[AC] CS:GO Server

Mrloud15

Hello everyone, 

We would like to get a CS:GO server up asap, jchance has said he will pay for it for the time being. The only thing preventing this from happening right now is that we don't have anyone to set it up, so if you can, or know of someone who can, setup a CS:GO server, please comment here or contact the heads.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Former Staff

Redwall_hp will be looking into setting up a Counter Strike: Global Offensive server as I believe he has some past experience with setting up other steam games.

Redwall_hp will be looking into setting up a Counter Strike: Global Offensive server as I believe he has some past experience with setting up other steam games.

I would just like to express my extreme frustration here. I offered to set one up weeks ago as well as TF2 and GMod but instead we sat around and it has gone nowhere. When confronting the techs/heads about it I was promtly told "only techs get box access", well if the techs can't do there bloody job then this needs to be changed. We have been waiting months for a CSGO Server, either get on it or give it to someone who is willing to do it ASAP.

Guest Former Staff

I would just like to express my extreme frustration here. I offered to set one up weeks ago as well as TF2 and GMod but instead we sat around and it has gone nowhere. When confronting the techs/heads about it I was promtly told "only techs get box access", well if the techs can't do there bloody job then this needs to be changed. We have been waiting months for a CSGO Server, either get on it or give it to someone who is willing to do it ASAP.

Sadly I can't speak for your frustration over the past few weeks but the latest is that Redwall should have everything he needs to set this up now, provided Deaygo managed to catch him. My recommendation is to seek our Redwall to discuss this in more detail: I've never played that game so I'm not familiar with it (though I have bought it ready for when the community is playing it).

So, status update time: the CS:GO server is coming along pretty well so far. I've been working on configuration, and writing some scripts, etc.. Presently, the player limit should be 24-ish and the game type is Classic Casual (as this is the most popular mode, it made sense to go with that).

Admin Alpha Testing

If anyone would like to give it a try and see how it's coming so far, maybe offer suggestions and feedback, the server is up and password protected. (Unless I'm working on stuff, then don't be surprised if it's down or derpy  :tongue:)

Hostname: csgo.nerd.nu

Password: goaway

Of course, divulging this information to anyone outside of the admin team will result in global thermonuclear warfare. So keep it on the down low.

Try it out if you want, solo or with some others. Bots are dynamically added when it's emptyish.

Maps

Currently, I've set up a map set (visible in the "call vote" interface) that includes Valve's "active duty" maps as well as some old favorites that aren't in the present Valve rotation (but still ship with the game). The present list:

de_aztec
de_bank
de_cache
de_cbble
de_dust
de_dust2
de_favela
de_inferno
de_mirage
de_nuke
de_overpass
de_seaside
de_season
de_train
de_vertigo
cs_italy
cs_militia
cs_motel
cs_office

If you have any suggestions for maps to add, they're more than welcome. (Maps with the de_ or cs_ prefix are recommended for the Classic gamemode.)

SourceMod and Admin Access

The stock game server does not allow anyone without access to the server console to issue kicks, bans, or otherwise moderate the server. While I don't foresee a great need for this sort of attention, since much of the game is self policing, there will be times when it will be better if someone other than a tech admin can come on and ban somebody. For this reason, I'm looking into the possibility of installing SourceMod, which will add some more management facilities (as well as a plugin architecture) and a rudimentary permissions system. This will mean certain SteamIDs could be given permission to access limited commands (through chat triggers like !kick user and the in-game console accessed with the tilde key), enabling kicking and banning.

Unless there are objections, I'd like to limit this to admins (server/head/event/tech) who wish to be added, for two reasons. 1. The technical hassle of keeping the list up to date and synchronized with our large and constantly in-flux moderator list (on a different physical server, no less) 2. Sadly, quite a few of our moderators like their "joke kicks" too much. Doing that in a competitive FPS match would be abusive, and a recipe for very nasty conflicts. Given that FPS games tend to bring out the worst in people, not spreading that power around seems prudent. (Related note: it's shocking how easily people in Mumble can lapse into homophobic speech prohibited by our rules when you throw an FPS into the mix. I've had to remind players of that more than once in the past.) Besides, admins are usually available on IRC and the timezones are well covered if an issue arises.

