[PMC] Fundraiser #1! CTF!

SwitchViewz

Guest Former Staff

I'll test some wall cut-away designs on the admin world of the event server. Modify them if you can improve upon them or build something different so we can have more choice (I'll upload the results to this topic).

Guest Former Staff

For modreq 7 where there was an underwater ravine requiring water fixing, I have completed this and left a small air pocket at the top of the ravine:

5n3ikw5l.png

SAucVuCl.png

lY44NwVl.png

Edit: I've since completed all of the water fix modreqs and have fixed water below Y64 in the ocean, occasionally leaving airpockets where it made sense.

Edited by Barlimore

Guest Former Staff

Master seems to have modreq'd this before me but should we be seeing 'naturally' spawning bricks and sponge?

Guest Former Staff

Final update for me today: I've gone through all of the waterways from the edge of the map to the water in between islands and cleared them of non-squid mobs. Additionally I have fixed as much broken water as I came across. While I may not have caught everything, I do believe a good 95% has been fixed / butchered.

With regards to animal spread, I only saw those that were along the edges of the islands so I don't know the full extent of just how many there are but there appeared to be a very heavy density of them (mostly) evenly spread across the islands.

I'm sending the map of my routes to SwitchViewz via pm.

Awesome, barlimore! The bricks and sponge were a mistake with the terraincontrol generation - mrloud has to let us know what the original ores were supposed to be so we can blanket replace them across the entire map.

One other thing that I have not mentioned yet is the lack of ocean monuments - a couple of these can be made; I'll create warps to suggested locations tonight.

MasterCommaThe, I got a glimpse of that the other day and thought it was amazingly built, as well as the pyramid housing the buff on the Nether island (that wall detailing is so cool, it's like tiers upon tiers of revered animals or something :O)  Both strike me as wonders-of-the-ancient-world-esque and I think players will be as impressed (if not more) when they chance upon them.

I realize I haven't said a word in this thread yet ._. I've been taking a crack at some random ruiny things to scatter across the map (much more micro-scale).  They should be easily spotted near the edge of render distance from spawning into /mvtp admin.  For most of them I've tried to brainstorm things along the lines of "ancient Mesoamerican-y civilization structures" (relief sculpture, four-legged animal thing sculpture(?)) but have built things with BIONICLE influences (the 4 spires, a sandpit with obsidian and sandstone and wood blocks).

For the relief sculptures themselves I was envisioning them mostly just set in the side of a hill or something - if hidden doors in the sculpture are required for anything, it's possible to accommodate that too.  While building them I was thinking of a backstory thread idea - that these structures are artifacts left by an ancient tribe, who lived and thrived in the area until defeat by a technologically (more) advanced hostile tribe in a pivotal battle heralded their eventual decline.  (Also attempted to build a sculpture that depicted a prophecy of Unity being built but that didn't go too well.)  I can try to come up with something better for "animals are fucking everywhere" and try to put that in a relief sculpture, but as of right now the only idea I have for it is "just some act of Notch".

Anyway, I'm currently fresh out of ideas for what to build next ._.  Should I try designing structures that look like they belong on the other biome islands?

http://i.imgur.com/iBzfUhV.png

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

I lied, I worked on wall designs a little more and came up with two. These are both close to the warp point of the admin test area if anyone wishes for a closer inspection. Otherwise, here are the screenshots that I have for both of them: I've added red and blue clay blocks to both of the builds, to imagine 'team colours' added.

These walls are designed to allow for people to travel within them and on top of them.

macumK9h.png

WANjMKzh.png

lfSVjpih.png

ck5aHWrh.png

dN8trH2h.png

These walls are more circular in design and lower to the ground.

2uHRP1Wh.png

HK5mr6sh.png

uf3Y3Puh.png

pGCPDash.png

Guest Former Staff

I've started working on a team spawn pyramid with Mayan influence on design and a little on the patterns used. I'm going to add a building on top of the pyramid itself similar to this and either add more water across the other sides / remove the water entirely, once I am next on.

Here's a progress image:

hDAbUKfh.png

Guest Former Staff

I've modified the pyramid to allow for a hollow interior so people can spawn inside and see rule signs. I'm pretty much done if someone else wishes to modify the design to something better.

