Funding Concerns

I wish I had the irc logs of an earlier conversation, but I'll summarize below what I said then:

As I said, our current box is good for the price we pay ( $238 ). Alternatives would be SingleHop and FutureServers however for the amount of ram we currently have neither host can beat SecuredServers on price. We could look at moving to OVH if we wanted to change the landscape of our server a bit but there is little incentive at the moment. We could look at moving back to Incero where we originally were hosted some 3-4 years ago, but we were unhappy enough with them to move, moving back wouldn't be a decision made lightly.

Now I know why you were asking me for US dedi hosts. I actually meant FutureHosting. FutureServers is overpriced (and not the same).

SingleHop is absolutely outstanding. Their network and hardware are second only to Rackspace and Softlayer (which are probably way out of nerd.nu's price point, but I'd recommend them nontheless).

I wouldn't recommend Incero because while I haven't used them myself, everyone I know has problems with Gordon (the owner) for some reason. The DC they're in, SecuredServers, is where nerd.nu is now.

Edited by Aeyrix
  • Upvote 1

(Ex-)sysadmin here!

Garbage.

Their "North American" IP is owned by OVH. OVH don't have anything in North America. Their closest DC is in Beauharnois, Quebec, Canada. The peering information for the test IP they provide (192.99.14.127) shows it most certainly is in Canada.

Canada is in North America.

You said the DC is in Beauharnois, QC. That's just south of Montreal. The location highlighted in that map looks around as far north of Montreal as Florida is south of it. Quebec is big.

It's also a map of submarine cables, and doesn't have any representation of overland connections.

Montreal is close to all the major Northeastern US cities and is closely connected to plenty of North American backbones. It's also a short hop from the main transatlantic cables running from Nova Scotia.

You said the DC is in Beauharnois, QC. That's just south of Montreal. The location highlighted in that map looks around as far north of Montreal as Florida is south of it. Quebec is big.

It's also a map of submarine cables, and doesn't have any representation of overland connections.

Montreal is close to all the major Northeastern US cities and is closely connected to plenty of North American backbones. It's also a short hop from the main transatlantic cables running from Nova Scotia.

The point was that they are not (at all) the same place. There is a distance between current location and BHS of approximately 2,500 miles.

While I don't personally reside in the United States, route traces from various servers I own around that country show a (noticeable for a game like Minecraft) difference. Obviously, they're all overland connections. I'm glad you noted that the only important metric is the lack of overland connections, showing once again that the United States is the only country that matters.

From my country to the Phoenix versus my country to Quebec, it's about 100ms difference.

Edited by Aeyrix

I'm glad you noted that the only important metric is the lack of overland connections, showing once again that the United States is the only country that matters.

From my country to the Phoenix versus my country to Quebec, it's about 100ms difference.

I don't know how you can claim I didn't account for metrics other than overland connections when I specifically called out the Beauharnois DC's proximity to transatlantic cables. And thanks for assuming that I think the U.S. is the only country that matters, but I'm actually in Canada... which is why I took offense at your earlier implication that Canada isn't part of North America, and that a server hosted in Canada is somehow inherently worse-connected than one hosted in the U.S.

From your country to Phoenix is about 100ms better than from your country to Quebec... okay. And I bet there are other countries where it would be the other way around. So, is there not a case here that you're actually the one ignoring the existence of other countries than your own?

Guest Former Staff

Can we get a status update on the issue, Barlimore?

Something has come up for me, taking away my attention right now so if someone else wishes to contact them to extract those details then feel free to do so. If no-one does so then I should be able to look into this from Thursday.

Guest Former Staff

Alright. sounds good. You will know what to ask and understand specifics better than I would. 

I've contacted them today, just waiting to hear back now, I'll post a follow up once they return my query.

On the side of bringing in more funds, I have a few ideas:

• Make the donation link on the reddit page bigger and closer to the top.  It should be an easy to find button.  I would even suggest status colors so we know if we are keeping up with costs, or in trouble, or in crisis.  I am not a heavy player, but I really love the servers, and I would have donated earlier if I would have known we were falling behind.
  • Offer special events/celebrations within the servers with mini-funding goals.  For example an admin dunking booth or something silly like that.  
  • I agree that pay-to-win is bad, but what about paying to get a choice of a special, fun object that doesn't really help you, it's just a special thing - a special edition picture, a pink rabbit, a pet creeper.  
  • Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

Can we get a status update on the issue, Barlimore?

I received a reply back, this host does not offer dedicated servers unfortunately and subsequently did not share the hardware specifications.