Of course, this definitely merits discussion, and I'd love feedback from the heads on this topic. Personally, I think in-game bans won't be something we'll have to worry about too frequently (though I could be horribly wrong), but Mumble moderation will likely require more vigilance.

Guest Former Staff
Unless there are objections, I'd like to limit this to admins (server/head/event/tech) who wish to be added, for two reasons. 1. The technical hassle of keeping the list up to date and synchronized with our large and constantly in-flux moderator list (on a different physical server, no less) 2. Sadly, quite a few of our moderators like their "joke kicks" too much. Doing that in a competitive FPS match would be abusive, and a recipe for very nasty conflicts. Given that FPS games tend to bring out the worst in people, not spreading that power around seems prudent. (Related note: it's shocking how easily people in Mumble can lapse into homophobic speech prohibited by our rules when you throw an FPS into the mix. I've had to remind players of that more than once in the past.) Besides, admins are usually available on IRC and the timezones are well covered if an issue arises.

Of course, this definitely merits discussion, and I'd love feedback from the heads on this topic. Personally, I think in-game bans won't be something we'll have to worry about too frequently (though I could be horribly wrong), but Mumble moderation will likely require more vigilance.

Personally, I think this is a good initial framework to start with for moderating the server but given our "a moderator is a moderator for all our services" ethos, we would need to look into expanding some moderation permissions to our moderator team. With an additional server to maintain and our admin team not growing substancially to suppliment the additional work required (however little that may be) then ultimately we will need to trust and rely on our moderators.

Redwall_hp, during the recent meeting you mentioned some form of rules / conduct to be established for the server and I think you're right about mumble being central to what we will need to keep clean.

In terms of testing out the server, I'll try to find some time to do this.

Guest Former Staff

In terms of testing out the server, I'll try to find some time to do this.

I just did some testing.

While bots are active on the server, if you die you can control one of them.

zp1piCfh.jpg

Our map ended after 11 rounds.

txVxqhgh.jpg

After the map ended, we could vote on the next map. Since I was the only one voting... let's just say I got my wish.

zEd2nozh.jpg

Each map starts with a warmup period of approximately 55 seconds.

AGJ3umVh.jpg

You can choose which team you're on and switch teams too.

csou8qph.jpg

After 2 rounds of the new map, I initiated a vote to move on. We view the message of the day once a new map is initiated.

diZWcINh.jpg

Not entirely sure what the gifts are referring to (the box above the "warmup countdown").

inuyFtth.jpg

I'm still learning this game, so if you would like something more specific tested, let me know.

Nice, Barlimore. Seems to be working as expected so far.

• Nice catch on the bots. It took me way too long to figure out you could take over bots in CS:GO, since this wasn't a feature in CS:Source. :P
  • It has "clinch" mode on, which means you don't have to play the full 15 rounds on a map if one team has won enough rounds to make it unwinnable to the other. (e.g. if your team wins 8 rounds and the other wins 0, it will end, since the other team mathematically couldn't catch up.)
  • The gift dialogues are some sort of Valve game-wide alert.

I do have SourceMod installed now and have been doing some configuration and testing related to that.

Guest Former Staff

Redwall_hp, I want to run something with you in regards to our testing. SwitchViewz would like to test with a group of people who are familiar with the gameplay of Counter Strike: Global Offensive  and can run a few matches, looking out for things that we're not familiar with.

Hostname: csgo.nerd.nu

Password: goaway

Of course, divulging this information to anyone outside of the admin team will result in global thermonuclear warfare. So keep it on the down low.

