[PMC] Ban Appeal Response Time

This topic is aimed at anyone who has ever banned a person form the servers. For anyone else, please ignore this post for the most part. ;-)

I tend to spend a lot of time on the forums and have taken to maintaining the ban appeals section. Where possible I will reply to ban appeals where needed to post ban information for active bans, edit the title of the appealer where needed to include the correct individual or group (such as head admins) including informing the poster of the change so they do not edit the title back, move ban appeals that the appealer does not respond back to their instructions after 4 weeks of no response from them and I have been handling appeals for former staff.

One thing I would like to do is to address the lack of responses that appeals from individuals are experiencing in a timely manner from those labled in the current staff category. I re-posted a suggestion here for addressing some part of this so I would appreciate a response regarding that. However in some cases I see ban appeals not responded to for a significant time-frame.

My questions to all is how comfortable would you feel if I were to drop you a pm or short message somewhere if I see you haven't responded to a ban appeal within a reasonable response time, as a reminder / notification? And what would you consider to be that reasonable response time?

Following on from that suggestion, assuming all are happy with that process for the interests of those trying to appeal a ban, I would then reply in the ban appeal itself to let the appealer know of a notification sent to that staff member. Failing a response then within a further reasonable time frame, we would need to have a way to escalate the appeal to someone else (possibly an admin) to handle for a response.

I feel the "Current staff" category needs attention, more than the appeal process.

I have no issue with your suggestion, honestly I would expect a 24 hour turnaround time for the whole process, I've heard a lot of player dissatisfaction and ridicule over "I'll reply to this later" posts that respond to the player, but don't move towards a resolution of the ban

In a perfect world I would like to see a way to attach screenshots/evidence to an account such that anyone should be able to handle the appeal process, not just a moderator who may not check the forums all that often

(IRC is a really good way to be notified of new appeals, where are you all?? )

Guest Former Staff

(IRC is a really good way to be notified of new appeals, where are you all?? )

IRC is really handy, sometimes it alerts me (from my set-up) that the -mods channel has something to share and it's a ban appeal. Out of pure curiosity, what is the reason for the delay between a ban appeal being posted and the appeals bot notifying us in the channel?

honestly I would expect a 24 hour turnaround time for the whole process, I've heard a lot of player dissatisfaction and ridicule over "I'll reply to this later" posts that respond to the player, but don't move towards a resolution of the ban

I feel that people deserve a swifter response time average to ban appeals than we have been providing and I'm not interested in routing out those who are replying too slow, instead I just want to help out as I visit the forums frequently. Make use of people like me who are active on the forums, which is the crux of my suggestion, to improve response times.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Former Staff

I'm closing this topic given that Schererererer has updated the ban appeals policy with the following line:

"If the banning moderator has not responded to your appeal after 48 hours you may make a post (bump) in your appeal to bring attention to it. At this point (48 hours of no response), any staff member may attempt to contact the banning moderator and if no response is received in 24 hours, said staff member may take over to expedite the appeal."

Moving to our closed private mod chat forum for the meantime.