Creative Revision 29 Map Poll

Bardidley

Creative Revision 29 Map Poll  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you want the revisions to be?

• 4 to 5 months
    • I sure could use more time on developing my warp! Make it about 6 months!
    • Shorter! How about 2 months?
    • Undecided/Don't really care
  2. 2. Pre-made warps - Part 1 - Select all the pre-made warps you wish to see! (or keep)

• BigTown!
    • Pixel Art!
    • Redstone Playground!
    • WE Tutorial!
    • Spawn City! (Same plot based city system)
    • A Plot Playground?
    • PvP!
    • a 5k??!?!
    • Spleef? (NEVAstop pls)
    • Other (Comment this choice!)
  3. 3. Pre-made warps - Part 2 - Select the ones that you want to see have their own world! (Not fully guaranteed)

• BigTown
    • Pixel Art
    • Redstone Playground
    • Spawn City
    • Plot Playground? (If it does happen, I don't think there's a choice but to put it only in another world)
  4. 4. Pre-made warps - Part 3 - Do you want (most of) these warps to be player made? (If so, elaborate in comments!)

• Yeah! That would be great!
    • Nah, the way it is now is okay. Surprise me!
    • I'm torn!/Don't really care either way! \o/
  5. 5. World Edit - New system?

• WE could be deactivated for the first few weeks so we can get some cool original builds set up first!
    • What if WE was activated in one map and deactivated in another?
    • What if WE was activated on one part of the map and deactivated on the other? (Doesn't hurt to dream)
    • Nah screw changes, jchance did it right! WE for everyone all day erry day!
    • I'm cool with anything/No comment
  6. 6. Games and Events! (That don't take place on Event)

• I want more Speed Build! (Guaranteed!)
    • Can we have some sort of race or something?
    • Minigames!
    • Special PvP arenas!
  7. 7. Pre-made Map Things

• Cardinal roads would be a nice come back.
    • CTA? (If not, I'm sure Challenger2 always has a plan)
    • Highways!
    • Hm... map secrets? They're like spawn secrets but... map.
    • Leave my precious map alone! Give me a clean slate!
    • I could care less/No opinion
  8. 8. Biomes Biomes and Biomes - Biomes

• Give me a mix of everything!
    • Give me a mix of everything, but much bigger drastic biomes!
    • I want more plains than the others.
    • Anything but mesas. Mesas suck.
    • Whatever the wonderful Cadmins give us - I don't care/have no opinion.
  9. 9. The map size and shape! - How many expansions?

• Standard map expansion and size would be fine, thanks.
    • Hey PvE has a circle map, why don't we?
    • Why not a huge big map with no expansions, just big from the start.
  10. 10. Community builds? (Run with staff help to keep them alive, perhaps?)

• How about we dig a giant hole then dome it!
    • Well... Spawn City like mentioned above!
    • Other - Because Taco ran out of ideas. (Comment this choice!)

We have begun the process of creating a new map for Creative Revision 29!

The Cadmin team would like to gather your input on what the next map will look like. Please vote on the series of questions, if you have additional input feel free to comment.

~The Cadmins

• Upvote 3

What ever happened to the really speedy speed builds?

The competition type ones where you get 10-30m to build a subject!

I really liked those, and found them really entertaining (also noticed a lot more people participate in those kind vs. the week-long ones.)

Community builds are cool, I liked the old spawn town you guys had running last rev-- I think it looks a lot better than derpmesa.

• Upvote 1

I really liked those, and found them really entertaining (also noticed a lot more people participate in those kind vs. the week-long ones.)

Community builds are cool, I liked the old spawn town you guys had running last rev-- I think it looks a lot better than derpmesa.

Hollifer, we're doing weekly Speed Build starting June 13th. It'll be exactly like you said. Three rounds, each 10-15 minutes long. 

See THIS post for more info!

• Upvote 1

Games and events other:

- We could have more very long on going contests set on a theme like we've had this rev where the winner gets some big prize (as it's a very long competition).

- We could make small events such as who made the best statue in big town and best pixel art, these don't really have to have prizes but could be announced and archived on the wiki.

- You could set some competitions where the winning design may play a large role in the next revision's spawn.