Would you be ok with allowing Socarch26 & Zburdal from our moderators join a few matches to help us make sure we have everything covered? I'd like to ensure we have someone experienced with the game involved with the testing.

Um, sure, I guess. Do they have a time in mind? It's obviously better with more people, so maybe we should schedule some sort of internal testing time and get a bunch of admins and mods familiar with the game together. Whoever wants to give it a go. (You get a better feel for gameplay with people instead of bots, and it'll give a better picture of resource utilization under a higher player load.) It would also probably be best if I could be around to monitor the server and pick up feedback (and fix any showstopping issues), though not 100% necessary if scheduling doesn't work out. Thoughts?

I play a bit of CS (GO, Source and 1.6), jchance has done a bit, SwitchViewz plays, and I think Deaygo might play as well.

But yeah, I'm fine with letting mods in at this point, so long as it stays staff-only and it's made clear that server details are to be kept confidential.

Guest Former Staff

Um, sure, I guess. Do they have a time in mind? It's obviously better with more people, so maybe we should schedule some sort of internal testing time and get a bunch of admins and mods familiar with the game together. Whoever wants to give it a go. (You get a better feel for gameplay with people instead of bots, and it'll give a better picture of resource utilization under a higher player load.) It would also probably be best if I could be around to monitor the server and pick up feedback (and fix any showstopping issues), though not 100% necessary if scheduling doesn't work out. Thoughts?

I play a bit of CS (GO, Source and 1.6), jchance has done a bit, SwitchViewz plays, and I think Deaygo might play as well.

But yeah, I'm fine with letting mods in at this point, so long as it stays staff-only and it's made clear that server details are to be kept confidential.

Sounds good. We have the new S revision coming up shortly so possibly sometime on Sunday we could just see who is available and give a shoutout to mods / admins to be ready to jump in game. Which times would be best for you to be around to monitor the server performance?

Guest Former Staff

This coming Sunday, or next? Because that would be short notice if it's this Sunday. Best time overlap would probably be around 7-8PM EST for you, since that's not-too-disgustingly-early-morning here and evening for you. (AEST is +14 hours)

That would be around 12am - 1am my time in the UK. :-P

Sunday would have been the nearest time I might have been able to dedicate some time to testing while you're there but if you could let us know of a reasonable time that isn't too short notice for yo then I'm sure we can find some people to join in. For the meantime I'll ask SwitchViewz to go ahead with Socarch26 and Zburdsal testing for things I have missed in my testing.

Ah, you're in the UK. That complicates if more, lol. Wednesday or Thursday my time might work all right, providing there's a bit of advance notice (keeping in mind international date line :p). I can be a bit flexible with the time, depending on what works.

Progress update:

• Various minor tweaks and enhancements
  • 95% finished with my automatic update system (which will prevent the need for manual server updates every two days when Valve adds more cash grabs weapon skins)
  • Thorough logging is in place (connections, chat, kicks, bans, etc)

Edit: Automatic update script is fully functional

The server now has an announcement rotation, much like on the Minecraft servers. Every two minutes (configurable, though two minutes works out to roughly one message per round) a message is picked out of a cycling list and displayed to the user in the chat pane.

jLdaHuw.jpg

The first message in the list is given special treatment, though. Since it's self-promotional in nature, ensuring new players know which server they're playing on and encouraging them to visit our forums, it's rendered in a little callout box.

9x33PJd.jpg

So far, there are only three messages. The two pictured, and "don't forget to blink."  :tongue:

As always, feedback and suggestions for the announcements are welcome.

I also dropped in a silly "Zeus Round" plugin that can be invoked by a command (only accessible with sufficient permission level), which saves everyone's weapons and money, then makes the next round a quick team death match with only tasers and knives. (Weapons and money are reverted to their prior state after the round ends.) Just a silly bonus feature to be used with discretion, obviously. Now, back to more serious stuff.   :wink:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another progress update...

