[PMC] Fundraiser #1! CTF!

SwitchViewz

Guest Former Staff

For expediency, does anyone have the ability to copy and paste any of this rev's Creative Shipwreck building contest entries? I don't know where they went to once it was finished. 

Sorry for the silence the last couple of days, IRL family visit, but I'm back. The fishing village was just something to move me past my mental block on what to build for a temple on mushroom island, but feel free to change it to make it a functional element if you can think of any purpose for it.

Maybe we could approach a creative admin for schematics? A choice of shipwrecks would be good!

So one thing MasterComma and I ran into was that it might be possible to navigate the maze with a minimap, and although I put a grid like roof on it to prevent that, it still could be possible.  For the techs can we disable all height settings to navigate caves and such to prevent this on the event server?  Much appreciated if possible!

I've started looking around the jungle island (marked by home jungle1, it's unlisted) for places to place the stone ruins.  I've found four capes to drop down the four stone faces already, but I've been unable to find a flat cliff face on that island for a relief sculpture - all the hills near the edge of the island are too small.  Should I attempt a terraform to build a hill large enough for it, or stick it somewhere else, or bury it partially underground, or something else?

I've been thinking about dropping the other pieces inside the dense jungle but I'm worried they will probably not be found - should I plant them more towards the outer edges where they can be found?  Maybe try to cluster them together to look like ruins of a city?  (Not confident I can pull this off :S)

I've taken the other relief sculpture to the island with the volcano - currently it's in the air in view of MasterCommaThe's fishing village (on the other side of the strait).  MasterCommaThe - would it be okay to embed the sculpture there?  If you'd rather it not be visible from the village, I have a few other sites picked out that I can go to instead, and I'll clean up the existing copy.

Also, should the sculpture be on the volcano itself or could it be on a hill farther away?  I was thinking the latter since it would (lore-wise) be less likely to be buried under lava should the volcano erupt again.  I believe I have enough sites picked out that I could do either.

For the reliefs, it's all up to you - anything works. For other pieces, inside the dense jungle is fine - don't underestimate the extent of player exploration, and hidden easter eggs are honestly more fun. Either on the volcano or farther away on the island would be fine for the other relief sculpture - in view of the fishing village shouldn't be a problem.

For what its worth all of the blue wall is now plugged and meets the ground the whole way around, no more obvious worldedit pastes.

I would like to get some markings placed out for the red base, even if the wall can't be pasted in, just so I can lay some foundations  which we can paste on top of, which would make life easier post paste

Other than that looking good guys, hows all the other aspects coming along? Do we have adverts planned and ready? public posts announcing the event, both for on the day and weeks leading up to it? is all the tech requirements complete and ready?

I would like to see a solid deadline put in place so we can start making sure we will have staff around during the duration of the event, both technical and server/head admins would be great to keep active during the event.

Guest Former Staff

For what its worth all of the blue wall is now plugged and meets the ground the whole way around, no more obvious worldedit pastes.

I would like to get some markings placed out for the red base, even if the wall can't be pasted in, just so I can lay some foundations  which we can paste on top of, which would make life easier post paste

Thanks c45y, that is where I left off on the blue wall. Sadly I've not been able to use world edit pastes due to the terrain elevation. I'm logging in to double check now but I believe I have to finish the roof and small details on the sides.

I'll start overlaying borders for new walls to be created at warp redbase in the next few hours.

misc question on the obstacle course race. When I get to the end, how do we identify the winner without having a ref present? I have a timed starting box so nobody needs to kick off the race but do we use punch signs? I'll have some sort of winners box but what do we do officially? I'll be online tonight 6:30/7pm eastern if anyone wants to chat in game (most likely on mumble too).

MasterCommaThe - would it be okay to embed the sculpture there?  If you'd rather it not be visible from the village, I have a few other sites picked out that I can go to instead, and I'll clean up the existing copy.

The villagers in fact worship the face in the mountain as their god. Moving it elsewhere would probably inspire an apocalyptic fervor. 

I've been thinking about dropping the other pieces inside the dense jungle but I'm worried they will probably not be found - should I plant them more towards the outer edges where they can be found?  Maybe try to cluster them together to look like ruins of a city?  (Not confident I can pull this off :S)

I had a similar problem with the buff tower on the mushroom island, I wasn't sure players would know it is possible to get to the top. Hence I modreq'd that a region message be added letting players know they can get to the top.

Similarly you could add a few regions with messages near the jungle telling them "A chill runs down your spine, like someone walking over your grave, as your eyes pass over the denser part of the jungle." "A delectible smell like roast pork wafts through the air from somewhere among the trees. You hope against hope that it isn't the cannibals." "Looking at the dense foliage you remember the stories your crazy uncle told you about lost civilizations deep in the jungle."

