Spawn Camping

Draykhar

Bottom line if its one person killing you tons. Modreq leave, dont retaliate.

What type of shit environment are you trying to create? Try resolving PvP conflicts with PvP. Players that share your mentality are what make PvP on S non-existent.

• Upvote 4

I never, in ~20 revisions of playing S, had to put more than ten minutes of effort into leaving spawn. Even on the worst occasions when I was fully under attack and had to figure out alternate routes besides the roads, I never had to spend more than 10 minutes getting away from foes. 

Is that a nice time to have to spend? Casual players, the birth of nearly or all new players, are unlikely to accept that. Even if they were leaving another similar server for here that could still put them off.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

If I'm right, I don't think this rule was ever properly sorted out. Giving it a bump so hopefully we can get this rule clear. Imo, "spawn killing" is killing anyone dropping from spawn. Once can be excused, but after that you need to move along. I also feel similar about base camping. Not allowing someone into their base should only be tolerated for a couple of times, anymore than that then either the player needs to move along or a staff member may have to get involved. However when you are letting people get items from their base, then killing them, I think that should be allowed unless you are asked to stop.

Sorry for any bad grammar/sentence structure.

• Upvote 2

In my mind, spawn camping is (more or less) "Sitting in spawn with the intention to kill someone repeatedly before they have left the spawn area". This rev spawn has a lower are that is entirely campable (not the case during last rev, as there was the intermediary zone you could stay at and be out of PVP). Someone mentioned (I believe it was Tharine) that there are two 'spawn' regions this rev: spawn_nopvp and spawn.

If you are repeatedly killing people inside of the 'spawn' protection (ie, after the water drops, but before the area outside of the spawn square) then you are spawn camping.

There would be a few ways to solve this (probably mostly plugin related):

If a player gets X kills within Y minutes inside of the 'spawn' zone, they are camping.

If a player dies X times within Y minutes inside of the 'spawn' zone by another player, they are being 'spawn camped'. Maybe look into automatically respawning them at one of the closer sets of portals if they meet this criteria.

In my opinion, the whole respawning at a different place would be a matter of inconvenience for both the admins and the players, as you may accidentally be spawned somewhere you don't want to be. And for the admins, it may or may not be a pain in the neck to program...I know Java and understand that reprogramming the spawn sequence would be a terrible job to have.

That being said, I think its generally agreed that if a player is being killed right after their PvP protection expires continually, that is spawn camping. That doesn't happen often, and if it does, its reasonable to /modreq it, as it is a violation of the rules.

The bigger issue is basecamping and roadcamping. Roadcamping is difficult because it can be difficult to read nameplates if you are doing so from an archery tower, and you also can never be sure whether that player has armed themself. If a road is being camped, it should be up to the player to seek an alternate route, and not a matter of reportable camping. It is a blanket slaughter, not a targeted assassination.

Basecamping, on the other hand, has to be split into two seperate terms. Camping out in a base to kill the owner is not basecamping. I have been accused of "basecamping" for doing this. Basecamping is camping a base with continous murder of the owner. If that is happening, I believe it is in the rights of the player to /modreq for camping. The argument that if you don't have weapon chests outside your base or you don't have an alternate base then you can't report that is ludicrous. It is simply wrong to say that if you don't have enough PvP assets to counter an attacker, then you deserve to be attacked. Its the same thing as saying that if you get sued in court and you don't have a lawyer, tough luck.  

I think it would be cool if beds were allowed, but in addition it would be ok to grief beds. So if you raid a base you could reset their spawn if you locate their beds.

This would give the defenders a chance to get back in the fight but also gives the attackers the chance to send them back to spawn.

It would prevent most spawn camping. Unless someone destroyed the victims bed then ran to spawn to get them.

It would also add a new aspect of trying to place your bed in the best spot to get back in the game. You would have to change its location if people found out where it was (unless you wanted it to continously be destroyed)

But then again, I'm drunk and that could just be a stupid idea.

Edited by Weazol
  • Upvote 1

Does spawn camping include enderpearling into a tiny little ship in the air and shooting arrows at you right above a road? I came across it last rev.

That would be depending on the situation, if the player would be shoot arrows where the players fall to prevent them from even being able to spawn, that may be spawncamping. If the player just sat above a road and shot at players that went under them, this would not be spawncamping, as only one road was being occupied and there are ways around the player.

• Upvote 1

I think it would be cool if beds were allowed, but in addition it would be ok to grief beds. So if you raid a base you could reset their spawn if you locate their beds.

This would give the defenders a chance to get back in the fight but also gives the attackers the chance to send them back to spawn.

It would prevent most spawn camping. Unless someone destroyed the victims bed then ran to spawn to get them.

It would also add a new aspect of trying to place your bed in the best spot to get back in the game. You would have to change its location if people found out where it was (unless you wanted it to continously be destroyed)

But then again, I'm drunk and that could just be a stupid idea.

This is a cool idea, the ability to spawn back at a base has always captured the attention of some players. However, it might spread out players on the map, which would likely lead to less pvp. 

If someone wanted to pvp and own someone's good shit, they would go wandering for a victim.

This comment really shows you've never PVP'd and know nothing about it. Most PvPers on S want the PvP easily accessible around the roads, we do not want to have to circle the map every hour to find it.

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

We now have beds enabled so I believe that makes spawn camping less frequent and will make people less likely to do it

I had an idea last night that's sort of relevant: what if there was an ender chest in spawn? You could grab some gear before jumping down and be more properly equipped.

This idea combined with beds being enabled I believe will kill off any spawn camping issues from that point on Edited by coolgamerovr90