- This could come under mini games but more frequent spleef tournaments.

Map size and shape:

- Smaller? I see a lot of empty ground this revision, if we made it smaller it could encourage players to build together more and help build up a bit more of a sense of community within creative.

Community builds:

- I know we have spawn city but why don't we make one very large city each rev that's meant to have a theme not just random builds in plots, we would still have player lead ones but we could have in a way like a capital city of creative haha.

Other comments:

- For the /warp spleef or /warp pvp ect why don't we get pre made ones that are alright, but if someone makes a better one we should just swap them around.

- Different worlds, we could have a sort of retro creative (no fly, no WE, no insta break but still creative inventory) for all the old boring people on creative, we could have the current style world set up as the main world, and we could have a word designed to test new ideas out or new plugins to see how people find them.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 3

Community builds:

- I know we have spawn city but why don't we make one very large city each rev that's meant to have a theme not just random builds in plots, we would still have player lead ones but we could have in a way like a capital city of creative haha.

I'd love that. I usually organise my builds by major block (eg sandstone, woods, stone) and/or by age (medieval, modern, unrealistic).

Also I'd like to have a protected world gen village in spawn or the city, as a link to the mythology or whatever of the game.

Edited by tobylane
  • Upvote 2

Games and events other:

- We could have more very long on going contests set on a theme like we've had this rev where the winner gets some big prize (as it's a very long competition).

- We could make small events such as who made the best statue in big town and best pixel art, these don't really have to have prizes but could be announced and archived on the wiki.

- You could set some competitions where the winning design may play a large role in the next revision's spawn.

- This could come under mini games but more frequent spleef tournaments.

• We tried the ongoing contests that only lasted a month, only a whopping 3 people participated as a whole. But as most say, its lack of advertising, so if we bring it back, we'll be sure to advertise it better!
  • I like the small events thing, it could just be a nice weekly rotation of "best of..." or a mini weekly challenge, and we could perhaps display them on rotation around spawn.
  • That's a great idea, I had a "monument" idea in mind actually. So along the lines of a big part in the next revision, have it be a protected spot in the world. Like, if we were visiting a new planet and see remnants of the past, we'd see that special build hidden there around spawn as a nice little find and tip of the hat to the builder.
  • Spleef tournaments are usually held on PvE as a tradition, such as the spleef club. I wouldn't want to take that away from them, but I suppose we could do our own creative one.

To also be noted, the winners of such events, (we should have much more than we had now...) would also be on display in the trophy world, so even when the possible rotation of a players build is done, that build goes right back to the trophy world to be displayed again.

Map size and shape:

- Smaller? I see a lot of empty ground this revision, if we made it smaller it could encourage players to build together more and help build up a bit more of a sense of community within creative.

• Really? I've seen lots of space taken with builds underneath so that's not a problem. The poll vote so far looks like its pointing to keeping it the same as before, which I think is best.

Community builds:

• That is a great idea, do you mean a Spawn City and a themed Spawn City? Like Spawn City in one place and a Creative Capital, in the other? I like that idea, we should exercise it.

Other comments:

- For the /warp spleef or /warp pvp ect why don't we get pre made ones that are alright, but if someone makes a better one we should just swap them around.

- Different worlds, we could have a sort of retro creative (no fly, no WE, no insta break but still creative inventory) for all the old boring people on creative, we could have the current style world set up as the main world, and we could have a word designed to test new ideas out or new plugins to see how people find them.

• Good idea, we could still have a nicely designed one in case no one wants to build one, but if we think its better, we could swap it!
  • I was going to do that this rev actually, but I only see about 1 out of 5 people who like the idea. While still it's an okay number, we could try it out on a small world to see if its popular enough. I wanted to also do a plot only world, it would be like the overworld, but only with boring ol plots. Funny enough, it's been suggested so much, might as well add it in to appeal to the other side of creative.

Hope this helps

Yes, it does. Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to this poll! The more comments, the more of a better understanding I can get.

• Upvote 1

Map size and shape:

Might be worth saying though that a lot of the map is not what people want. It's been either swamps, mesa, too much really steep/curvy land or too many trees worth the effort to clear. People prefer plains to have a clear slate, but also want small mixes of other biomes in case if they want to build something somewhere in particular.