Here are some images from the team spawn point:

OFeHbFnh.png

0skKU9vh.png

vuOedSFh.png

hG45FGIh.png

Y7q4FU6h.png

jNlqvQMh.png

fR5oMchh.png

vlJP85Bh.png

6bAOYrKh.png

5b1pZkLh.png

Guest Former Staff

I've created a third wall design: from viewing a previous CTF I wanted to recreate some of the height in those walls. There are four tiers to walk among, and I'll start from the ground floor up.

azLhspqh.png

s2TIwwIh.png

OuWi1hch.png

NrxMTxMh.png

oq7RoDHh.png

5EmPP4Nh.png

PCr9wgTh.png

b8yfaR3h.png

tL7QBNeh.png

In case you all were interested, the mushroom island buff temple is complete! The actual "buff station" needs to be put inside the horse with the glowing eyes to finish it off. If anyone knows how to get rid of the lighting errors on the other horses, your secrets would be appreciated.

2015-05-14_10.13.54.md.png

Awesome stuff, guys! Hopefully I'll get a chance to hop ingame and take a look at everything (and finish up my netherbrick stepped pyramid, heh). Switch - overall how do you think we're looking to be on track for a release on May 22/23? I haven't been keeping track of the non-ctf portions as closely. If you think we need more time (and it's better to be sure) I think we should target May 29/30.

Guest Former Staff

Where are we at the moment and what can I involve myself in next? I find myself asking this question frequently and have pestered SwitchViewz and Schererererer (amongst others!) through IRC regularly. Maybe it is because I joined in on this event planning late rather than from the start but I have found myself a little lost at times. So without further ado, I'm posting what I believe is a list of progress so far alongside tasks remaining. This is by no means an official list, it is to help provide me with a way to prioritise tasks that I want to complete, share with everyone our progress so far so that we are on the same page and hopefully it can act as a platform for our project leaders to clarify where I may be wrong or missing data.

I'll create a list-view and mark the progress or completion of what I think is correct, but take it with a pinch of salt. There will be full details on each of these individual projects under the "contents".

=============================================================================================================================

Contents:

Map Clearup:

-World edit out all endportals at the mushroom island. [DONE]

-Clear the waterways of animals [DONE]

-Fixwater where it is not flowing down into ravines and such. [DONE]

-Add acacia trees to the designated island. [DONE]

-Add birch trees to the designated island. [DONE]

-Add dark oak logs & leaves to the designated island. [DONE]

-Clear floating water. [DONE]

-Fix the glass, brick and sponge by replacing them with ores. [DONE]

Map Features:

-Add a large tree to the centre of dark oak island. [NOT BEGUN] (Not strictly speaking necessary)

-Possibly adding a central volcano island. [DONE] (was already made from the beginning)

-Include mob spawners around the map. [IN PROGRESS / NOT BEGUN]

Unique Builds:.

-Fishing villiage [DONE] - [MasterCommaThe]

-Netherbrick stepped pyramid / nether island temple complex (equivalent to nether fortress). [IN PROGRESS] - [schererererer, Silversunset01]

-Custom ocean monuments. [NOT BEGUN]

-End fortress. [NOT BEGUN] (Not strictly speaking necessary)

Main Server Spawn / Minigames Spawn:

-Lobby-style world for accessing minigames. [IN PROGRESS] [switchViewz]

Team Spawns:

-Small pyramid design. [IN PROGRESS / DONE] [barlimore]

Team Bases:

-Wall design, towers and gateways. [IN PROGRESS] [barlimore]

-Size of each base. [IN PROGRESS] [barlimore]

-Placing the base. [IN PROGRESS] [barlimore]

Ruins:

-Create an assortment of ruins for the map. [DONE] [buzzie71]

-Implementing the ruins embedded into the side of the volcano. [NOT BEGUN]

-Ruins across the map. [NOT BEGUN]

Buff Towers:

#1 [IN PROGRESS / DONE] [MasterCommaThe]

#2 [IN PROGRESS / DONE] [schererererer - inside nether island pyramid]

#3 [NOT BEGUN] [on volcano island]

#4 [NOT BEGUN]

#5 [NOT BEGUN]

#6 [NOT BEGUN]

Event Lobby:

-Large volcano with the portal in the lava. [NOT BEGUN] [Zburdsal]

PVP Spleef:

-First floor spleef, second flor pvp arena. One point for winning each. [IN PROGRESS] [Mrloud15]

Maze:

-A large leaf-based maze. [IN PROGRESS] [CROCKODUCK]

Obstacle Course:

-A race to reach the end of the course in the fastest time. [NOT BEGUN]

Parkour:

-Either a single or variety of parkour courses. [IN PROGRESS] [CROCKODUCK]

KOTH:

-King of the hill arena. [NOT BEGUN]

=============================================================================================================================

Slightly More In-Depth With Questions:

Map Clearup:

In terms of clearup, most of the work is done regarding animals and water. From my opinion there may still be a very small number of animals floating in the water (unless others have since spawned in there or wandered in).

