale behind restarts was to clear up people afk'ing in game to conserve resources for those actually playing. This was of particular importance at the beginning of revisions when, for example, we once had a cap of ~120 and 150 people were trying to log in and play. I'm not too terribly invested either way, since player numbers probably aren't related to our current technical issues - the occasional guy sitting at a no-kill mob grinder will stack up a bunch of mobs and kill tps, and this would still be fixed (for a time) by a restart even if they rejoin.

• Upvote 4