SourceBans

Since the stock Source server ban management tools are...lackluster, we're now running on SourceBans. This system saves the information we need to efficiently process appeals, and makes it far easier to ban and unban players. It includes a web panel that displays ban information, as well as letting you manage bans in the system, and in-game commands as well. Additionally, Sourcebans works with multiple Source game servers (which will be useful if we end up adding, say, a TF2 server down the line) and even synchronizes in-game permissions between the servers.

Banning a player can be done with the /ban <player> <duration> <reason> command, an option in the in-game moderation menu, or via a page in the web panel.

When a player is banned, they'll be able to appeal normally at nerd.nu/appeal. A staff member will then look up the ban info on Sourcebans, as we currently do with MCBouncer for Minecraft bans, and post them in a detail post as usual.

In-Game Permissions

I've been working out the permission groups for staff members, and the commands that are available to them. I think I mostly have it nailed down for now, though some things might still be shuffled around a little before or after launch.

We have three in-game groups: techadmins, admins and moderators. The last group gets basic access to bans, kicks, mutes and various special chat options to aid in moderation. (e.g. chat to all players—regardless of team or dead/alive status, send a private message directly to a player, or broadcast a message in an alert box to all players.) Admins will have some additional commands available to be used when appropriate, such as the ability to force a map change or trigger the "Zeus Round" mentioned in my previous post. (Also, the ability to poll players with arbitrary vote dialogues via /vote <question> <answer> <answer> <answer>...) The techadmin group, as you'd expect, allows deeper access for convenience of administration and debugging.

Features for slaying/harming/etc players have been intentionally disabled, as they directly disrupt gameplay. (CS:GO's gameplay is mostly self-policing, and anything that merits moderator action merits a warning or ban.)

In order to be added to in-game permissions, a staff member will have to have a Sourcebans account created by a tech, and they will have to supply their SteamID so the system can identify them in-game. My plan is to have admins (who wish to be added) added by launch time, and after we've had time to see how things go, and iron out any issues, we can start adding moderators as needed.

Screenshot Time

The moderation shortcut menu accessed by /admin:

GKqNqYe.jpg

Banned!

Nz5y1KC.jpg

A ban record on SourceBans:

Ah1DReG.png

Banning a player via the web panel:

0J3tzpr.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...I think the server is more or less ready to ship on schedule. We've hit the point where we just need to prepare to throw the switch and hope all goes well. I still have a moderation guidelines proposal I'm drafting, along with a rundown of commands, but other than that we're nearly ready. (I have a couple more things to add and work on, but they can wait until after launch.) \o/

So the next step: getting you admins all on the permission system before we go live. Whichever of you who have CS:GO and want in-game permissions, send me a PM with:

1. Your SteamID (http://steamidfinder.com)

2. The email address you want associated with your Sourcebans account

I'll create an account for you on Sourcebans and you'll have permissions in-game to ban, kick, send broadcasts, etc..

I'd like to get all the CS:GO-playing admins set up before launch, so there's a reasonable pool of people who can hop on and intervene if something needs to be moderated. From there, we can work on opening it up to the moderators as we smooth things out from the policy side. (This is a whole different animal from Minecraft, and figuring out how to treat it from a moderation standpoint will be a learning process.)

For Barlimore and/or Mrloud: if you'd like to talk launch date, maybe collaborate on the aforementioned moderation document and public announcement, give me a shout on IRC.

Guest Former Staff

Based on the discussion that Redwall_hp and I are having on IRC, we'll be aiming to go live on either Friday 31st July / Saturday 1st August with a public announcement one week prior.

Guest Former Staff

I have the CSGO Tournament ready to rock and roll. I would like to request that I can see a draft of the announcement post so that I may include a section about the tournament.

I'll have it typed up by the end of Thursday for you to include a section about the tournament. Aiming to share the announcement towards the end of Friday 24th (during / after the fireside chat).