However, we need to cover the entire map in small sections to replace the following blocks which appear to have been naturally generated:

Glass blocks with 1:1,

Bricks with 1:3

Sponge with 1:5

Map Features:

Adding a central volcano island seems to conflict with adding a large tree in the centre. Could we have clarification on this please? : Will we have both islands near each other or are we only creating one over the other, if so, which are we going to focus on and where can we create the volcano / large tree / both?

With regards to mob spawners, I don't believe that passive mobs may need a spawner given the vast quantity of them across the world.

Unique Builds:

The fishing village is looking great! I don't know who built it so sorry I haven't given you credit. Would anyone be able to come forward to let us know if it is completed? [PROGRESS IMAGE]

The netherbrick stepped pyramid is almost finished. Having spoke with Schererererer, most of what remains is to integrate the bottom of the pyramid with the ground. This building falls upon the nether island, does this mean that this is the custom nether fortress or will that be a different build entirely? [PROGRESS IMAGE]

Custom ocean monuments do not appear to have been built yet. I understand that Master's buff tower was originally intended to be one but has instead found a more prominent position on the mushroom island.

Having taken a look in the end, there is no custom fortress built here.

Main Server Spawn / Minigames Spawn:

This area is coming along well and looks fairly complete, listed as mostly completed by SwitchViewz. [PROGRESS IMAGE 1 | PROGRESS IMAGE 2]

Team Spawns:

SwitchViewz desired a small pyramid around 50 by 50 in size where people could spawn inside to view the respective rules, so we currently have one design available that can be amended for each team's colours.

Team Bases:

I've not yet been able to contact Random regarding his input to see if he has any designs we can choose from. Schererererer has indicated that this design could go forward and we could start creating the walls from these.

Elevation is a concern as with previous CTF maps, bases were on smooth surfaces so walls were easy to place. This time around we do not have that, so we have the option of either flattening the area or working with it: Walls can be adapted to varied heights.

Assuming we're good to use that wall design, or another that comes up, how large do we want each base? They should both be the same size for fairness I would imagine. If an outline of the inner and outer walls could be plotted for each base then regardless of elevation, we can get an idea for how to place walls and...

Gateways, corner towers do not currently have a design we can use.

Ruins:

Buzzie has created a wide assortment of ruins that we can use across the map. There is no volcano created yet for these ruins to be implemented.

There are some original ideas that Buzzie has been discussing with me, so these are for consideration: Having some of the ruins directing to buff towers or other significant features, placed in areas such as hills, jungle or in hidden areas such as caves. Additionally having a relief structure showing the way through one of Master's horses as another possibility, if Master felt comfortable too? [PROGRESS IMAGE 1 | PROGRESS IMAGE 2]

Buff Towers:

Six towers were mentioned in the original post and so far we have one completed in design, requiring only placement of the buff "station" itself to be placed along with the current modreqs Master has open which are to consider adding a message to trigger when people reach the island (along the lines of...) "Upon reaching the island, you feel compelled to reach the top." [PROGRESS IMAGE]

We still require five more buff towers with a parkour element.

Event Lobby:

This lobby has not yet begun as Zburdsal was not able to reach the correct world due to permissions. He still does not have access to world edit but I have teleported him to the correct world and he has saved a home there so he can now build. [PROGRESS IMAGE]

PvP Spleef:

Mrloud15 has explained to me that progress is going well, with the main tasks to create the island that the arena is upon alongside some other more minor tasks with an approximate completion time within the next 3-4 days. [PROGRESS IMAGE 1 | PROGRESS IMAGE 2]

Maze:

Looking through this topic, I understand that there were some issues with the leaf decay but that has now been fixed. Are we just looking to copy and paste the maze in and create a home for it within the minigame world? [PROGRESS IMAGE 1 | PROGRESS IMAGE 2]

Obstacle Course:

We do not currently have anyone working upon an obstacle course.

