New Server Type Suggestions

dizney07

We've seen signs of nerd expanding beyond the C/S/P (and sometimes Chaos) model, but there's still no real place to put our suggestions/ideas. I wanted to request a new sub forum where players can post their ideas, get critiqued, and see what could be popular. Even though I've been inactive as of late, I have quite a few server ideas stored away such as: A guild focused RPG server based around capturing other guilds capitals, an RPG style server based around killing bosses to advance further within the world, an apocalyptic style server based around a world ravaged by nuclear war, a server focusing on underwater survival, and the list goes on. Obviously all have their flaws and we can't have 500 servers, but I think it would be cool to have an area to put ideas without having to clutter the main forum. A simple way that these could be organized:

- Idea Name (Topic Title) 

- PvP/No PvP (Tag)

- Poll (Would you play on this server: Yes/No)

- Idea Description 

Also, an idea I had recently that ties into this is to add a 4th community voted server. After ideas are posted in the sub forum, the more popular and feasible ideas could be brought to a community vote to see what gets put into effect. If these server types lasted about 3 months each, and we gave about a month for building/prep time, we could have around 3 different server types be put up in a year. With the change in server types we could also see an increase in new players discovering nerd while adding new and fresh ideas to gameplay. 

• Upvote 1

I guess those options work, but how many different sites and sources do we need to have? I never understood the reason for a uservoice when adding another subforum that's still located in the same place as everything else and is frequently visited seems easier. How many players visit the uservoice consistently?

The thread I think is a good step, maybe start it as a thread? I don't want to make a thread with like 8 long responses though. Hmm.

• Upvote 1

In regards to another server it should be something that isn't done anywhere else. What that is will be hard to pin down but copying something else has never been our style. Traditionally what made this server great was the making new things aspect. I understand that development of minecraft mods isn't the same as the wild west days of minecraft but maybe we should bat around on how to combine plugins in a unique way or something else entirely.

Regarding the other threads and user voice my opinion is everything should be on the forums here, dump the other sites besides reddit completely. The reddit comments shouldn't be considered the "on the record comments" more like a chat room. It is very temporary anyway and its more anonymous.

It doesn't cost money to make new threads and bat them around for a while. They free. New threads should be created when the old ones die or get too long. The OP or someone early in the thread should just post the best ideas from the last ones if they can find them. No more than a few sentances to sum up though because otherwise no one will read it.

• Upvote 1

I would be in favor of this, but it would have to be executed well, we already have a ton of suggestions floating around with no real direction. I'm all for trying new things across the board with the servers.

• Upvote 1

I would really like to see some sort of RP server. With chat limited to areas around you (like a direct chat), and clanchats that are globally heard by members. Sort of like PVE but with a medieval theme like mine craft has always felt like. There could be a possible sort of faction system, and pvp could be enabled for people at war (similar to admin hunt where only certain individuals are able to be hurt). With these factions have sort of a "[2clan5me] Difficult1: hello" for global chat. This type of server could defiantly work with some mods as well, perhaps a technic pack. I think it would be a really cool and unique server type that will attract outside attention.

I think I agree that more structure is needed, but not at the expense of adding too many restrictions to the sandbox than are currently present, the gameplay needs to be as player generated as possible. MC has always lacked a backbone, you have to set your own goals and multiplayer is at it's best when this "roleplay" combines into larger more social conflict or co-operation. The people and the setup on S used to spontaneously generate these moments, but like most things returns are diminishing and I don't recognize the direction of the server or the type of player I'll find on there (on the rare occasion there's more than 5 people on). Clearly thinking of a new server is about replacing S, hopefully also preserving some of its core focus on smart building,  ruthless freedom and heart pounding PVP, all of which are more important than holding onto the name or legacy of a dead thing.

I think we can do this with vanilla or very lightly moded MC, in a world of custom servers it's refreshingly accessible and smooth running. We need to set goals for building, fighting, intriguing and mining like those that naturally fall into place during the ctf event, but unlike ctf these goals need to be higher and harder to reach so they last a whole rev and maybe less time focused so people who only play for a few hours a week can still make a difference. My pitch on how do this is about manipulating the map and players access to it, then letting them decide which incentives they want to work towards and co-ordianting those incentives so that different choices enhance one another. I'll repost an idea I had about implementing this after last Summers civcraft rev:

"Split the map into three regions. The biggest one is S as it exists now, the other two will have a city built on them and at the end of the rev these cities destroy each other.

Note this MS paint masterpiece,  http://imgur.com/Aq5W681

Islands A and B essentially have P’s rule set (but rather than PVP or grief resulting in a ban, the offender is pearled), don't freak out they're pretty small. These areas are for the more social play styles, for people who want to build something cool and use it in PVP when it’s done. We’ll need to nominate a player or a small group of players to oversee the building of a city on each island and the construction of defences. People will need to work together to strengthen their city or set out to explore the wastes of islands C.

Island C is for PVP. Hiding, raiding looting ect. It has ore plumps and nether portals that A-B do not. As someone who plays mostly on this island it’s the same deal as last rev except maybe one of the cities wants my resources or pvp skills. Maybe I feel like allying with a city or maybe not. Perhaps the players on Islands C decide to wipe out both cities.

The islands would be linked together with warps. Warps from a skybox spawn to  A, B or C and warps between A/C and B/C (squares and circles in da pic).

Say the rev lasts for 2 months. The first 6 weeks would be set-up after which the current S rev's rules go global. Which city survives the next two weeks? The one with the biggest defences or the best traps? The sneakiest invasion plans? The one that bribed the most pvp’ers?

This is mish mash of what’s made S, P and the CTF events good. It could well be sucky and unworkable. At the very least it’s something different."

-how are you even meant to quote yourself?

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 1

These suggestions are great, but most of them require a lot of work, time, and admin and technical staff willing to see the project to completion.

If the issue is workload we need to appoint more staff or do more to take on board technical contributions from non-staff. The whole point of  admin roles is for there to be people who are willing and able to take the executive choices about how to bring a project together and how to complete it. I don't know if it's workload, lack of compelling ideas or lack of intent, but there should be no reason that a community of our size and background can't be ambitious. 

• Upvote 2