• Upvote 1

Spleef tournaments are usually held on PvE as a tradition, such as the spleef club. I wouldn't want to take that away from them, but I suppose we could do our own creative one.

Actually creative used to hold spleef competition all the time, maybe not big tournaments but I distinctly remember C45Y hosting several spleef events for creative. It then started to occur on PvE but given that creative has unlimited blocks we were able to make extravagant spleef arenas to host very appealing contests. 

• Upvote 1

Actually creative used to hold spleef competition all the time, maybe not big tournaments but I distinctly remember C45Y hosting several spleef events for creative. It then started to occur on PvE but given that creative has unlimited blocks we were able to make extravagant spleef arenas to host very appealing contests. 

Oh right okay, could get C45Y to do it again. :P We'll see.

Might be worth saying though that a lot of the map is not what people want. It's been either swamps, mesa, too much really steep/curvy land or too many trees worth the effort to clear. People prefer plains to have a clear slate, but also want small mixes of other biomes in case if they want to build something somewhere in particular.

True, I know one thing for sure...

Mesas. Never Again.

At least not around spawn...

• Upvote 3

Map size and shape:

I disagree. Too many people build right up against my borders as is, and if the map was smaller I'd have no desire to build anything large because people's builds would be squished together, especially since half the players don't build anything but cities. I don't want to build with other people, because generally, they don't know what I would want the build to come out looking like, or our styles would clash and it would look terrible/too plain. I have a thing about having people's builds too close to mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with a lot of other people. I like to have decent space around my builds to keep them separate from other people's, otherwise they would mistake a nearby build as mine (which has happened before because of how close the build was to mine).

• Upvote 1

I suggest we don't make part of the map have WE and part of the map not have WE (be it an area with no WE or a time period with no WE) because I worry that the area with no WE will be drastically underused unless none of the areas have WE, and I don't think anyone really wants that.

For community builds, we ought to stick with cities/towns since digging large holes is now trivial (though that doesn't have to stop us from making cities in holes  :wink:). Having them be staff run would make them work much better as it would be easier to (re)move unwanted/ugly builds, which has been a big problem I've faced with previous community projects I've run.

• Upvote 1

I suggest we don't make part of the map have WE and part of the map not have WE (be it an area with no WE or a time period with no WE) because I worry that the area with no WE will be drastically underused unless none of the areas have WE, and I don't think anyone really wants that.

I agree, most of these were suggestions and things that have been brought up in chat anyway. So I threw it in there just because, I personally don't think it's a good idea either. :P

For community builds, we ought to stick with cities/towns since digging large holes is now trivial (though that doesn't have to stop us from making cities in holes  :wink:). Having them be staff run would make them work much better as it would be easier to (re)move unwanted/ugly builds, which has been a big problem I've faced with previous community projects I've run.

We'll keep that in mind!

• Upvote 2

For community builds we could have a solar system that everyone could add their own planet, death star, spaceship, or anything that is space related (this includes media like StarWars and Star Trek!) I hope this idea is taken into consideration, and thanks for taking the time to consider it  :smile:

• Upvote 2

For community builds we could have a solar system that everyone could add their own planet, death star, spaceship, or anything that is space related (this includes media like StarWars and Star Trek!) I hope this idea is taken into consideration, and thanks for taking the time to consider it  :smile:

I tried a personal project like this a very long time ago, unfortunately I never finished it. This sounds like a great plan, I like your idea for having more futuristic build projects, a world with domes kind of reminds me of some kind of moon base ect, could incorporate it into your space project!

• Upvote 1

Whats derpmesa?

• 2 weeks later...

Other maps:

-Citybuild(not prelaid out, but managed to avoid massive scale issues/quality issues/etc)

-PVE/S PLANNING MAP. We've spoken about this a million times since long before we even had multiverse "PVE needs a dedicated area on C so we don't have ridiculous half-builds everywhere" "When will the Cadmins and Padmins deal with this issue that is plaguing C?" "look, now because the staff couldn't get their acts together, there are a million pve planning servers and almost no one on nerd... we've driven them away with our lacking ability to satisfy the needs of our own community" "oh look, still 1 or 2 people planning their pve builds here, why not give them a set area" "we have multiverse now? why not re-invite all these pve people to come back to nerd and use c for their planning in a designated map?"