Also signs and broken road paths could work.

misc question on the obstacle course race. When I get to the end, how do we identify the winner without having a ref present? I have a timed starting box so nobody needs to kick off the race but do we use punch signs? I'll have some sort of winners box but what do we do officially? I'll be online tonight 6:30/7pm eastern if anyone wants to chat in game (most likely on mumble too).

Perhaps have them grab a custom book from a chest to present to a judge for a prize? I or someone equally handy with redstone could also build a "winnner's chamber" that seals upon entry. 

Guest Former Staff

Hence I modreq'd that a region message be added letting players know they can get to the top.

I've just completed this modreq for you, let me know what you think.

Perhaps have them grab a custom book from a chest to present to a judge for a prize? I or someone equally handy with redstone could also build a "winnner's chamber" that seals upon entry.

I will have a winners chamber for 1st 2nd and 3rd place, I just wasn't sure what would happen *after* that. Maybe they can punch a sign that announces "<player> Came in first place in the obstacle course" (could it be area specific? So it announces to the obstacle course but not the whole server?). I'll also need to come up with a way for them to exit without cheating and claiming a prize. Unless there is only one prize per box that is recycled by the judges - I was mostly trying to make the race non-defendant on judge intervention.

I like the book idea to present for a prize. I will come up with some of those to put in the winners boxes.

Are we allowed to use command blocks? I'm trying to think of ways to prevent people other than the winners from collecting prizes and wasn't sure if that was an option or not.

Guest Former Staff

For the winner of an event, one thing I was considering (but I don't know how exactly it can be implemented) is for the first person who reaches the victory destination will have it announced with a message such as "Silversunset01 has won the obstacle course for Red Team!"

Then a protected chest of some kind could unlock at the corresponding team base.

For the winner of an event, one thing I was considering (but I don't know how exactly it can be implemented) is for the first person who reaches the victory destination will have it announced with a message such as "Silversunset01 has won the obstacle course for Red Team!"

Then a protected chest of some kind could unlock at the corresponding team base.

I actually love this idea. Is it possible to do? I am planning to have three prize boxes, maybe that teams "obstacle course first place" box could unlock if they win it, or second place etc.

/modreq plz make this happen! I'll make boxes you make magic mystery chests!

Guest Former Staff

I actually love this idea. Is it possible to do? I am planning to have three prize boxes, maybe that teams "obstacle course first place" box could unlock if they win it, or second place etc.

/modreq plz make this happen! I'll make boxes you make magic mystery chests!

If the winners are announced in an automated fashion, so that the mini-games themselves do not require moderating then admin locked chests could then be unlocked at the corresponding base for the winners team by an admin.

These locked chests could be tucked away within the team spawns so you could have three prize chests per mini-game for example.

That is my favorite. We should do that. I'll come up with the fancy winners boxes so that the game can be left alone (no need for baby sitting) - if someone can help/do the automated announcement thing? I don't know if I have permissions for that, and even if I did I wouldn't know where to begin (but I can learn!!!)

Going to be honest, not sure how to do it with current plugins without additional tech magic ._.  If it's a one-time obstacle course, maybe set up some redstone circuitry so that when one player walks down a path to the first place chest, a door closes behind them and another one to the second place chest opens, and similarly for when someone walks down a path to the second place chest?  I can try to piece an idea together but I'm not too good at making circuitry compact - a redstone engineer would be more familiar with it and can probably build it faster :O

EDIT: If all that's needed is a sign that's punched to announce completion similar to how portal discoveries are announced on P (can only handle player who hits the sign as well as a message, don't think it can count up for first, second, third place), that's trivial.

Edited by buzzie71

Guest Former Staff

Going to be honest, not sure how to do it with current plugins without additional tech magic ._.  If it's a one-time obstacle course, maybe set up some redstone circuitry so that when one player walks down a path to the first place chest, a door closes behind them and another one to the second place chest opens, and similarly for when someone walks down a path to the second place chest?  I can try to piece an idea together but I'm not too good at making circuitry compact - a redstone engineer would be more familiar with it and can probably build it faster :O

This idea works well: We could then reset the minigame by having a lever than can only be used in modmode to re-open the final door. It would require moderation of the minigames though, to some degree.

I'm not worried about counting up from first. I'll have three auto locking winners boxes to prevent cheating. So we'd need 6 signs to punch (one in each box, and in each box one for each team color)

Also, what if in each winners box there was a secret code. They could modreq that code to claim their prize. That would leave all need for game moderation out of it. Wouldn't really even need a punch-sign in that case, unless we wanted to announce the winners publicly :)

Guest Former Staff

I'm not worried about counting up from first. I'll have three auto locking winners boxes to prevent cheating. So we'd need 6 signs to punch (one in each box, and in each box one for each team color)

Also, what if in each winners box there was a secret code. They could modreq that code to claim their prize. That would leave all need for game moderation out of it. Wouldn't really even need a punch-sign in that case, unless we wanted to announce the winners publicly :)

The code works well and multiple winner boxes! Could be the password for unlocking each chest, save modreqs entirely!