Parkour:

I understand that CROCKODUCK may be looking to take upon this challenge but did offer for others to help out too. How is progress coming along so far?

KOTH:

No-one has started work on this yet.

I tried creating a huge temple where people could ascend to the top of but it looked horrific so I removed my progress however more recently I've had the idea of KOTH out in the world (surrounded by protections) with say two large ships that people can spawn upon and a number of platforms held up from the ocean by logs to climb on. Overlooking the fact that I can't build ships, how does this idea sound?

This is my footnote. It's late here so if my typing hasn't made sense in areas then I apologise, I've re-read it but all I can see is the word progress imprinted in my mind.

Please could either SwitchViewz or Schererererer reply to let me know how accurate my progress list is as I will amend it if it helps other people to get a detailed breakdown of where we are now.

Additionally if you're working on a build already and want me to credit you (I'm looking at you fishing village anonymous people!) then please post here. Overall there seem to be a large number of tasks still left to do.

Apologies for the wall of text and if I have missed anything out, I have tried to be thorough.

Awesome wrapup, barlimore - I made some edits to adjust the checklist to clarify a few matters and match the current status of things. Regarding your questions, the big tree was supposed to be on the dark oak island (NE of center), but really isn't all that necessary. The volcano is already the tallest mountain on the central island - just need to build a buff tower/temple/dungeon thing there. The nether island pyramid temple I've been building is effectively the "nether fortress" talked about at first, and also a buff point (housed within the pyramid if someone wants to do parkour-y things for it). I think 6 buffs was switchviewz' suggestion - in the past I think we had 3?

Guest Former Staff

Thank you for the modifcations and replying back, this helps to clarify our position and filter out some of the less essential tasks.

So I've realized after the fact that I made the red/blue team islands too small for the old size bases (200x200 for the outer walls and 120x120 for the inner walls) and we'll need an updated setup - you have leeway to adjust this however, but it should still be semi-permeable to attackers (open gates), and have the two flags at opposite corners of the base in an open, unbuildable area (though behind some kind of outer wall). Yeesh, if need be, we can flatten the team base islands to make things work better.

I dun goofed my dimensions for one version of the maze I was creating, but never fear I'll just schematic in what I got and fill in the little bit of over cast I left out. On a side note if anyone would care to tutor me in basic math I'd appreciate it.

Guest Former Staff

Is there an optimal way to sweep through the map and replace glass, brick, and sponge with 1:1, 1:3, and 1:5 respectively? That's a lot of chunks to run through.

I'm happy to do this task as it's the last of the world clear-up but wanted to know the answer to this very question too before I begin.

Ok, I've found the most optimal way to complete this task though it does involve flying around the entire map as we anticipated.

The //chunk command will select the entire chunk you're within where you can then replace the blocks. I've created a sheet to track my progress here. Each chunk is listed from 62, 62 to -62, -62. Empty cells are red however if you feel like helping out and complete a chunk then just enter the letter 'y' into the corresponding cell.

My recommendation is to use the following commands:

//chunk

//replace 20 1:1

//replace 45 1:3

//replace 19 1:5

Then enter 'y' in the corresponding cell and move onto the next chunk.

It's over 15,000 chunks - I don't know if this worldedit method is really viable - this would be on the order of hundreds of man-hours. Is mcedit an option for doing this all at once? (i.e. without crashing). If not, I think making a larger selection (but smaller vertically) and then using //shift will make this go faster than per chunk.

Guest Former Staff

It's over 15,000 chunks - I don't know if this worldedit method is really viable - this would be on the order of hundreds of man-hours. Is mcedit an option for doing this all at once? (i.e. without crashing). If not, I think making a larger selection (but smaller vertically) and then using //shift will make this go faster than per chunk.

While we look into an easier solution, I'm going to continue on. I'm using the chunk grid on voxelmap to make it easier alongside macros.

One interesting pattern that I have noticed so far is that all of the outer chunks have not had a single incorrect block in them. I'm going to complete the perimeter and then head to the centre of the map and work outwards: I'm marking cells that are completed and update incorrect blocks with the letter x, transforming the cell blue (I tested at Master's modreq #5).

Edit: I timed myself on how fast I can complete a row of chunks, it works out at 11 minutes which means at the most there are 23 hours required to do this for every chunk. Once I move to the centre, I will establish a perimeter for just how wide-spread the ore issue is and hopefully this will shave more than half the time off.