[PMC] Note Removal

Mrloud15

Whoops I removed one earlier, thought we could remove them if they old enough and the staff member was not active. Sorry about that.

Why don't we take this opportunity to write up an actual policy for removing notes?

I'm not entirely sure what we should include in the policy, here's a few thoughts of mine:

• You can appeal a note after X amount of time?
  • Only the giving staff member can remove it. If staff member is inactive a admin/head admin can remove it?
  • Notes about unbans will not be removed as they are for record keeping?
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Former Staff

Hello everyone,

Please only remove notes you made, and leave removing notes for inactive staff members to the head admins.

Would it be possible to include this in the ban appeal policy please under the note of something such as "Note removal for inactive staff will be handled be the head admin team."

Here is a good, recent example of where someone has modified their note appeal title to the survival admin team, alongside head admins, without the knowledge of how this works and I see this being more of a help to the appeals process if it was shared..

Additionally I created a suggestion regarding ban appeals being handled by other staff but the topic deviated onto other great ideas. Could I get clarification on whether the suggestion is ok to be added please? Or whether in my suggestion this would be handled by head admins only too.

My suggestion is to update the ban appeal policy to empower all staff with the ability to pick up an appeal if there has not been a reply from the banning moderator within a reasonable time-frame (such as 48 hours from the banning moderator last posting), handling what they feel comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Former Staff

Thank you for the update Schererererer on both the ban appeal policy and the suggestion. In terms of the head admins not coming to an agreement yet, I'd like to ask if there are any questions on the idea itself which are not coming together in a conclusive no or yes? If there are, maybe I can look at the idea again with them in mind to see if there is a way of amending the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue that was brought up was one of mods injecting themselves into a contentious ban while information is being gathered or collated, but I believe this is a satisfactory solution to that problem: "If the banning moderator has not responded to your appeal after 48 hours you may make a post (bump) in your appeal to bring attention to it. At this point (48 hours of no response), any staff member may attempt to contact the banning moderator and if no response is received in 24 hours, said staff member may take over to expedite the appeal."

I have edited the ban appeal policy to reflect this and am making a head admin changelog post about it now.

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

The issue that was brought up was one of mods injecting themselves into a contentious ban while information is being gathered or collated, but I believe this is a satisfactory solution to that problem: "If the banning moderator has not responded to your appeal after 48 hours you may make a post (bump) in your appeal to bring attention to it. At this point (48 hours of no response), any staff member may attempt to contact the banning moderator and if no response is received in 24 hours, said staff member may take over to expedite the appeal."

I have edited the ban appeal policy to reflect this and am making a head admin changelog post about it now.

Sounds good provided that attempting to contact said staff member results in using as many methods of contact available to them.

Guest Former Staff

Whoops I removed one earlier, thought we could remove them if they old enough and the staff member was not active. Sorry about that.

Why don't we take this opportunity to write up an actual policy for removing notes?

I'm not entirely sure what we should include in the policy, here's a few thoughts of mine:

• You can appeal a note after X amount of time?
  • Only the giving staff member can remove it. If staff member is inactive a admin/head admin can remove it?
  • Notes about unbans will not be removed as they are for record keeping?

I just noticed that your suggestion hasn't moved forward yet and would like to see this remedied with something actionable soon. To get this moving along, my suggestion for such a policy would be:

Similar to ban appeals, once a note has been added to you then you're welcome to appeal this if / when you wish. Where the notes are deemed valid and end up staying on your account for the meantime, please consider allowing a few weeks / months before re-appealing.

Each note appeal will be handled by the staff member who issued them, provided they are active. Otherwise should that staff member be inactive / no longer on staff then if the note directly refers to activity on a specific server then a respective server admin can handle the note appeal. The head admin team will aim to oversee all note appeals issued from inactive / past staff.

For the staff member handling the note appeal, we would ask that you are fair. Please consider the length of time that the note has been active for and whether the note still reflects the behaviour of that individual. Where possible, we do not want to see notes remain for lengthy periods of time.

Should anyone experience issues with the outcome of their note appeal then you are welcome to approach a head admin. Provided the staff member has followed the guideline in the above paragraph then we will support their decision.

----------------------------

Any feedback is appreciated. My aim was:

• To give server admins the control to handle note appeals on behalf of inactive moderators / past staff, where the note was a reference to their server (e.g. "combat logging on S" could be handled by a Survival Admin).
  • Make sure that notes do not stay applied to an individual for an unnecessary period of time unless the note still reflects the behaviour of the individual.
  • Ensure that everyone handling a note appeal is following the same guideline.
  • Allow people to approach a head admin to raise concerns over the decision of their note appeal but making it clear that we would only do this if the staff member hasn't followed the guideline for handling note appeals.

I just noticed that your suggestion hasn't moved forward yet and would like to see this remedied with something actionable soon. To get this moving along, my suggestion for such a policy would be:

Similar to ban appeals, once a note has been added to you then you're welcome to appeal this if / when you wish. Where the notes are deemed valid and end up staying on your account for the meantime, please consider allowing a few weeks / months before re-appealing.

Each note appeal will be handled by the staff member who issued them, provided they are active. Otherwise should that staff member be inactive / no longer on staff then if the note directly refers to activity on a specific server then a respective server admin can handle the note appeal. The head admin team will aim to oversee all note appeals issued from inactive / past staff.

For the staff member handling the note appeal, we would ask that you are fair. Please consider the length of time that the note has been active for and whether the note still reflects the behaviour of that individual. Where possible, we do not want to see notes remain for lengthy periods of time.

Should anyone experience issues with the outcome of their note appeal then you are welcome to approach a head admin. Provided the staff member has followed the guideline in the above paragraph then we will support their decision.

----------------------------

Any feedback is appreciated. My aim was:

• To give server admins the control to handle note appeals on behalf of inactive moderators / past staff, where the note was a reference to their server (e.g. "combat logging on S" could be handled by a Survival Admin).
  • Make sure that notes do not stay applied to an individual for an unnecessary period of time unless the note still reflects the behaviour of the individual.
  • Ensure that everyone handling a note appeal is following the same guideline.
  • Allow people to approach a head admin to raise concerns over the decision of their note appeal but making it clear that we would only do this if the staff member hasn't followed the guideline for handling note appeals.

Looks good to me.

Guest Former Staff

We've added in the note appeal policy into the existing ban appeal policy topic.

Aside from what we've already discussed in this topic, nothing else has changed but you're welcome to click here to see the post.