This has been pretty much the majority consensus of the community for so long... Just make it happen. Stop questioning it, stop battling the concepts of trying to make a sub-server on pve with pretty much all of creatives plugins... Just make it happen. On creative. Bring people back to the community. It's Time.

For the P planning world could there be more leeway given with worldedit plots, could each village/regular player that existed in a previous rev be given a 200x200 plot without needing to make borders? From what I've seen of the planning servers they want a) large world edit areas, b) world edit exporting for schematica c) some natural terrain. There's also at least one museum server, I don't know if we want to serve that kind of thing.

Other maps:

-Citybuild(not prelaid out, but managed to avoid massive scale issues/quality issues/etc)

-PVE/S PLANNING MAP. We've spoken about this a million times since long before we even had multiverse "PVE needs a dedicated area on C so we don't have ridiculous half-builds everywhere" "When will the Cadmins and Padmins deal with this issue that is plaguing C?" "look, now because the staff couldn't get their acts together, there are a million pve planning servers and almost no one on nerd... we've driven them away with our lacking ability to satisfy the needs of our own community" "oh look, still 1 or 2 people planning their pve builds here, why not give them a set area" "we have multiverse now? why not re-invite all these pve people to come back to nerd and use c for their planning in a designated map?"

This has been pretty much the majority consensus of the community for so long... Just make it happen. Stop questioning it, stop battling the concepts of trying to make a sub-server on pve with pretty much all of creatives plugins... Just make it happen. On creative. Bring people back to the community. It's Time.

If multi verse is getting introduced, why doesn't pve make a planning world?

• Upvote 1

If multi verse is getting introduced, why doesn't pve make a planning world?

It's been on creative for a whole revision already Skraps. It's not being "introduced" as for why PVE doesn't make a map for itself, Dumbo has explained this to you already in a different thread. But if I must, i'll do it again.

• PVE's server does not have multiverse, creatives server does.
  • PVE is in survival mode, meaning no unlimited blocks, no flying. Creative has both.
  • While multiverse allows for worlds to have different settings per-world, it's quite obvious that your inventory wont transfer properly between worlds without heavy modifications to the system. Not to mention portal access would be the only fair way to access it as a PVE player. Creative already has a separate inventory from your PVE inventory, and portal entry is not required.
  • PVE and C have different plugins to manage different things. Obviously on C they don't need to lock chests or doors. And on PVE they don't need active worldedit within owned regions. Proposing that PVE simply host its own planning map is going to then require all plugins used on C as well as the plugins used on PVE. But beyond that, plugins don't activate by world with Multiverse, so now everyone on PVE will have access to Worldedit but will be trapped in survival mode. This will also require significantly more resources to run PVE.
  • It is not simply a PVE map, it is Survival and PVE map meaning it is simply for planning in general.

Having the map on Creative will ensure that players have access to everything they would like for testing, prevent unnecessary added plugin modifications, save tons of server resources, cause literately no harm to creative and its functioning performance, increase cross-server relations, prevent the wide array of half-finished buildings that pop up each revision because new PVE towns flock to C for testing as it is.

I'm not sure why you're fighting this, in each of the previous times this suggestion has been brought up, you legitimately are the only person to ever rebuttal against it. But you never provide a reason, only that you feel very against the idea. Please, explain just why we should go through the extra added time, effort, and resources to make it so PVE has a creative mode map with world edit within itself, rather than within creative; the server built for creative mode, that already has world edit, a plot system, and now multiverse which makes it easy to make this happen, and creative is entirely capable of handling it.

• Upvote 1

It's been on creative for a whole revision already Skraps. It's not being "introduced" as for why PVE doesn't make a map for itself, Dumbo has explained this to you already in a different thread. But if I must, i'll do it again.

• PVE's server does not have multiverse, creatives server does.
  • PVE is in survival mode, meaning no unlimited blocks, no flying. Creative has both.
  • While multiverse allows for worlds to have different settings per-world, it's quite obvious that your inventory wont transfer properly between worlds without heavy modifications to the system. Not to mention portal access would be the only fair way to access it as a PVE player. Creative already has a separate inventory from your PVE inventory, and portal entry is not required.
  • PVE and C have different plugins to manage different things. Obviously on C they don't need to lock chests or doors. And on PVE they don't need active worldedit within owned regions. Proposing that PVE simply host its own planning map is going to then require all plugins used on C as well as the plugins used on PVE. But beyond that, plugins don't activate by world with Multiverse, so now everyone on PVE will have access to Worldedit but will be trapped in survival mode. This will also require significantly more resources to run PVE.
  • It is not simply a PVE map, it is Survival and PVE map meaning it is simply for planning in general.

Having the map on Creative will ensure that players have access to everything they would like for testing, prevent unnecessary added plugin modifications, save tons of server resources, cause literately no harm to creative and its functioning performance, increase cross-server relations, prevent the wide array of half-finished buildings that pop up each revision because new PVE towns flock to C for testing as it is.

I'm not sure why you're fighting this, in each of the previous times this suggestion has been brought up, you legitimately are the only person to ever rebuttal against it. But you never provide a reason, only that you feel very against the idea. Please, explain just why we should go through the extra added time, effort, and resources to make it so PVE has a creative mode map with world edit within itself, rather than within creative; the server built for creative mode, that already has world edit, a plot system, and now multiverse which makes it easy to make this happen, and creative is entirely capable of handling it.

Honestly I was putting the idea forward as it would allow PvE players to remain on the same server as presumably their friends allowing them to talk to each other at all times, I don't see how portals would be needed, the main concern with my idea is that is would require a lot of tech work. It would also stop creative from pulling away from what it has always intended to be which is a free build server and not a test server. I've never seen a problem with PvE making test builds on creative there aren't very many anyway it's just adding a thing to creative that drags it one step closer to losing it's original intention. You can still test on creative without a complete new world, but you are right Dumbo has explained that it'd be easier on creative so go for it. Just thought it'd be nice for P players to still be able to be on their own server and so not have to keep swapping servers all the time when they want to test things there's no need for a hostile tone in your reply. 

Yes it would allow them to remain on their own server, but swaping maps is much the same as swapping servers as it stands currently typing "/creative", "/pve" will go through the same transition effect that "/warp pveplanning" "/warp pvemain" would do. you're right about the chatting with their friends thing, but it also seems most of them use clanchat, or even mumble to chat now-a-days. We could make a cross-server plugin for clanchat.

As for creative, it's already far from its original intention. It was intended to be the first server to freely allow us to spawn in and place blocks, flying is not allowed and we are not limited to a predefined region. Creative mode now exists, flying is allowed, and to use world edit, we must have a predefined region... Not to mention plots... Spawncity plots everywhere. The whole idea is trying to cater to players wants and needs more. Not preserving the server in the past.** 

Many C players don't find it entertaining when they are building an ever-expanding build or even just building, and then suddenly their neighboring build is a wide variety of wall corners and storefronts without backs, or 6 different path designs all stacked up vertically. You're right, there aren't many anymore... It was a much bigger problem on revisions 24-26 But what it did bring creative was players, and use during its off hours. However with complaint, most of them got alienated by angry C players, and eventually all of them decided to open their own personal servers to do this on. Having a Planning Map on C will in a sense, invite them back.

**Although I still do agree with you, and like the idea of a map that is in survival mode with damage turned off, we could take like a blank copy of rev 12 and rebuild from the ground up the old fashioned way on one of the multiverse maps. inventory change wouldn't be required because blocks are spawnable so there would be little trouble setting it up.

The cross server clanchat system sounds like it'd be a very fun idea to go with, I will admit we have gone quite far from our original purpose with creative which was to have a creative vanilla server. I don't think I'd mind too much having a planning map for PvE/survival but I'd like to tag it as something other than PvE planning, it could just be a planning thing in general, I mean creative players also do tests for their builds. What I wouldn't want is for creative to slowly change into just a resource for other servers instead of having a unique enjoyable purpose in itself.

• Upvote 1